LF: Ellington "Afro Bossa"

This was released on Discovery Records cd in the early years of digital, and I haven't seen it around in some time.

I believe it may have been reissued paired with another Reprise Ellington on a European cd, but my recollection of the details is not to be trusted. . . .

You guys are good as usual. Flipped over to Dusty and so it is...

Guess I will delete this request in a bit? Thanks so much. (and I didn't know that Lon's ol' buddy 'owned' Reprise)

1.   Duke Ellington --  Afro Bossa/Concert In The Virgin Islands . . . CD . . . $13.99   (Item: 46852)

WEA (France), Early 60s Condition: New Copy 

2 great albums from Duke Ellington -- both recorded for Frank Sinatra's Reprise label in the 60s, with an approach that's different than most of Duke's other work! Afro Bossa is the real winner here -- a very groovy album that's certainly Ellington's best for Reprise from the 60s, and a nice batch of tracks that have a distinctly Africanist leaning. We're not too sure about the "bossa", but the rhythm section does skip nicely at times, so you might be able to say that the album's kind of a bossa-ish session. Material's all original, and quite fresh for Ellington at the time. Titles include "Bonga", "Afro Bossa", "Tigress", and "Puple Gazelle". Concert In The Virgin Islands is a bit straighter, but still very nice -- and has some very interesting "tropical" type tunes -- like "Jungle Kitty", "Fade Up", "Island Virgin", and "Virgin Jungle", as well as some more standard Ellington material.

I'm a big fan of the Mosaic as well. As the ghost mentioned, there's lots more on this set than just the Afro Bossa material - which if fabulous by the way. I think this set is available at the retail level so its possible to snag it during a sale.