Guy Lafitte

couw

So, here I am playing one disk by Guy Lafitte and popping the next after that, and the next one after that. Not that I have many, but he's such a nice, warm, and friendly player it's hard to depart from this sweet stuff and move on.

Any opinions / recommendations?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Barney Wilen to Guy Lafitte. Going back in time, Couw? Soon you'll be catching up on Alix Combelle.

Guy Lafitte was real good. And a very nice person. Spent some great evenings listening to him at the Trois Maillets club in the heart of the Quartier Latin in the late '50s when I was starting my jazz education.

Most of his best records were done around that time for the French Columbia and Pathe labels but I don't think they have been reissued. He made a number of excellent albums in the eighties for Black and Blue including 'The Things We Did Last Summer' and 'Guy Lafitte Joue Charles Trenet' which should still be available.

His 1954 'Blue and Sentimental' album is also out on the Jazz in Paris series. So is the session he did with Lionel Hampton which was reissued as part of the 'Americans Swinging in Paris'.

There's also one track 'Indiana' which was recorded at a French Riviera jazz festival where Lafitte and Barney Wilen play alongside Don Byas, Stan Getz and Coleman Hawkins. This was issued on one of the Europa Jazz LPs.

He was from the Coleman Hawkins and Hershel Evans school of straight-ahead no-frill sax players.

Lafitte was a fixture at the Marciac jazz festival (in southwestern France) for years until his death in 1998. Lafitte was from the area and spoke with a thick local accent.

I just ordered a bass/tenor duo disk of Lafitte w/ Pierre Boussaguet, titled Crossings. It was only 3EUR so hard to go wrong. If I understand correctly this was recorded (released?) in 1999; you write he died in '98?

Good to know that those Black & Blues are also worth the price. Will seek these out if I stumble on them; they do seem to be available. I see he's also on a disk with Saxomania (1993, IDA), anyone know what to expect of that? It seems this is a group of 5 saxes + rhythm... looks interesting.

Lafitte has a really lovely velvet tone; much like Byas I'd say. Besides the Blue & Sentimental disk you mention, I also have the JiParis disk of Jack DiƩval and his group, which is very nice swing to bop in a pseudo radio broadcast setting. That Hampton (AmSwiParis) you mention is also part of my modest collection; he's also featured on 4 tracks of the Lucky T disk from the same series. Stunning material.

Found this about the RiviĆØra Festival:

58.3-Europa Jazz : Barney Wilen, Don Byas, Guy Lafitte, Coleman Hawkins, Stan Getz (ts) Martial Solal (p) Arvell Shaw (B) J. C. Heard (d)

Live Broadcast, Cannes, France, July 13, 1958, Europa Jazz EJ-1008

Indiana (8:05)

Now's the Time - unreleased

bof!

it was this beautiful picture that originally made his name stick with me. A guy named Guy Lafitte, looking like a perfect gentleman, and pouring everything he has into his horn. When the JiParis series came around, I remembered and bought.

RenƩ Urtreger is on piano. No idea who the other two are. The photo was taken in the Chameleon club somewhere in the 60s. I have no info on the photographer.

I have the live duet album with Pierre Boussaguet - it was recorded in 1997.

Another I enjoy very much is called "Charme," on Emarcy, by Pierre Boussaguet with Lafitte, HervƩ Sellin on piano, and Alvin Queen on drums. It was recorded in 1998, and on the title track Lafitte recites a very nice poem he wrote to/about Johnny Griffin. He had a beautiful, raspy, expressive speaking voice.

Boussaguet is an excellent bassist, a sure-footed walker with a big, fat tone. I saw him play a duo concert with Tommy Flanagan at the now defunct Petit Opportun, the archetypal tiny basement club in Paris, and also in a James William trio with Tony Reedus on drums. He'd be on a lot of records if he lived in New York.

I think that is likely Daniel Humair on drums in that photo. . . . What's the educated guess on the bassist?Ā  Michelot?Ā  Rovere?

Lon, you're wrong. For once ;) It is not Daniel Humair on drums. Don't know who this drummer is. No doubt about Urtreger on piano.

Not educated enough to identify the bass player B)

Edited by brownie

John, do you have an idea when this photo was taken?

I only have the JiP, but that was quite a revelation - he's got a beautiful sound.

Brownie, any Combelle recommendations? I know him from some stray tracks (I don't even remember where from, exactly, probably with Django?), and I'd like to hear some more of him.

ubu

Brownie, any Combelle recommendations? I know him from some stray tracks (I don't even remember where from, exactly, probably with Django?), and I'd like to hear some more of him.

Alix Combelle's glory day was his participation in the April 1937 Swing Records session led by Coleman Hawkins (with Benny Carter and Django Reinhardt) which produced 'Honeysuckle Rose' and 'Crazy Rhythm'.

Coleman Hawkins was in top form throughout the date but Combelle managed to shine through on those two tracks where he shared the tenor saxophone solos.

He played clarinet on the other sides from the session.

Classics has released at least two Combelle albums.

He also shone on the 1953 Lionel Hampton in Paris session (with Mezz Mezzrow and Clifford Scott) that was recorded for Vogue and has been reissued a number of times.

Alix Combelle's glory day was his participation in the April 1937 Swing Records session led by Coleman Hawkins (with Benny Carter and Django Reinhardt) which produced 'Honeysuckle Rose' and 'Crazy Rhythm'.

Coleman Hawkins was in top form throughout the date but Combelle managed to shine through on those two tracks where he shared the tenor saxophone solos.

He played clarinet on the other sides from the session.

Classics has released at least two Combelle albums.

He also shone on the 1953 Lionel Hampton in Paris session (with Mezz Mezzrow and Clifford Scott) that was recorded for Vogue and has been reissued a number of times.

brownie, thanks! I have the Django/Hawk date.

Is the Hampton the one released in the Original Vogue Masters series? Or in the JiP? I think I have that, too.

I will keep the Classics in mind.

ubu

Received the Crossings disk this afternoon. Absolutely wonderful performance by Lafitte and Boussaguet (bass). It's a live recording of somewhat over an hour featuring mostly slow to mid tempo tunes. Lafitte plays with a more raspy tone than what I am used to, but often enough returns to his good old loveliness. His command of the horn is great and the often abrupt changes between the more raspy and the sweeter (and often amazingly soft) parts are very intruiging. Nice swinging set of tunes/improvisations. Recommended. :tup

• 2 weeks later...

I know Lafitte only from the session with Lucky Thompson, which is very nice. Is his tone on his Jazz In Paris CD similar to that on the Thompson session? If so, I would go for it.

Yes, the Lucky T material is from 1956, the material on the Lafitte JiParis disk is from 1954. Sweet and lovely tone on both accounts. The DiƩval JiParis disk also features Lafitte and was recorded in 1956.

Don't get me wrong on my assessmet of Lafitte's tone on the disk w/ Boussaguet. It is not raspy by objective standards, I was judging from the Lafitte I know. In general Lafitte plays with a sweet tone and a very gentle bounce with an easy-does-it drive.