October 2004 Connoisseur Release (Proposed)

Kevin Bresnahan

Horace Silver – The United States Of Mind 2 CD - all three albums

Andrew Hill – Dance With Death - includes alt of title track

Jack Wilson – Easterly Winds

Larry Young – Of Love and Peace

Sam Rivers – Contours - includes alt of Mellifluous Cacophony

Bobby Hutcherson – Now! - Includes Hutcherson's set from "Blue Note Meets The LA Philharmonic" which includes different versions of three of the tunes from NOW

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:excited:

more Hill is always welcome especially this much talked about session. The other Wilson is pretty good so I'd welcome a non CC version of both of these.

Does MC know how much CC is killing my purchases of BN material ??!!! ( sorry for whinged aside)

great news ( if you live outside of Europe)

Edited by Clunky

Wish they weren't Connoisseurs however, for sonic reasons.

Aw c'mon. That "Fucshia Swing Song" was McMaster's portfolio piece! And the old Jrvg of "Easterly Winds" should be re-called! I'm hoping "Contours" loses a bit of it's shrilliness from the Mosaic in the way FSS came to be.

Now I'm only hoping that EMI doesn't make us say "wish they weren't Copy Controlled here in the States too".

Yeah, I sure do wonder what happened to the Booker Ervin/Woody Shaw "Back from the Gig" date?? It was on Michael's 'very early tentative list' back in December or January.

Don't know anything about those Horace Silver sides, so I can't comment, except to say that the one or two tracks I've heard 30-second samples of (from the recent Horace retrospective set), don't make for something I'm gonna buy on day #1.

"Dance With Death" is a decent album (some like it, and some don't), but in my book, it's always good to hear someone like Charles Tolliver playing in Hill's world. "Dance With Death" is nearly as 'inside' as Passing Ships (or at least in the same ballpark), so people here should take a chance on it. I didn't love it at first, but it grew on me after a while. :tup

I had a strong hunch "Easterly Winds" was gonna be in this next Conn round, or at least the one after that. Every time a Japanese copy came up on eBay, it would always go for top dollar - so that was some crude measure of demand. I've never heard it, and have always been interested - since Lee Morgan's on the date. :tup

I'm darn glad to see "Of Love and Peace" on the list. After "Mother Ship", it's my next-to-favorite of Larry's last four BN dates. Yeah, it's a little rough around the edges, and I've heard it suggested that it could have really used another rehearsal before the actual date (which I kind of agree with). But, never the less, there's an excitement to "Of Love and Peace" that I quite like, roughness and all. The version of "Seven Steps to Heaven" is really fun, and the whole date mostly works for me (more than it doesn't). And, of course, it's great to hear that some more Larry Young will be more easily available again soon. :tup:tup

Wow, I love "Contours", nearly as much as "Fuchsia...". This'll be great to have out as a single, finally. One of Sam's finest. :wub::wub::wub:

Can't say I'm overly excited about "Now!". I used to be (on paper), before I ever heard it, but I heard bits of a vinyl copy over at a buddies house last fall - and it's some pretty cheezy stuff, or at least what I heard (a couple full cuts, and drop-the-needle on the rest). Don't know anything about the bonus material, can anyone else here comment?? Are there vocalists on it too??

Edited by Rooster_Ties

This group doesn't overly excite me, except for Wilson's Easterly Winds, which I already have and the Larry Young, which I don't. I'm not familar with Horace's US of Mind but it seems that his stuff get issued over other deserving stuff. I mean, what does it take to get a g** d*** Three Sounds cd reissued, for Chriss sake. I have the early BN Sounds stuff but I know there are others who don't who would love it. I'm also all for Booker.

By the way, here's all the covers. There'll be a new cover for "Dance with Death", since it was part of the white-border series.

And I guess there could be a new cover for the Horace Silver?? -- or maybe not, and they'd use "Phase 1" for the CD cover?? -- who knows which. (My guess is that we'll get a modified version of the "Phase 1" cover, with the phrase "That Healin' Feelin'" replaced by "United States of Mind" - or something similar.)

Click on each cover to see a larger version.

blue%20note4%20040_thumb.jpg blue%20note4%20054_thumb.jpg blue%20note4%20072_thumb.jpg

bluenote3%20024_1_thumb.jpg blue%20note%20435_thumb.jpg blue%20note%20406_thumb.jpg

blue%20note4%20021_thumb.jpg bl7%20013_thumb.jpg

Click on each cover to see a larger version.

By the way, here's all the covers. There'll be a new cover for "Dance with Death", since it was part of the white-border series.

Rooster - my King LP of this one has a quite different cover, brown background with 'arty' array of blocks/squares (sorry - can't post a piccie of it to show what I mean ;) ). I wonder if BN will resurrect this one?

Horace Silver – The United States Of Mind 2 CD - all three albums

Larry Young – Of Love and Peace

Sam Rivers – Contours - includes alt of Mellifluous Cacophony

Bobby Hutcherson – Now! - Includes Hutcherson's set from "Blue Note Meets The LA Philharmonic" which includes different versions of three of the tunes from NOW

I'd be all over all of these 'cept Easterly Winds - got TOCJ.

Especially psyched for the Hutch and Rivers :)