Joe Venuti/Eddie Lang Mosaic

I've been reading a book, recently, regarding the history of jazz. The book discussed what Venuti and Lang added to the development of jazz (along with Bix, Tram and Teagarden). The book was very positive about the style of play offered by Venuti and Lang. >Venuti/Lang Mosaic<

As is sometimes the case, there are no sample sound files on the Mosaic site for the Joe Venuti/Eddie Lang set. Is this set reminiscent of the Django Mosaic? Is the sound quality comparable to the Bix/Tram Mosaic?

213.jpg

Edited by wesbed

The sound quality is quite comparable in all ways to the Bix/Tram/Tea set. The material is varied. . . I personally don't feel that this is very similar to Django's music, it's different, and there are duets between Lonnie Johnson and Eddie Lang and other combinations that make this different than the Django sides as well. In a lot of ways the material is more comparable to the Bix/Tram/Tea set, when Lang and Venuti are in jazz groups.

I really like this stuff. I had most of the material on other sources, and still preordered the Mosaic because I am very excited at the direction that these represent, and happy with all those released.

I must admit, I'm looking forward to hearing some of these "older" newer sets (if that makes any sense) that Mosaic has been releasing. Maybe enough to actually pick up a few before they hit "running low" even. Heck, it happened with the Teagarden set, maybe it'll happen again!

Hey wesbed, was the book you were reading LOST CHORDS, by any chance? If so, Sudhalter did some of the liners for the Venuti-Lang Mosaic as well... I've listened to the set all the way through just once and don't feel qualified to offer a solid opinion on it, beyond the banal and not-so-helpful "I enjoyed it..." Your thread may well inspire me to re-visit it. (I also agree with Lon's assessment that this is a more varied set than the Django.)

• 2 weeks later...

There was a time, about a year ago, when I wouldn't have considered spending money on the Venuti/Lang Mosaic box. I'd recently purchased the Bix/Tram and the Django boxes, and figured I had enough music from that era. Recently, however, I've been listening to Armstrong's Hot Fives/Sevens Columbia box, enjoying the hell out of it, and also have been in a guitar mood.

Damn, the desire for the Venuti/Lang box sneaks up on me. :mellow:

Edited by wesbed

Yes.

There is also a two cd set on JSP that has material NOT on the Mosaic set.

and like many JSP's available earlier on separate single cds...amazing sound quality for late 20's recordings, those JSPs....

Edited by BERIGAN

• 15 years later...

I am resurrecting an ancient thread, but I managed to snag a Venuti/Lang box, discs sealed (but no giant book), for under $65 after shipping and tax.  I was at a store last year that had 5 loose discs being sold in 3 pieces (1 disc for $10 and the other discs at $20 for 2 discs).  I bought the single disc to sample the set, but I never anticipated finding the set for such a reasonable price. :)