Norah Jones

Tjazz

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something about Wynton, and Norah, and Kenny G, and Phil Woods, and Oscar Peterson, that just automatically brings out negativity on online discussion boards. There's material for one or more PhD theses in this phenomenon.

You forget Keith Jarrett and his mumbling.

Something about Wynton, and Norah, and Kenny G, and Phil Woods, and Oscar Peterson, that just automatically brings out negativity on online discussion boards. There's material for one or more PhD theses in this phenomenon.

If they were only mumbles it wouldn't be a hot button topic.

I love Keith, and have a healthy collection of his trio, but I do at least understand those annoyed by the vocal embellishments.

I think the common denominator (detinator?) in all these hot-button artists is the shtick (sp?) some hear that others don't...

Yeah.

Like that Eric Dolphy schtick to play as many notes as he could as quickly as he could.

If they were only mumbles it wouldn't be a hot button topic.

I love Keith, and have a healthy collection of his trio, but I do at least understand those annoyed by the vocal embellishments.

I think the common denominator (detinator?) in all these hot-button artists is the shtick (sp?) some hear that others don't...

Yeah.

Like that Eric Dolphy schtick to play as many notes as he could as quickly as he could.

I'm afraid I don't follow your logic here - someone else was wrong about something else therefore I'm wrong about this? Someone else was wrong...therefore be careful about sweeping pronouncements, that I get. Dolphy didn't play near as many notes per minute or per bar as Parker, but he did like big intervals and kinda herky jerky phrasing that emphasized them, I kinda like that but others could legitimately not. Something 'bout Nora just strikes me in a very gut-level way as wrong, but then there are very few 21st century singers I have any use for at all.

In trying to understand Allen's behavior in this thread, I think that looking for some hidden meaning in Norah Jones is missing the point.

...I have worked too hard for too long to be ridiculed and snidely dismissed...

Sadly, I think this statement probably relates to far too many of Allen's experiences as a musician. No one can deny that he is a very talented artist and a notable musicologist. What kind of rewards has he received for all of his efforts? What must it be like to repeatedly see others who are arguably less talented and less devoted to their craft reap the benefits of large-scale marketing and an audience that doesn't demand enough from the music they typically enjoy? Those of us working in education, healthcare, social services and other underpaid and unappreciated fields surely have had similar ("What the fuck?!") moments like this.

In the past, I've been openly critical of Allen's bashing of a few popular artists. Although I don't agree or approve, I'm trying to be more understanding and appreciative of artists like him who strive to create and share something of value, something that can elevate and enhance our experience in life. Yes, Allen can be a smart ass at times and a pain-in-the-ass at other times, and I don't believe in necessarily giving artists a "free pass" regarding their personal behavior. Instead, I'm suggesting that one might want to pause, reflect, and try to empathize before drawing any conclusions.

I've been lucky to hang out with Allen frequently. Sure, there is bitterness sometimes but it's not unreasonable given the situation and he's really a kind and generous guy (not to mention great musician-composer). I still can't understand caring about Norah Jones one way or the other, but regardless, it's too bad that this thread was the straw that broke the camel's back.

In trying to understand Allen's behavior in this thread, I think that looking for some hidden meaning in Norah Jones is missing the point.

...I have worked too hard for too long to be ridiculed and snidely dismissed...

Sadly, I think this statement probably relates to far too many of Allen's experiences as a musician. No one can deny that he is a very talented artist and a notable musicologist. What kind of rewards has he received for all of his efforts? What must it be like to repeatedly see others who are arguably less talented and less devoted to their craft reap the benefits of large-scale marketing and an audience that doesn't demand enough from the music they typically enjoy? Those of us working in education, healthcare, social services and other underpaid and unappreciated fields surely have had similar ("What the fuck?!") moments like this.

In the past, I've been openly critical of Allen's bashing of a few popular artists. Although I don't agree or approve, I'm trying to be more understanding and appreciative of artists like him who strive to create and share something of value, something that can elevate and enhance our experience in life. Yes, Allen can be a smart ass at times and a pain-in-the-ass at other times, and I don't believe in necessarily giving artists a "free pass" regarding their personal behavior. Instead, I'm suggesting that one might want to pause, reflect, and try to empathize before drawing any conclusions.

Well said.

Ah, I get you now. If you like it, it's a style. If you don't it's a schtick.

Eh, that's human nature, I suppose. Still doesn't make it right.

No, I assume that there is a difference, however poorly I might explain it.

I've been lucky to hang out with Allen frequently. Sure, there is bitterness sometimes but it's not unreasonable given the situation and he's really a kind and generous guy (not to mention great musician-composer). I still can't understand caring about Norah Jones one way or the other, but regardless, it's too bad that this thread was the straw that broke the camel's back.

It's probably not. He never goes away.

I had to block him on Facebook a few years ago, because he was harassing me online.

Edited by 7/4

Same here too.

Anybody is free to listen to and enjoy whatever MOR singalonger they prefer but hey, not all that has a jazz label attached to it strictly for marketing purposes really IS jazz. Nor do they have to be jazz to be listenable to in their own right by those who like to listen to them, particularly because it would speak rather poorly for any artist AND their audience if they could stand on their own feet only on the strength of a "jazz" tag. But THAT is a debate that has been led ages ago, isn't it?

Same here. This thread sucks. I thinks points were made rather clearly, both by Allen and Jim. Would be okay, I guess, to have some sort of grown-up discussion, but that seems impossible - and at that, futile, too.

Right, but whose at fault in that regard?

Nobody said anything that should have forced a rational human being to say fuck it.

I certainly understand where he's coming from, but it is misplaced and condescending for reasons that have already been expounded on.

As a fan of the genre, I do not condone any language that turns Jazz into some kind of exclusive club.

I'll be the first to admit that I have heard much of Allen's stuff online, and thinks his shit don't stink. Be that as it may, I also don't think Norah Jones' shit is shit.

Either way, Allen is reading all of this, and probably feeling a little better about himself right about now. And if he's anything like me when I would "voluntarily ban" myself from message boards, is probably feeling a little silly or embarrassed. Hey, I'm man enough to admit it. Been there far more times than I care to remember, as many of you know.

If he's truly gone for good, it's his loss as much as it is ours.