Sidney Smart

brownie

Sidney Smart is the outstanding drummer who plays on the opening disc of the Jimmy Lyons box set, the September 1972 session recorded at Studio Rivbea. The more I listen to that disc, the more impressed I am with his playing. A drummer in the Andrew Cyrille/SteveMcCall tradition who propels the men he plays with thru his amazing dynamics.

I had heard him before on the 1976 Sam Rivers double LP 'Black Africa' on Horo (with Joe Daley and Don Pullen) where he was also very impressive.

The notes on these albums don't say much about him.

Did a search on the internet and could not find anything beyond references to the Lyons box.

Anybody knows what happened to him? Is he still playing? Any other interesting albums he appeared on?

Syd Smart is a Boston based drummer, percussionist, educator. He established the first John Coltrane Memorial concert with bassist Hayes Burnet, and saxophonist Leonard Brown.

The first concert was held in Boston on Sunday evening, July 17, 1977 in the Friends of Great Black Music Loft, a performance space for creative arts established by percussionist Smart.

I haven't seen Syd in a year or two. I believe he is more involved in education than performance these days although he does participate in the ongoing Coltrane Memorial every year.