Let's pick my Album of the Week for May 11-17

AfricaBrass

Please choose one:  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Howdy y'all,

I really enjoyed Rooster Ties' Album of the Week poll, so I figured I'd carry on the tradition. This poll will end on Friday, May 2 at 5pm (Pacific Time). The album that is the winner of the poll, will be the Album of the Week for May 11-17.

I think these would all be interesting choices. The Coltrane and Russell are two of my favorites, while the Coleman and Rollins would be interesting to dig into also.

Edit: I originally nominated J.A.W. to choose the next album, but he's unable to do so. So my here's my revised nomination. For the May 18-24 Album of the Week, I am nominating pryan.

:rsmile: :g :rsmile: :g :rsmile:

Edited by AfricaBrass

I really tried to find some interesting albums.

I was torn about choosing the Coleman title. I waivered between Shape of Jazz to Come, Change of the Century, and Free Jazz. I thought Change of the Century might be really interesting because it was recorded between the other two. I'm also more familiar with Shape of Jazz... and Free Jazz. I really haven't spent as much time with Ornette Coleman's earlier music as I should have, so this could be a good opportunity to increase my understanding of it.

The Coltrane has been one of my favorites since I became interested in jazz. It was recorded around the same time as Africa/Brass (which you can tell is a favorite of mine) and I've just always dug this record. I probably would have chosen Africa/Brass if it wasn't in the two cd Complete Sessions format. Either AB or the old Impressions release would have been good.

The Rollins is the only RCA title in print. I was trying to pick stuff that's easy to get. I'm not really familiar with the album, but the players on it are pretty interesting. You've got Coleman Hawkins and Don Cherry on the same album. Could be interesting. I have a bunch of Rollins discs and records, but I've never really gotten him yet.

The Pee Russell title was just rereleased, and it has long been a favorite of mine. I thought this might be an interesting AOtW because it bridges early and later jazz, and to me, Pee Wee Russell was always interesting. This is a neat album because it was very late in his career and here he is on Impulse, playing Modern material. There are songs by Coltrane, Coleman, and Monk.

I look forward to seeing what you guys choose.

:rsmile:

I've only actually heard one of these albums before, the Ornette one, but I chose SONNY MEETS HAWK because it's one I've eyed at stores many times but never 'pulled the trigger' on. Also, I have basically no Hawk in my collection :o , and this would be an excuse rectify that situation (I know, I know, I shouldn't need an excuse, but I'm really stuck on Pres at the moment). Plus, I recall Jim Sangrey had some interesting thoughts on this one back on the old board.

Thanks everyone for your help!

I'm excited to see what album will win.

I wish we could do them all. :D

Jazzbo,

What Pee Wee Russell cds would you recommend? I would really like to hear more of his music. I've got the Commodore cd and some stuff with Eddie Condon, but I'd like to explore more.

Thanks in advance!

:rsmile:

Edited by AfricaBrass

Well, that's a good question. All the sessions on OJC are very good and easy to find, but his early stuff and the stuff up to the end of the forties are among my very favorites. The Louisianna Rhythm Kings on Jazz Oracle has some great Pee Wee, and any time you see Pee Wee with Condonites the chances are that there is going to be some primo Pee Wee. I also really like his Dot lp "Plays Pee Wee Russell" BUT that is not just lying around waiting to be stumbled over; wish someone would reissue this, and more Dot sides in general. The Candid cd coled by Pee Wee and Hawkins is really great. Also really nice is an Arbors by Bobby Gordon called "Pee Wee's Song: the Music of Pee Wee Russell" which is a recording from some three or four years ago I think that celebrates his music and style, quite successfully.

Edited by jazzbo

While I haven't been participating lately in the Album of the Week (mainly because I haven't been in a jazz mood for a couple of weeks-been hitting the blues section; sorry!), I still had to vote for Russell, simply because I'm unfamiliar with him and an excuse to give him a shot would be welcome.

I voted for Pee Wee. I don't have any of these but I can pick up Pee Wee the easiest and now it gives me an excuse to do so!

Same with me.

The only Pee Wee I heard yet is his strange Newport appearance with the Monk Quartet and some things with Jimmy Giuffre. Nice but probably quite unessential, I think?

ubu

I listened to all the samples at bn.com, and went with the Ornette. (Probably won't matter in the end, since he's down in the polls.) Maybe "New York Is Now" and "Love Call" would be good to do sometime as an AOTW. (And really, there'd be plenty of justification for doing both a the same time.)

It was hard choosing the Ornette Coleman title.

I considered doing one of his BN releases, such as the Golden Circle discs. I figured that most of us had the Golden Circle recordings, but I wanted to branch out away from BN and I was hoping that many of us might have the Atlantic box set. I have to admit that I've had this set since it first came out and haven't given it nearly as much attention as I should have. I've listened to New York Is Now and Love Call more than I have his early Atlantic albums which are more well known.

I also saw there was a desire for some early Ornette in the thread about possible Album of the Week picks.

Right now, the Coltrane has two more votes than Pee Wee, but Ornette or Sonny could make a comeback.

8 hours to go!

:D

Edited by AfricaBrass

Time to start registering as a dozen other 'phantom' board members, and stuff the ballot box!!! :g:g:g

( Just kidding!!!! :P:P:P )

Good idea!

We should keep an eye on the new registrations today.

We can keep our eyes out for any colleagues of certain Viennese psychiatrists. ;)

:g