Elvin Jones Mosaic

Well, what bad luck I have... getting a readably written number after years of scribbles (and euro mosaics), and then some pages are missing... :g

Haven't heard from them yet, I hope they reply at all - if they just send it out I will be too worried to wait and will be so impolite to ask them again... wanted the Elvin since it came out and would hate to have just this incomplete booklet!

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry - I had to wait two days for their e-mail, but then the note that they would send the replacement and the shipping confirmation for it came all at once.

Only problem is: it comes in a big box like the complete set, so my heart jumped .... but ..... hehe .....

Well, I asked for a replacement box for the Django (I once slipped and damaged it...), so I guess they'll need my CC info anyway... but for the Elvin I did only get an automated order confirmation, no shipping email at all! And the scumbags from customs did check the Mosaic website for the prize and charged me for it, although I asked Mosaic to put "educational sample" and zero $$ on the green sticker... :(

Really enjoying this Elvin set. Not that I'm hugely concerned but I was puzzled to note that the "Lighthouse" sessions on discs 7/8 are mastered from 16-bit mixes where as the rest is 24-bit.

Wonder why , were the original tapes lost after the session came out on CD in 1990 ???

I'm not bit-mad but the live material does sound a little flat although perfectly acceptable- I presume that's more to do with the way it was recorded rather than the digital transfer.

Don't worry - those tapes will be found in time for the RVG remaster...

Well, I wasn't going to do it, but I caved. Just ordered the Elvin set along with the JJ Johnson single. :w I generally don't like things that are too experimental so I'm not sure whether there might be a session or two that I find a bit "out" for my taste, but I generally really like Joe Farrell and George Coleman, among others on the set, so I figured there is probably more that I will like than dislike -- and Elvin is always such a tasteful player. Anyway, I'm looking forward to checking it out . I have my favorites, but I really haven't been dissapointed by a Mosaic set I've purchased yet.

Dammit, I really didn't want to spend that money right now. All I don't have is one trio side + the extras from the Lighthouse. But I love Elvin, so hey.

Jim, pretty much the same case for me.

I just called Mosaic because I wanted to make sure there is not a set nearing extinction that I have more love for. There were a couple they estimated will be nearing extinction that I want, but when I heard that they only had 37 Elvin Jones sets left, I made my decision and pulled the trigger.

So, as of 10:38 Central time there are only 36 left.

I keep forgetting, though, that Elvin is a True Drumming God, with a fan base amongst drummers of all idioms. So this one probably has a broader appeal than those of us inside the Jazz Cave probably realized...

Very true.

While I was working retail, drummers of all genre's would come in and ask me if I was going to see Elvin play in concert.

I think with the Elvin set, they mis-quoted the set as "Running Low." When I called in late September to do my Mulligan/Wilson birthday order, they said that there were 100 Elvin's left. I think they assumed that since the set had a high retail price many people wouldn't pull the trigger as fast as the Mulligan.

There were a couple they estimated will be nearing extinction that I want, but when I heard that they only had 37 Elvin Jones sets left, I made my decision and pulled the trigger.

Holy Stitt:

What were the others?

Thanks

None of them were anywhere near extinction, but they implied that the Roach & Piano Moods sets were nearing contractual obligations (I assumed timing out). He told me they still had quite a few in the warehouse, so they are nowhere near being on the "Running Low" list, but might be next to go.

Only 36 left? Already? Wow...

I keep forgetting, though, that Elvin is a True Drumming God, with a fan base amongst drummers of all idioms. So this one probably has a broader appeal than those of us inside the Jazz Cave probably realized...

Carpe diem, y'all!

Did you happen to see Elvin when he played at the Caravan of Dreams (I think it was 1984 or 1985)? I can't remember who was in the group, only that it was tenor (Bob Berg, I think), guitar (a Japanese player, I believe), bass, and drums. I heard two sets, each of which consisted of three long pieces. The first two songs each set were just okay, featuring the band (no drum solos)--the third in each case was a more complex composition that featured Elvin, and I remember being totally blown away by these set-ending pieces.

I like Elvin and all, but I think I'll pass on this one and save up for when Max hits "the list".

Yup, that's one that I've been eyeing for awhile but let the Stitt & Bix/Tram/Tea jump ahead with the August sale. No regrets btw!

I'm still going to operate under the assumption (as unproven as it is) that any Mosaic Blue Note set may end up being RVG'd & probably Conn'd if one is patient enough. Thus I'll be able to get most of the Elvin set, if not all, on an installment plan with color artwork. If there is a hole in the set and I want it, then break out the Yen. No guarantees that this will happen, it's just the way I'm betting as I'm still relatively young in jazz years.

I like Elvin and all, but I think I'll pass on this one and save up for when Max hits "the list".

Same here. I sprung for the J.J. Johnson box, but can't find enough reasons even after reading the reviews (majority of them fairly positive) here and on other message boards & Web sites to pull the trigger on the Elvin for some reason.

Guess spending an unhealthy gargantuan amount of cash on the Concord sale really left my pocketbook timid. Like you, I will get the Max though when it reaches the end of the line.

Edited by trane_fanatic

I ponied up for the JJJ in its last days, too. Glad I did, BTW.

I have a couple of the Elvin's on vinyl - "The Ultimate" & "Merry-Go-Round" - so I have a pretty good idea what the set is about and I'm feeling OK with passing on it.

Let us know what you think of Max, sidewinder.