Who did Larry Young play with...

Jim Alfredson

Hi friends,

Fellow Detroit organist Duncan McMillan and I are currently planning a benefit for Larry Young to provide his grave with a headstone and perhaps even raise a little money for his widow. We'll be traveling to New York City soon to scope out possible venues and we've decided to feature several different organists for the event.

We're looking to get Dr. Lonnie Smith, Bill Heid, Sam Yahel and Organissimo. For the other cats, we'd like to get some top notch sidemen that have a history with Larry Young.

Can you all help listing some musicians that Larry played with that are still with us?

So far we've got...

Elvin Jones

John McLaughlin

Well, here's everybody on the Larry Young Mosaic box, which should be Larry's entire BN output... I took out the names I know have passed away, but there are plenty here that I have no idea about if they're still alive, let alone playing (the bottom half of the list).

(still active, that I know of)

George Benson - guitar

Eddie Gale - trumpet

Bobby Hutcherson - vibes

Elvin Jones - drums

Sam Rivers - tenor sax

James Spaulding - alto sax, flute

(unknown status)

Althea Young - vocal

Stacey Edwards - conga

Eddie Gladden - drums

Byard Lancaster- alto sax, flute

Wilson Moorman III - drums

Herbert Morgan - tenor sax

Jerry Thomas - drums

Tyron Washington - tenor sax

Hank White - flugel horn

Eddie Wright - guitar

Plus there's two sessions with Miles, and plenty of these guys are still around...

August 21, 1969: Wayne Shorter (ss); Bennie Maupin (bcl); John McLaughlin (g); Chick Corea (el-p); Josef Zawinul (el-p); Larry Young (el-p); Dave Holland (B); Harvey Brooks (el-B); Jack DeJohnette (d); Lenny White (d); Charles Don Alias (d, perc); Jumma Santos [Jim Riley] (perc)

November 28, 1969: Steve Grossman (ss); Bennie Maupin (bcl); Herbie Hancock (el-p); Larry Young (org, celeste); Chick Corea (el-p); John McLaughlin (g); Khalil Balakrishna (sitar); Bihari Sharma (sitar, tamboura); Dave Holland (B); Harvey Brooks (el-B); Jack DeJohnette (d); Billy Cobham (d, perc); Airto Moreira (perc)

There's also James Blood Ulmer and Larry Coryell, from his post-BN projects.

Maybe Nathan Davis is still around, I think.

There are some ideas to get you started...

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I will add the personel from the Prestige sessions:

Testifying (Aug. 2, 1960):

Joe Holiday (ts)

Thornell Schwartz (g)

Jimmie Smith (drs)

Young Blues (Sep. 30, 1960):

Thornell Schwartz (g)

Wendell Marshall (B)

Jimmie Smith (drs)

Groove Street (Feb. 27, 1962)

Bill Leslie (ts)

Thornell Schwartz (g)

Jimmie Smith (drs)

Don't know if any of them are still with us.

Peter

Elvin would be, by far, the best guy to get. Great name recognition, and Jones is by a long shot the best known guy to have recorded on two Larry Young BN albums, both “Unity” and “Into Somethin”, both of which are in print, and relatively well known.

Man if you could get Elvin Jones, that would probably double or triple the success of this project. Good luck!!!

Realistically you might get Byard Lancaster....he lives in Philly, is still active, (but like all of us) is probably in need of a gig.

Also, George Braith played with Larry (although not on record of course). He is a good friend and gigs in NYC weekly.

...also, that's a GOOD call about Joe Chambers. He plays at SMOKE occassionally and has a realistic price I'm sure. I doubt Elvin is a realistic goal, but it doesn't hurt to ask I guess.

Also, if you're planning on doing this in NYC. Contact Bob Porter at WBGO in Newark. As I've read, they're in charge of the tombstone stuff and would be a cornerstone in promoting an event as such. Also he'd be a good guy to help organize the talent as far as people who knew and played with Larry (especially the Newark guys). Eddie Gladden is still alive and living in Newark or thereabouts, but to my knoweldge has had a stroke of some sort and I don't know if he plays anymore or not. Bob would know.

Edited by Soul Stream

Although he'd never play (probably), you might try contacting Carlos Santana (somehow). Young plays on his "Love Devotion Surrender"

f30459wpk1m.jpg

If Santana happens to be a fan of Young's BN work, he'd probably chip in $1,000 for the tombstone, or hopefully at least $500.

Just another idea...

Santana had great respect for Larry Young - I bet he'd pitch in something.

Let me know if you have problems contacting him or some of the others. I know someone who could hook you up.

Have you already contacted Bill Heid? I will see him this w/e.

Did you get my PM about Larry's copyright deposits?

I hope this will not be between 6/7-25; I will be unavailable!

Bertrand.

I have been off all day and to sign in tonight and see this just brings joy to me...

Please keep us informed how this goes... and please plan the event for a weekend. I want to be there and I will have shot if it's a Fri or Sat. A weekday & I'll have a tough time. Also, when you nail it down, make sure to let Guy Sterling at the New Jersey Star Ledger know. He's the one who started this whole thing.

You guys are great.

Later,

Kevin

I talked to Michael Cuscuna about a possible venue. He's gonna make a few calls and get back to me. He said that if there were "names" involved, it might make it easier. I don't know how these deals work so bear with me, but I gather that the "host" club would probably want to get some "name" players so they get a good draw so they can recover their operating expenses with the bar tab... just my guess.

It sounded like a weekend might be nearly impossible unless you found a sympathetic club manager. Most places would probably only be willing to give up an "off" night.

I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Later,

Kevin

Buddy Terry is still around (lives in New Jersey, I think), Larry played on was of his records as is Gildo Mahones in LA I think. The guys from his Arista dates are probably around as well. If the names are not up to snuff, than Smoke is your best bet then Smalls. If it gets better then maybe the Jazz Standard or Birdland or a Monday night at the Blue Note.

Buddy Terry! Funny thing is I don't know a thing about this guy but I have two records he did for Mainstream. One was rather adventurous and the other was kind of gospely. Both were quite good. The gospely one featured some good singers. Sorry but I can't recall the names of those lps and they are not exactly accesable right now. They must be listed on AMG. B)

Good news. Doug Carn just signed on and is very enthusiastic about the idea. That means we have three organists slated (myself, Bill Heid, and Doug) and we're currently trying to get at least one more (Dr. Lonnie Smith... we'll be talking to him this Memorial Day weekend) and perhaps Sam Yahel.

Coolness!

• 3 weeks later...