Favorite 45 (Single)

Dan Gould

As a child, I was quite pop-music oriented and spent many hours listening to the radio with my mom. Apparently, my very first "favorite" song was "Age of Aquarious", but I have a warm spot in my heart for a lot of early 70s dreck, simply because of the childhood memories that go with them.

So, as a counter-weight to the worst songs thread, I thought people should chime in with their favorite singles, way back when. Doesn't have to be something that kind of embarrasses you now, just the tunes you really loved when they were "hot".

My top two picks would be

The Hollies, "Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress"

Stealers Wheel, "Stuck in the Middle With You"

Love that guitar part in the Hollies tune, and the mysterious lyrics!

I remember playing the hell out of these. My music taste developed as a direct result of what was playing at the roller rink. ;)

Chicago - Saturday in the Park

Boston - More Than a Feeling

Ozark Mountain Daredevils - Jackie Blue

Catesta, we have lived parallel lives... ^_^

early 70s dreck

Paper Lace - "The Night Chicago Died"

:angry: God, I hate that song. One of the kids in my neighborhood had that 45, and played the piss out of it every time we were at his house. It's taken 30 years to purge my memory of that song, and now it's back.... argh!!

How about some late 70's disco dreck:

Alicia Bridges - "I Love the Nightlife" (Action ... I got so much to give. I want to give it. I want to get some too.) :rolleyes:

Foxy - "Get Off"

Chic - "Le Freak"

I also had Chicago and Boston (what is it with bands named after cities?), but not the 45's -- paper route money bought the entire LPs!

Before I was 5, I had just about worn the grooves (ok- groove) off a RCA Victor 45 of Jim Reeves' "Billy Bayou". The 2nd most heavily played 45 of those years was "The Chipmunk Song" b/w "Almost Good", the B-side getting more play, although not by much.

If 78s count, I had a sheetload full of Childrens Record Guild issues (favorite was probably the various "Adventures of Muffin" sides) and Little Golden Records, which, yeah, later came out on 45s. My folks made the conversion for me. Guess I was programmed early! Favorite LGR 78 must have been The Adventures of Rudy Kazoo, favorite LGR 45 was probably a tie between Mr. Green Jeans singing "Waltzing Matilda" and Shari Lewis doing "Hi Lilly, Hi Lilly, Hi Lo" (sp?).

I started buying Pop 45s when I was about 10, albums at 11, and stopped (for quite a while) by the time I was 13 and into jazz. Favorite 45 during those years is too close to call, w/Beatles singles being disqualified, but I had a thing for B-sides - "Straight Shooter" by The Mammas & The Papas (flip side of "Twelve-Thirty (Young Girls Are Coming to the Canyon)" (only later did I realize what the song was really about), " (It Ain't Necessarily) Byrd Avenue" by Spanky & Our Gang (flip of "Sunday Will Never Be the Same"), quirky, off beat pop stuff.

Edited by JSngry

I was gonna say that my favorite 45 was the Albert Ayler/Ornette Coleman split on ESP (ever seen that one?), but that's off-subject.

Always more of an LP fan than a single-fan, but I remember liking those Disney 45 and 33 seven-inches as a kid. I think my first 45 was a Shellac record, probably "The Rude Gesture" or some such. I was suspicious of the medium, but had to have it. Still don't like 45s as much, but what can you do?

Statler Brothers- Flowers on the Wall (Might have been on a LP, I still played the track to death when I was 3-4 years old)

Rod Stewart-Do ya think I'm Sexy :rolleyes: My Mom and I laughed at the thought of anyone thinking he was sexy, but still loved the song for some reason...

Also the group, Chicago did some wonderful early stuff. Catesta mentioned Saturday in the Park. They had some great tunes and I loved the brass section.

How about Boz Scaggs, "Lowdown?" Great funky pop.

All time classic: Don Mclean, "American Pie." Everybody loved that single when it came out.

Also Harry Chapin's "Taxi."

Two of my favorite singles of all time are "He's Sure the Boy I Love" and "One Fine Day" though they came out when I was a pre-schooler.

I got into buying singles in my late teens/early 20's, and bought oldies almost exclusively. But I did get some more contemporary stuff: Sex Pistols, XTC, Flipper, Stiff Little Fingers, Elvis Costello. Hard to name a favorite from that bunch.