Norah Jones

Tjazz

• 10 years later...
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Norah Jones has a new album out on Blue Note with two women named Sasha Dobson and Catherine Popper, performing country songs. I’ve seen a photo of the band, and the gals are wearing cowboy boots. The name of the band? Wait for it…Puss n’ Boots. Words fail me.

This is a very smart career move. In my business I have to socialize with a lot of people of different ages from around the U.S., all of whom are not jazz experts. It has struck me many times that today's pop country music is now THE popular music of America. It is immensely popular. Look at who is performing in the football stadiums, outdoor amphitheaters and large arenas in any big city. Except for older rock stars like Paul McCartney, it will be almost all today's pop country music.

Some of it sounds just like 1970s rock. In fact, Lynyrd Skynyrd songs from the 1970s are played now on one of the nation's top country hits of today radio station (syndicated around the U.S.)

We can smirk about someone performing country music today, but then we are just like adults in 1964 saying that this Beatles garbage will never last, is just trash, etc. etc. It just shows that the writer is severely out of touch with today's listeners and music.

Oh yes, the only other kind of music that anyone from around the U.S. seems to listen to is hip hop, from what I can tell.

When I go to blues, jazz or classical concerts today, the attendance is low and virtually everyone for blues, jazz or classical has white hair or is bald from age.

So I am not that excited about a thread ridiculing Norah Jones for singing country music. She's a pop singer, not a jazz singer. So why do we care?

Edited by Hot Ptah

Not sure this is just a "career move." Norah grew up in Texas, and seems to have a genuine love for country music, if not it's latest pop manifestations. On her first album she covered a Hank Williams song. In fact, much of that first album sounds like a jazz/country hybrid, though much of that may be attributable to the genius of Arif Mardin.

I haven't (yet) heard any ridicule in this thread about Norah. Though if someone also mentions Oscar Peterson and Keith Jarrett, this board is doomed.

Not sure this is just a "career move." Norah grew up in Texas, and seems to have a genuine love for country music, if not it's latest pop manifestations. On her first album she covered a Hank Williams song. In fact, much of that first album sounds like a jazz/country hybrid, though much of that may be attributable to the genius of Arif Mardin.

I haven't (yet) heard any ridicule in this thread about Norah. Though if someone also mentions Oscar Peterson and Keith Jarrett, this board is doomed.

Don't forget Phil Woods.

It probably depends on where you live who is filling the amphitheaters. In Texas, sure, lots of pop-country stars are cleaning up in the stadium game. On the east coast, r&b, Latin music and the poppier realm of hip-hop fill the stages.

Never listened to Norah knowingly, though I'm sure I've heard her. She's supposedly a very nice lady. Friends in Austin have known her and had nothing but good things to say. I don't listen to pop music so can't judge.

What's wrong with Phil Woods?

I wasn't bashing Norah for singing country music, I was bashing the name of the group. And I think her best stuff to date has been more in the indie-rock vein, not the work that produced her early hits.

Edited by CraigP

I honestly couldn't tell you at this point what it was, but I remember hearing a recording of her doing a standard-type jazz tune, and everything was wrong about it, particualrly her phrasing, her phrasing, and also her phrasing. It might even have been something from Prairie Home Companion.

Edited by AllenLowe

I don't find her phrasing on what might be jazz I've heard her play to be that terrible, but we all have different ideas. She sings jazz better than I do!

Scott, I think that Blue Note has not been exclusively a jazz label this century. It's a broader brand now.

Yeah, but I say who cares, Allen? She's talented and has an ear for pleasant and catchy tunes.

Monk's phrasing was "all wrong", too. Remember?

I don't find her phrasing on what might be jazz I've heard her play to be that terrible, but we all have different ideas. She sings jazz better than I do!

Scott, I think that Blue Note has not been exclusively a jazz label this century. It's a broader brand now.

Yeah, I know. But even to this day if someone says Blue Note, what's the first thing that comes to mind?

And wasn't she one of the first, or at least biggest, non Jazz artists they signed?

Edited by Scott Dolan

She was signed as a jazz artist, actually. When they found her here, that's what she was doing, lounge/club gigs doing standards, and htat's what they origianlly had in mind for her. The Bruce Lundvall got to thinking about it...

Haven't cared about her for a very, very long time now, but the lady has mad skills, and Puss n’ Boots, that's like hey, you think you gonna own this Puss, nah, WE own this Puss, so everything else starts from that, now, what were you saying?

And hello Nancy Sinatra, talking about who's gonna own the Puss AND Who Gots The Boots. Still a role model after all these years!

More power to her (Norah), just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't wish anything but the best for her.

It probably depends on where you live who is filling the amphitheaters. In Texas, sure, lots of pop-country stars are cleaning up in the stadium game. On the east coast, r&b, Latin music and the poppier realm of hip-hop fill the stages.

Never listened to Norah knowingly, though I'm sure I've heard her. She's supposedly a very nice lady. Friends in Austin have known her and had nothing but good things to say. I don't listen to pop music so can't judge.

What's wrong with Phil Woods?

Phil is not a favorite of some members of this board, to put it mildly.

I honestly couldn't tell you at this point what it was, but I remember hearing a recording of her doing a standard-type jazz tune, and everything was wrong about it, particualrly her phrasing, her phrasing, and also her phrasing. It might even have been something from Prairie Home Companion.

Thanks for clarifying. I've not played her debut for a long time, but I found it likeable enough ... warm sound, nice voice ... but ultimately also the kind of music that's not hurting anyone. Will get an earful of this trio. I stumbled over the cover (or maybe even that photo w/hats, I dimly remember something like that), but didn't even notice NoJo was on it.

Also, Monk's phrasing was of course spot on most of the time ... apples and oranges (and different leagues, too, I'd assume).

This is what she was doing in local clubs when she was signed by Blue Note.

Whether or not it's "true jazz" or "right phrasing" or not, hell if I know. In hindsight, there's a lot of other things going on up in there if you're not listening with jazztunnelvisioned ears (which Lundvall obviously wasn't, not sure about most others) But this is what got their attention, her doing this like this.

but I found it likeable enough ... warm sound, nice voice ... but ultimately also the kind of music that's not hurting anyone..

I read an interview with Norah where she says "I hate talking to mothers...I've had so many conversations where they say 'I LOVE your album...my child falls asleep so quickly while it's on!"