Upcoming Freddie Hubbard RVGs

sal

"Blue Spirits" and "Night of the Cookers" are two Freddie Hubbard albums that I have never heard before. Written reviews and discussion with others has given me the impression that these are not really up to par with Freddie's other Blue Note output. However, this board I trust most, and I'm sure most of you have heard these before. My question is....how are they?

I would definitely get Blue Spirits. A little more "out" for Hubbard than the hard bop stuff he was doing, but excellent music nevertheless. There has been a LOT of debate about Night of the Cookers -- some find the long tunes overblown and the playing not very good for the two trumpet titans of the time; others find it to be great live jam material. It would be interesting to hear how much the sound is improved by RVG, as the original cd reissue sounded muddy, but that just may be the recording.

I've never heard Night of the Cookers. But, if it can be compared to a jam session, I'll be buying and liking it for that reason, on it's own. A jam session, to me, is not always lot of 'excellent' playing. More like, just a 'lot' of playing. Some good and some not so good. But, you get to experience the groove of the moment, which is quite enjoyable for me.

maybe they'll have own track indices for Big Blacks's solos. I can skip them more easily then. IMHO he ruins a good groove and spoils a not too bright session even more. Don't expect true firework from Hubbard and especially not from Morgan.

Blue Spirits is a wonderful album, and probably the first to pick up of the two. The session with Joe Henderson is especially fine. Also, the bonus track "The Melting Pot," with Hosea Taylor on alto saxophone (let's see if that discographical error gets corrected this time around), is perhaps the best track on the disc. Very inspired playing there.

"Blue Spirits" and "Night of the Cookers" are two Freddie Hubbard albums that I have never heard before. Written reviews and discussion with others has given me the impression that these are not really up to par with Freddie's other Blue Note output. However, this board I trust most, and I'm sure most of you have heard these before. My question is....how are they?

Blue Spirits :tup

Night of the Cookers :tdown

IMHO :g:g

"Blue Spirits" is a fine album; I enjoy it more each time I listen to it, perhaps because Freddie tries harder than usual to bring some "construction" to his solos, rather than the aimless (shameless??) show of pyrotechnics that he so often resorted to in his career. "Night of the Cookers" has to be one of the all-time Blue Note flops .. like an expensive Hollywood blockbuster that never comes together, and doesn't hold the listener's interest ("Alamo" anyone??). With that lineup the session could have gone either way, unfortunately it just never jells, and the music is formless, "noisy," and frankly boring ... almost embarrassingly bad in places. It brings to mind the question "what were they drinking?"

If 'Night of the Cookers' is being released as an RVG, I wonder what reasoning was behind it being chosen as an RVG? I'm not doubting any of the negative 'Cookers' posts in this thread. I've read many opinions that 'Cookers' is not a great set of music.

Does Blue Note expect 'Cookers' to sell well? Is it an in-demand release? I wonder why Blue Note would choose this title to RVG versus any other Blue Note title? Why not spend the same money and Van Gelder's time to remaster something that is considered, by many, to be a 'good' release?

blue%20note%20407_thumb.jpgblue%20note%20408_thumb.jpg

Edited by wesbed

If 'Night of the Cookers' is being released as an RVG, I wonder what reasoning was behind it being chosen as an RVG? I'm not doubting any of the negative 'Cookers' posts in this thread. I've read many opinions that 'Cookers' is not a great set of music.

Does Blue Note expect 'Cookers' to sell well? Is it an in-demand release? I wonder why Blue Note would choose this title to RVG versus any other Blue Note title? Why not spend the same money and Van Gelder's time to remaster somthing that is considered, by many, to be a 'good' release?

I can only suggest that there was so much hype and "excitement" surrounding the original release that it became a top seller (after all, I fell for the hype!). Now Blue Note are hoping that lightening will strike again ... so many newbie collectors purchase Blue Notes indiscrimanently, simply because it is Blue Note, ignoring the turkeys that exist in that catalog. I was/am as guilty of this as anyone.

However, your point is well taken ... there are far more worthy projects than this one ...

"Blue Spirits" is an excellent album. The 3/4 tune, with McCoy doing his usual fine job with triple time, is wonderful. Hear how Hank Mobley comes in when things are really cooking. A great moment.

Don't judge the album by the extra tracks (I assume that they will again be added.) The original album was the thing.

By the way, it's a harpsichord, not a celeste.

I guess I'm in the minority that don't mind the "Night of the Cookers" releases. I have the TOCJs of these ones and, to my ears, they sounds good. Granted the sessions meander a bit, and Lee Morgan is slightly below his usual standards, but the jam is still nice.

I'd say check them out before you judge, but understand that the songs are very open-ended.

BLUE SPIRITS is darn good - it doesn't gel like an actual "album" because of the various sessions represented with the bonus tracks etc, to me it sounds like more of a sampler, but a really good one. For tenor sax Joe Henderson easily takes honors for me, though Hank sounds great too. That said, BLUE SPIRITS for me is probably 3rd or 4th or 5th on the list in terms of priority for Freddie's BNs, after READY FOR FREDDIE, HUB TONES, and HERE TO STAY (now THAT is gonna be a revelation for many when it's reissued!), and probably BREAKING POINT too. But again that's a fantastic line-up, so SPIRITS is still well worth picking up.

NIGHT OF THE COOKERS? Just cannot get into it so far. Have tried and tried. LOOONG tracks with uninspired, almost comically over the top blowing, which was probably one hell of a ride if you were there but just incredibly wearing 30 years later on CD. My only reservation is that if there is a similar sonic upgrade for this one as there was for some of the other RVGs of live dates - e.g. Rollins' Vanguard sessions, the Blakey Birdland and Bohemia stuff - then it could help. The shrillness and complete lack of dynamic range on the original CD issue in the U.S. certainly helps kill any potential joy in this music for me. So we'll see.

That said, BLUE SPIRITS for me is probably 3rd or 4th or 5th on the list in terms of priority for Freddie's BNs, after READY FOR FREDDIE, HUB TONES, and HERE TO STAY (now THAT is gonna be a revelation for many when it's reissued!)

I couldn't agree MORE, which leads directly to the obvious question: WHEN the hell is it going to be re-issued? I'd say Here To Stay is one of Hubbard's top two or three Blue Notes, easily. RVG the damn thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When the hell is it going to be re-issued? I'd say Here To Stay is one of Hubbard's top two or three Blue Notes, easily.

Cuscuna, in an e-mail, said: "2005." This one, along with The Big Beat. I tried to push Tippin' the Scales, with the King cover, but no response on that one.

He also made some mention about possibly reissuing Elmo Hope's Blue Note stuff as an RVG. Now that would be great!