Upcoming Freddie Hubbard RVGs

sal

I have volume one of Night of the Cookers on LP, and like the version of "Walkin." It is the tune that "cooks" to some degree. But I tend to agree with the negative reviews of the other tune, "Pensativa," which suffers from an uninspiring and monotonous rythm section and an equally unispiring "dual" between Morgan and Hubbard. It just seems to go on too long. Plus, I found out on listening to it because of this thread that my LP repeats toward the end of "Penasativa," which I guess means my copy really does go on forever! At least on "Walkin" James Spaulding plays a bigger role, and there seems to be more involvement of Big Black on the congas, both of which make it more interesting. The audience is clearly liking it, and it does sound like the band was having a good time.

Haven't heard the CD version, but perhaps this could benefit from a sonic upgrade. On my blue label re-issue the drums seem pretty dominant which may be a problem with the original live recording. Not one I would pick for a RVG re-issue though with others out there.