Elvin Jones Mosaic

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't go by what you know of the individual Jones sessions. When you put all the sessions together in one set, there is a marvelous unity that emerges, which makes individual sessions somehow shine more brightly. I have never heard this happen as strongly on any other Mosaic set as it does with the Jones. I personally believe it's one of the best sets Mosaic has ever done.

Couldn't say it better - just want to add that the concept of a basic sax(es)-bass-drums group plus percussion comes through very clearly in this set. A very important contribution of Elvin as a bandleader, and perhaps his greatest period.

And in some ways - I think it would have made more sense to have limited the Elvin box to just studio sessions (which then would have been 8 or 9 albums spread across 6 discs).

That is really true. The Lighthouse set had already been out on CD in the same masterings - why not just let it have a life of its own? A six CD set would be a more economical proposition.

Also I agree with Jim and Chuck's comments - there is some flawed music here and I think anyone who has missed this needn't worry - even if this music offers certain pleasures it strikes me as much more OF its period than transcending it. And Chuck's right about the 'name': if you thought of most of these sides as Joe Farrell plus congas you wouldn't go near them!

Edited by David Ayers

And Chuck's right about the 'name': if you thought of most of these sides as Joe Farrell plus congas you wouldn't go near them!

I am as big a promoter/defender of this set as anyone on this Board (and it's a set I hestiated over, but truthfully I have come to love it. It is probably the one Mosaic set which has most exceeded my expectations). I know everyone's tastes differ, but David, I think that's a rather unfair characterization of the the music on this set.

I'm sorry, but I have a really hard time with those sessions on discs 5 & 6 with the electric piano...

What album(s) was/were that? If it's Merry-Go-Round, I might suggest giving them time. Jan Hammer's playing some very cool shit on there, even if there's a blatantly wrong note in the ensemble head of "La Fiesta" which I'm shocked that the producer didn't catch.

Wait a sec - I just consulted the LP insert & saw that the producer was George Butler. Never mind.

I'm sorry, but I have a really hard time with those sessions on discs 5 & 6 with the electric piano...

What album(s) was/were that? If it's Merry-Go-Round, I might suggest giving them time. Jan Hammer's playing some very cool shit on there, even if there's a blatantly wrong note in the ensemble head of "La Fiesta" which I'm shocked that the producer didn't catch.

Wait a sec - I just consulted the LP insert & saw that the producer was George Butler. Never mind.

Will do - I wasn't really paying attention to which session was which. I've initially hated a few things that I later figured out were actually pretty hot.

I figure I'm the only one here who really digs them corny congueros .....

I like 'em too !

horny what? :excited:

I hope I'll like them, but looking at the pile of unheard stuff and taking into account what I ought to do besides hanging at the computer and playing tunes, I guess it'll take a few months till I make it through that set...