John Carter

B. Goren.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone here is inclined and has the resources, could you post a scan of Flight for Four? I've only seen the teeniest black-and-white scan (on eBay) that wasn't even worth saving. From what I can tell, the cover is quite artistic. I'd love to see it in all its color glory.

And, to reciprocate, The Giant is Awakened, complete with gorgeous cover scan, is available here.

If it is in LA, all this goes to show just how many Angelenos don't really get around the city. I grew up in the area, and I doubt I'd know too many people who'd be able to tell me where that statue is located.

I met Bradford (briefly) at a free concert at LACMA with his group (Don Preston was on piano, some representation from the Carter/Bradford bands). He's a really gracious, positive guy, even in light of the sheer crappiness of LA performance opportunities.

• 1 month later...

I've (slowly) been accumulating all the Roots and Folklore albums (thankfully, they're in decent supply out here in CA--the only one I haven't seen, in any form, is the second album). I've found it more difficult to get into the Gramavision sides than the other Bradford/Carter albums--maybe because textural wackiness is the norm, and (perhaps) a little sonic nuance is lost in the production. I can, however, "get" the technique of the compositions and improvisation, and there are fine spots for all...

Still, I've had no problem getting with Comin' On, which is just a reduced ensemble featuring Roots and Folklore players. To this moment, though, I have trouble seeing why (if not how) Don Preston--an impressive player in his own right--is at all necessary in this music. Preston's knack for electronics can work some interesting magic in the proper context, but it's difficult not to hear how a piano might sound redundant in the obviously successful Bradford/Carter group dynamic. (Also because players like Bradford, Carter, Richard Davis, and Andrew Cyrille have never had problem filling up space).

• 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...