I just met Frances Davis...

The Mule

Miles Davis' ex-wife, Frances Davis, works as the hostess at the Hamburger Hamlet on Sunset Boulevard in West Hollywood, California. She's still beautiful and has the body of a dancer. Totally charming woman.

She told me that a guy from Tower records on Sunset just gave her a huge poster of FRIDAY/SATURDAY NIGHT AT THE BLACKHAWK...

f90242wfiaq.jpg

...and they're going to hang it in the restaurant. As she described the cover to me (as if I didn't know what it looked like!) she said, "There's Miles and then there's my head giving him this look like, 'Wonder who he's foolin' around with now...'" We both shared a big laugh at that.

She told me she's working on her memoirs and that Columbia Pictures hired her as a consultant on a possible Mile Davis movie, "but that was five years ago" and it didn't seem like that movie was going to happen.

She also said that she was considering other opportunities for a movie of her life story.

She seemed totally open about who she is and her past with Miles and would probably be happy to chat with anyone about it should they stop by the restaurant.

Lovely, lovely woman...

d50492d883j.jpgd36910w212w.jpg

Edited by The Mule

I'm glad you got to meet her! She has always impressed me as a wonderful woman from what I have read about her. And I'm not surprised she remains a beauty!

Miles . . . Miles . . . Miles. . . . He woulda/coulda/shoulda.

Miles messed up big time. Frances was beautiful back then (and obviously still is now), and she obviously is charming and intelligent. Maybe you could convince her to join us here at Organissimo!

The Miles movie was supposed to star Wesly Snipes! It ain't gonna happen.

By the way, it's Frances, not Francis. Francis Davis is a jazz writer. You had me fooled there for a second!

Bertrand.

So, did you immediately recognize her????

Someone told me she worked there so I went to check it out. As soon as I saw her I knew it was true. She's a striking older woman who still has that dancer's body. She even walks toes-out. I was with a friend and he asked her if she was Frances Davis, wife of Miles Davis, and she smiled and said she certainly was. The conversation went from there.

I know Francis Davis (husband of Terri Gross) and I just couldn't see him married to Miles. Miles, of course, might have thought otherwise. :g

wow Chris that's two posts in the last couple days by you that allude to Miles and "the fellas", as it were. What are you getting at exactly? Something we should know about?

I know Francis Davis (husband of Terri Gross) and I just couldn't see him married to Miles. Miles, of course, might have thought otherwise.  :g

wow Chris that's two posts in the last couple days by you that allude to Miles and "the fellas", as it were. What are you getting at exactly? Something we should know about?

I didn't think Miles' bisexuality was a secret at this point.

Hamburger Hamlet... that brings back a memory (changing the subject just slightly ;)). One of my older brothers moved to L.A. back in the 70's, and I went down to help him move his stuff. I remember eating at a Hamburger Hamlet, and they served these HUMONGOUS glasses of beer... the size of a frigging birdbath, it seemed. I think (?) they called it a "schooner". Wow. Do they still sell those? Anyway, back to the topic at hand... :g

Hamburger Hamlet... that brings back a memory (changing the subject just slightly ;)). One of my older brothers moved to L.A. back in the 70's, and I went down to help him move his stuff. I remember eating at a Hamburger Hamlet, and they served these HUMONGOUS glasses of beer... the size of a frigging birdbath, it seemed. I think (?) they called it a "schooner". Wow. Do they still sell those? Anyway, back to the topic at hand... :g

Unfortunately, I am unable to drink a giant schooner of beer at lunch. My lunchtime drinking ended when I moved from Chicago to oh-so-health-conscious Los Angeles. However, the Hamlet serves their soft drinks in HUGE glasses, so I suspect they probably do the same with the beer.

I didn't think Miles' bisexuality was a secret at this point.

I've read about this a few times, but I just have one question -

Have any of his old boyfriends ever step out for an interview?

If not, is it prudent to take it for a fact?

No need for details, but trust me on this one, Dmitry.

Guest ariceffron

what the hell are you talking about. ive never ever heard of miles being bi. is that your little consipirsy theory or is it based in some truth? if so what would that be exactly?

• Why is it such a big issue? While artistry distinguishes jazz musicians from most of us--and, indeed, each other--we are all cut from the same cloth. So, we shouldn't be shocked or even surprised to find that some fall outside of what the likes of Bush, Ashcroft, or Santorum consider "normal." To think otherwise is to be very, very naïve.

BTW, shock and/or disbelief can be a reflection of bigotry--why be shocked unless one thinks being gay or bisexual is a negative?

• Why is it such a big issue? While artistry distinguishes jazz musicians from most of us--and, indeed, each other--we are all cut from the same cloth. So, we shouldn't be shocked or even surprised to find that some fall outside of what the likes of Bush, Ashcroft, or Santorum consider "normal." To think otherwise is to be very, very naïve.

BTW, shock and/or disbelief can be a reflection of bigotry--why be shocked unless one thinks being gay or bisexual is a negative?

Yeah, why even make jokes about it?

I seem to remember reading some minor discussion of this (Miles possibly being bi) in a recent book. I think it was probably John Szwed's excellent "So What: The Life of Miles Davis". Anybody have their copy handy? (Mine's out on loan at the moment, if I remember right.)

Nothing conclusive is discussed (as I recall), but enough discussion to give one the sense that it was certainly quite plausible that Miles was bi. When I read that section, I may have raised one eyebrow, but certainly not both. And hell, if Miles was bi, then that was probably one of the least radical things about the man - when you look at everything in his personal life.

By the way, I highly recommend Szwed's book. Incredibly well written (and a joy to read, for that reason alone), plus there is some significant coverage of some eras in Miles career that most other Miles biographers haven't delved into before (particularly his 1973-75 band). There's a long chapter about "In A Silent Way" that is also quite illuminating. Two thumbs up!!

"I never even auditioned!"

Wow, did not know that. Never woulda thunk it...

----------------

Gravelly, scratchy, whispering Miles' voice:

"C'mere boy! I wanna stick my dick in yo' ass"

-----------------

This is blowing my mind! :unsure:

But, I could really care less... -_-

Edited by Parkertown

I seem to remember reading some minor discussion of this (Miles possibly being bi) in a recent book. I think it was probably John Szwed's excellent "So What: The Life of Miles Davis". Anybody have their copy handy? (Mine's out on loan at the moment, if I remember right.)

OK, I found my copy (guess I didn't have it checked out after all). But I couldn't find anything in the index about this topic.

My awfully hazy memory about all this tells me that Miles' brother, Vernon, was homosexual (am I remembering right?), and Miles' sexuality may have been discussed (briefly) in the context of talking about Vernon.

In any case, Miles being bi seems entirely plausible to me.