Elvin Jones Mosaic

17 hours ago, king ubu said:

Hm, taking this off the shelves to check out Grossman again ... and not sure if I ever asked for a replacement booklet, as mine runs from pages 3-14 only and misses the beginning of the liner notes and the entire discography part ... that sucks, but I guess it's a bit late now.

If anyone with a correct booklet could scan pp 1/2 and 15/16 for me, that would be terrific!

My EJ Mosaic booklet had exactly the same issue - must have been a run of faulty ones - got it replaced soon after I received it in 2004

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, romualdo said:

My EJ Mosaic booklet had exactly the same issue - must have been a run of faulty ones - got it replaced soon after I received it in 2004

I'm really puzzled by this - I've gotten a few replacement (scratched discs, faulty booklets) over the years, never any trouble getting them ... I have no clue why I didn't ask for a new EJ booklet back in 2006, when I bought the box!

Just now, king ubu said:

I'm really puzzled by this - I've gotten a few replacement (scratched discs, faulty booklets) over the years, never any trouble getting them ... I have no clue why I didn't ask for a new EJ booklet back in 2006, when I bought the box!

did you notice at the time - I'm sure you would have - who doesn't look at/read those wonderful booklets

1 hour ago, romualdo said:

did you notice at the time - I'm sure you would have - who doesn't look at/read those wonderful booklets

I should have ... i have that routine of checking all the new stuff upon arrival ... and I did listen to the first part of the box right after getting it, as all that music was brand new to me!

At the risk of seeming pedantic, I would point out that the discographical error of "alto clarinet" persists (not the poster's fault). Frank Foster played a low clarinet usually called the contra-alto clarinet on these recordings. It is in Eb, a fifth below the Bb bass clarinet, and is an octave below the actual alto clarinet. Both models can easily be seen online. I was given one of these Elvin albums to review when it first came out, and we all assumed that it was a Bb bass clarinet. As I recall, Frank didn't play it below the range of the bass clarinet, though I didn't check at the time.

Elvin is my favorite drummer (though I love many others, of course) but I find a recording without piano a little dry and would greatly prefer to have one present.

Amazingly, Scott just replied--and they'll send me a good booklet! Outstanding!!!

(I've already printed Daniel's pics, nicely fitted together ... I'll have use for them and the faulty booklet, quite possibly, offering it with burns to a dear friend ... perfectly legal here to share copies with personal acquaintances--but not with online "friends")

Just checked my Elvin Mosaic booklet, which I’m sure I haven’t looked at since before moved to DC (so well over 9 years ago).

And I’m glad to report that my booklet is complete. (Couldn’t have sworn under oath if I remembered absolutely whether I’d looked thru it carefully - though I certainly would have thought I would have several times within the first few years since I’d bought the set).

Just checked my receipt too (still in the box), and it’s dated 19 years ago to the day, as of tomorrow (i.e. 8/27/2001).