Who did Larry Young play with...

Jim Alfredson

How's the planning for this going??? Just curious...

It's going well. We're looking at October, sometime around Larry's birthday. We've been in contact with the brother of Carlos Santana who mention the idea to him and he was very receptive. We've tentatively got Dr. Lonnie Smith on board as well. We still need to find a venue in New York and also figure out what to do with the money. It seems Guy Sterling, the author of that article, has already purchased a headstone from partly his own money, so we'd like to pay him back. But then the question is what to do with any leftover. We've talked about setting up a scholarship fund at a local university and maybe making this an annual event. Kind of like Pete Fallico's Jazz Organ Fest out on the west coast.

Any ideas would be appreciated...

Hey b3-er, you mention that Santana was very receptive to the idea. As in making a contribution?? Or maybe (I know, the chances of this are 1 in a Million), receptive to the idea of playing the date??? :excited:

In any case, thanks for the update!!! Good to hear that you have "The Turbanator" on-board.

Best of luck with setting up the rest!!! :)

Be sure to let Bruce Gallanter of Downtown Music Gallery know what you're up to. DMG is the hippest retail music store in NYC. He should have some suggestions.

BTW: I manage the web site, at least for a few more weeks, for what ever that's worth.

• 6 months later...

I didn't either. But my buddy contacted John McLaughlin via email and he said that although the idea was nice, he didn't believe Young would want money spent on a tombstone. He thought the money should be spent on the living.

His wife confirmed this. But it hardly matters as the author of that original newspaper article went ahead and bought a tombstone himself. So whaddya gonna do?

Well hey man, put up a tombstone anyway, any damn place you feel like it. Imagine...

"Here may or may not lie the body of Larry Young, one of the greatest jazz artists of all time. That's for us to know and you to find out. But as long as you're here reading this, here's what you need to know..." etc. Have one of those Fast Food Drive-Through speakers playing samples constantly, and keep a supply of bio-disographical brochures readily available in one of those tube things that they use in front of houses that are for sale.

Why not?

• 17 years later...

I remember reading the late Bern Nix saying he saw Larry Young playing with James Blood Ulmer at a gig at Berklee. Bern Nix graduated Berklee in 75 so it may have been somewhere between 73-75ish. Possibly a trio gig. Bern Nix said that when he auditioned for Ornette Coleman, he met Ulmer and recognised him from seeing him play with Larry Young at that time. So possibly after or circa the Lawrence Of Newark album.