Norah Jones

Tjazz

I was in Chicago once, and walked by this stripper bar called "Puss 'n Boots", peered in the door and saw a counter where they were selling "panties worn by your favorite stripper". Creeped me out and I didn't go in and I love strippers and dives, but creeped me out less than Snora and the adulation and apologetics thereof...

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad humor harms the entire world, and you love strippers.

It's getting pretty difficult to take anything you say seriously.

As for Norah, nobody is apologizing for enjoying her music. That's just a fantasy you've concocted because you don't have the capacity to believe anyone would like her music on it's own merits.

I am extremely offended by the reponse to my post, which really distorted not only what I said but turned it into something demeaning and nasty.

However, if you feel that those of us who take the performance of jazz and improvised music seriously, as something of a sacred mission and deeply personal expression,and, yes, as an ART form, are deluded and snobbish, then what the fuck are you doing here?

I have really had it with the lack of respect and the snide crap that too often passes for discussion on this forum, the passive/agressive crap of people like 7/4, and the general level of what appears to be something else but which amounts to personal attack (yes, you guys are masters of deniability). I have worked too hard for too long to be ridiculed and snidely dismissed, as though I am some kind kind of ivory tower, detached, distant observer of this music.

So go fuck yourselves, this is my last post here.

Edited by AllenLowe

C'mon Allen. All the stuff you sling and you're upset about this, and I bet very few or anyone here is insulting you in the way you seem to feel or harbor any dislike or ill will towards your musical efforts.

Well said.

Allen, if you can't take it, why dish it out?

I have no ill will towards you personally, or professionally. But there are consequences for your words, just like anyone else.

And whether you meant for your comments to sound condescending to Norah Jones or not, they most certainly came across that way. She was "dabbling" in your genre of choice, and you didn't much care for it. Well, too bad. I always figured Jazz always sought to be democratic and inclusive. Not the exclusive members only art form you're presenting it as.

A major kerfuffle over nothing.I bought Nora Jones first album & nothing since.I guess she's better than Taylor Swift, but why do we care so much?Allen Lowe's music OTOH is worth your serious attention IMO.Snobs like me keep the standards up.

Your comments combined with Allen's sound disturbingly similar to John Tynan's comments about Coltrane and Dolphy.

Defend the perceived fortress!

A major kerfuffle over nothing.I bought Nora Jones first album & nothing since.I guess she's better than Taylor Swift, but why do we care so much?Allen Lowe's music OTOH is worth your serious attention IMO.Snobs like me keep the standards up.

Your comments combined with Allen's sound disturbingly similar to John Tynan's comments about Coltrane and Dolphy.

Defend the perceived fortress!

I have no idea what the "perceived fortress" is. I love Coltrane & Dolphy together, separately, whatever.

Are you saying I called Norah Jones the "anti-jazz"?

Sorry I disturbed you, but you seem a little obsessed with this issue.

If you like woman singers of the non-jazz ilk, spend a little time with Karen Berquist of Over The Rhine.

There - I got snobby again.

Your comments combined with Allen's sound disturbingly similar to John Tynan's comments about Coltrane and Dolphy.Defend the perceived fortress!I have no idea what the "perceived fortress" is. I love Coltrane & Dolphy together, separately, whatever.Are you saying I called Norah Jones the "anti-jazz"?Sorry I disturbed you, but you seem a little obsessed with this issue.If you like woman singers of the non-jazz ilk, spend a little time with Karen Berquist of Over The Rhine.There - I got snobby again.

The perceived fortress is whatever you deem near and dear. Just as Tynan perceived Jazz as being Swing and Bebop. Then when Coltrane and Dolphy tried taking their own thing in a different direction it was taken as a personal affront to the sacred.

Which is the same thing as what has been going on in this thread.

And now you seemingly throw a side of sexism into the mix.

It's all rather endearing in a troglodyte kinda way.

Lock the gates!

Allen, if it seemed like I insulted you with my post, I did not mean to do so. It just puzzles me that Norah Jones generates negative discussion, but if I started a thread on any other soft rock or light pop singer, there would probably be no discussion here. What is there about Norah Jones? She must operate on some deep level that I don't sense, and really creates profound reactions within the human brain. I find her pretty much nonconsequential, forgettable, but others do not. What is different about my brain?

Edited by Hot Ptah

I am extremely offended by the reponse to my post, which really distorted not only what I said but turned it into something demeaning and nasty.

However, if you feel that those of us who take the performance of jazz and improvised music seriously, as something of a sacred mission and deeply personal expression,and, yes, as an ART form, are deluded and snobbish, then what the fuck are you doing here?

I have really had it with the lack of respect and the snide crap that too often passes for discussion on this forum, the passive/agressive crap of people like 7/4, and the general level of what appears to be something else but which amounts to personal attack (yes, you guys are masters of deniability). I have worked too hard for too long to be ridiculed and snidely dismissed, as though I am some kind kind of ivory tower, detached, distant observer of this music.

So go fuck yourselves, this is my last post here.

yeah, sure.

The power of Norah......I'll have to listen to this album in the morning.

Allen, if it seemed like I insulted you with my post, I did not mean to do so. It just puzzles me that Norah Jones generates negative discussion, but if I started a thread on any other soft rock or light pop singer, there would probably be no discussion here. What is there about Norah Jones? She must operate on some deep level that I don't sense, and really creates profound reactions within the human brain. I find her pretty much nonconsequential, forgettable, but others do not. What is different about my brain?

It's very simple, really.

Norah Jones is not one of "those of us who take the performance of jazz and improvised music seriously, as something of a sacred mission and deeply personal expression,and, yes, as an ART form..."

See, she doesn't take improvising seriously because she changes up the phrasing on Jazz standards.

More farewells than Sinatra. The Comeback Tour's usually fun, book now

FWIW I really enjoyed the first Norah Jones album as singer-songwriter with a dash of jazz. Enjoyed her later efforts less as that dash diappeared - that is what this thread's about, isn't it? :)