Favorite 45 (Single)

Dan Gould

Sweet, "Fox on the Run"

Bay City Rollers, "Saturday Night"

The Rolling Stones, "Get Off Of My Cloud" (purchased as an "oldie" when I was 11 in 1977, the same summer that I purchased my first LP--the Ramones' LEAVE HOME, yeah!)

Holy crap----the first album you purchased was the Ramones' Leave Home? How cool is THAT? Ghost, you are THE MAN!!!

I grew up with all of my moms 45s. My favorite was The Peppermint Twist by Joey Dee and the Starlighters.

I love that Roulette label. Thank you Morris Levy!

Joey%20dee%20starlighters.JPG

I still have all my 45s. I'll dig though the box later and list some of the really bad and goofy ones. ;)

Edited by Irwin Mainway

Well I'm gonna take this question in the spirit I think it was intended, goin' way back to early childhood. There was a bunch but the Doobies' "Black Water" sticks in my head...they were huge in the San Jose area where I grew up, with many of the band having Bay Area roots. I must have played that single 8 million times.

My first 2 were Banana Splits 45s from Kellogg's. Actually they're EPs as there are 2 songs on each side. I'm guessing my Mom sent in some box tops and a buck or two for the 45s and posters. By the way, "Doin' The Banana Split" was written by Barry White.

Many of my first 45s were '70s crapola.

Jim Stafford - Spiders & Snakes

Blue Swede - Hooked On A Feeling

Ray Stevens - The Streak

C.W. McColl - Convoy

Breaker breaker good buddy, I think I had a thing for novelty songs. My 1st 45 bought at Grants for 67 cents was a bit better - Paul McCartney's "Jet."

After graduating to LPs (and buying some more crap before finding my way) I did pick up some (what I think are) better 45s later on. Had to get those Who import B sides that weren't available elsewhere at the time, and I have a few nice punk picture sleeves and the like from The Jam, Sex Pistols, X, MDC and other melodic memorable bands of the time. Oh yeah, a "Nazi Punks Fuck Off" arm band that came with the Dead Kennedys' 45. Perfect for formal evening wear or just strolling around town!

First 45 (a gift): Don't Sleep In The Subway by Petula Clark. Still have a VERY soft spot for Pet's best, mostly penned and/or arranged by Tony Hatch and Jackie Clarke.

Next 45: Windy by the Association

First 45 purchased: Itchycoo Park by the Small Faces. Great tune, but it was the flip side I played over and over - I'm Only Dreaming is a simple pop masterpiece. Later on I also got the Faces' The Universal single.

Other 45s I remember fondly: Lady Madonna by Fats Domino and Blue Greens by William Truckaway. A real lost classic: Avenging Annie by Andy Pratt.

I had a radio-only thing for Spanky and Our Gang. I also had an album with the Mamas and the Papas' lovely "Twelve-Thirty (Young Girls Are Coming to the Canyon)" on it but had no idea WTF it was all about.

After all that it was all downhill - Hendrix, the Animals, Muddy Waters, the Dead, Bob Wills, Doug Sahm, Professor Longhair, the Pistols, the MC5 and onwards!

Elvis: Hound Dog/Don't Be Cruel. Now there's a double bill. But now that I think of it, I may have had this on '78. But the one I remember the look of the best was "That'll be the Day".

Definitely on '45, though I never owned it. I just remember seeing it at parties. (So I guess you can see how old I am.)

Still have them all...

"The Twist" b/w "Twistin' USA" - Chubby Checker

"Shaft" b/w "Cafe Regios" - Isaac Hayes

but remember playing the heck out of Edgar Winter's "Frankenstein".

My first 45 was "On The Good Ship Lollipop" Shirley Temple, only because I had that for tap class. Made it thru first recital and I was outta there. Savion Glover I was not...white I was!

Never owned one of them 45s but I did test out one of my dad's, I think it was The Shadow's Walk Don't Run. Quite liked this instrumental.

"Green Onions" by [i think] Booker T. and the M.G's.

I had a record-player that you could set the spindle-arm off to the side and the same record would keep on repeating, indefinitely.

Edited by patricia