I just met Frances Davis...

The Mule

The rumors (some general, some quite specific) have been going around for years. I've heard them for at least the last 25 years.

The matter also gets a bit of discussion in the revised Ian Carr bio, where it is discussed incionclusively, but with the tone that doing so was a matter of discretion, not of uncertainty.

No big deal afaic. After all, the cat WAS a Gemini...

How'd my thread about meeting Frances Davis get turned into an argument over whether or not Miles was bi-sexual?!  Sheesh!  :huh:

One misplaced "i" did it.

Guess the "i" didn't have it. :g

Yeah, I guess that's what started it, didn't it? :lol:

• 5 years later...

Miles Davis' ex-wife, Frances Davis, works as the hostess at the Hamburger Hamlet on Sunset Boulevard in West Hollywood, California. She's still beautiful and has the body of a dancer. Totally charming woman.

She told me that a guy from Tower records on Sunset just gave her a huge poster of FRIDAY/SATURDAY NIGHT AT THE BLACKHAWK...

f90242wfiaq.jpg

...and they're going to hang it in the restaurant. As she described the cover to me (as if I didn't know what it looked like!) she said, "There's Miles and then there's my head giving him this look like, 'Wonder who he's foolin' around with now...'" We both shared a big laugh at that.

She told me she's working on her memoirs and that Columbia Pictures hired her as a consultant on a possible Mile Davis movie, "but that was five years ago" and it didn't seem like that movie was going to happen.

She also said that she was considering other opportunities for a movie of her life story.

She seemed totally open about who she is and her past with Miles and would probably be happy to chat with anyone about it should they stop by the restaurant.

Lovely, lovely woman...

d50492d883j.jpgd36910w212w.jpg

If you think she looks good now, you should have seen her when I met her in the early 60's when Miles appeared at Basin Street West on Boradway St in San Francisco. My next door neighbor was friends with Miles and asked me if I wanted to go hear him, I almost fell to the floor while saying "YES", after the set Mr. Velez and I went to Miles's room and there she was in what then was an extremly sexy, sheer (not quite see-through)chifon dress. At one point Miles said to her in that famous raspy voice of his "go put some dam clothes on". I was 15 or 16 at the time and was in total, shocking BLISS. 45 years later, I remember it as if it happened last night..............

I wasn't being rude, I was being honest. What exactly makes her somewhat famous? A couple of obscure jazz LP covers and inspiring a Miles tune? I can't find her on Wikipedia, and I don't see any sites on Google. She was a dancer and occasional actress who was married to Miles. Now she works as a hostess in a restaurant. Some people know who she is but why do you think the general clientele of the restaurant would know her?

A few weeks ago, I went to an african restaurant in Paris one of the 27 ? ex-wives of Fela Kuti runs.

Big photography of both together on the wall. She was and still is a beauty and she looks like a charming lady but unfortunately the mafé was the worst I'de ever eaten. Awful meat and oily, oily in the extreme ...

BTW, music was OK. No Fela but at least Seun Kuti.