Barney Kessel -- in memoriam

Spontooneous

BC-OBIT-KESSEL-NYT

BARNEY KESSEL, 80, A GUITARIST WITH THE LEGENDS OF JAZZ

By PETER KEEPNEWS

c.2004 New York Times News Service

Barney Kessel, a guitarist who was both a celebrated jazz soloist and a ubiquitous but anonymous studio musician, died on Thursday at his home in San Diego. He was 80.

The cause was brain cancer, said his wife, Phyllis. Kessel had been inactive since a stroke in 1992, and he learned in 2001 that he had inoperable cancer.

By the mid-1950s, Kessel was one of the most popular guitarists in jazz, a perennial winner of music magazine polls and a sideman whose resume included work with Charlie Parker, Billie Holiday, Art Tatum and countless others. But he still found it hard to pay his bills, so he began a second career in the studios, which came to dominate his professional life until he decided to return to jazz full time in the 1970s.

He was born in Muskogee, Okla., on Oct. 17, 1923, and began his professional career there at 14 as the only white musician in an otherwise all-black dance band.

Kessel initially modeled his style closely on that of the pioneering electric guitarist Charlie Christian, a fellow Oklahoman, and he continued to regard Christian as his main influence.

But when he had the opportunity to play with Christian at a jam session, he told The New York Times in 1991, the experience inspired him to develop a style of his own.

“I realized that I had been methodically lifting his ideas from records,” Kessel said. “What was I going to play? All I knew was his stuff. There were two guys playing like Charlie Christian. I knew I had to find myself.”

With Christian’s encouragement, Kessel moved to Los Angeles in 1942 and was soon on the road with a band fronted by the comedian Chico Marx.

Over the next few years, he worked with the big bands of Artie Shaw, Charlie Barnet and Benny Goodman, establishing a reputation as one of the most versatile and reliable guitarists on the West Coast.

He soon began working regularly as a sideman for the record producer Norman Granz, and in 1944 he was one of the many musicians featured in “Jammin’ the Blues,” the acclaimed short jazz film produced by Granz and directed by the photographer Gjon Mili. (In a strange echo of his first job, Kessel was the only white musician in that film; all that was clearly visible of him were his hands, which were dyed black.)

Kessel’s profile in the jazz world continued to grow in the 1950s. In 1952, he joined the pianist Oscar Peterson’s trio and toured with Granz’s all-star Jazz at the Philharmonic aggregation.

The next year, he began his recording career as a leader with the first of a series of small-group albums for the Los Angeles-based Contemporary label.

Within a few years, he had also become a fixture in Hollywood’s recording studios. In this parallel career, he could be heard on movie and television soundtracks and in television and radio commercials as well as on records by everyone from the Beach Boys to Liberace to Frank Sinatra.

In 1973, he joined forces with his fellow jazz guitarists Herb Ellis and Charlie Byrd to form the group Great Guitars. In 1983, at 59, he made his New York nightclub debut as a leader.

In addition to his wife, Kessel is survived by two sons from a previous marriage: Dan, of Hemet, Calif., and David, of Pacific Grove, Calif. Also surviving are three stepchildren: Christian Wand, of Los Angeles; Colette Wand Wirtschafter, of Marysville, Calif.; and Cleo Dougherty, of Boonton, N.J.; and five grandchildren.

NYT-05-07-04 2316EDT

Guest ariceffron

I AM PISSED BARNEY KESSEL IS DEAD BECAUSE HE IS ONE OF THE GREATEST GUITARISTS IN JAZZ, PARTICULAR WEST COAST JAZZ. WE HAVE KNOWN HE WAS SICK FOR A LONG TIME NOW SO IN A WAY IM HAPPY HES OUT OF HIS SUFFERING, ETC. THAT SUCKS HOW HE HAD BRAIN CANCER. AND IT SUCKS EVEN MORE TO KNOW AFTER ALL THOSE THOSANDS OF RECORDING SESSIONS HE JUST LIVED IN SOME LITTLE HOUSE IN NORMAL HEIGHTS. HAVE ANY OF YOU HEARD BARNEY KESSEL WITH DEX AND WARDELL ON THAT FAMOUS BOOTLEG FROM THAT FAMOUS JAM SESSION IN LA IN THE MID 40S? THAT IS GOOD. ALSO HIS SOLO ALBUMS ON CONTEMPORARY RECORDS ARE GOOD. NEXT I LIKE THAT POLL WINNERS STUFF, ALTHOUGH I ALWAYS FELT THOSE ALBUMS WERE MORE COMMERCIAL. DOES ANYONE HAVE A LIST OF ALL HIS "HIDDEN" WORK? I KNOW HE DID SOME PHIL SPECTOR STUFF, BUT WHAT ABOUT THE COMMERICALS, ETC? I BET YOU JAZZ GUYS WE LIKE HAVE DONE A LOT OF THAT STUFF BUT WE HAVE NO WAY OF KNOWING IT....

Edited by ariceffron

Don't know too much or have heard too much from him, but if his work on Benny Carter's Jazz Giant is any indication, he left behind an amazing treasure trove of fine music.

RIP, thanks for the music, and God bless you, Barney Kessel.

"Feeling free" is a real masterpiece he recorded for Contemporary in 1969. Barney Kessel played here together with Bobby Hutcherson, Elvin Jones & Chuck Domanico. Such a great quartet session.

He'll be in my house forever. I'll never give my King copy out of my hands.

e54209ormfw.jpg

Edited by Alfred

The feeling he brought to Ella's renditions of Duke's music will, to me, always be completely timeless.

His Poll Winners discs are a long standing favourite and epitomise relaxed swing.....legendary guitarist, impossible to replace.

RIP Barney - really treasure the one time I saw him play, a wonderful, soulfull recital. Will have to spin those 'Poll Winners' Contemporaries this weekend. Amazing to hear also of his work on some of Spector's biggest hits and bringing the Theremin to the attention of the Beach Boys. Great musical legacy.

First heard him on that Just Jazz album w/Hamp, and that remains some of my favorite playing of his (or anybody's), especially on "The Man I Love".

Read an interview w/him in Guitar Player about 20 years ago where he talked at length about his philosophy re:music & life. It was deep, as befits a peson of his experience. He wasn't just a "gun for hire" - he was a gun for hire with a deep understanding and awareness of what it was he was doing every step of the way, from the most swinging jazz to the most inane pop.

Thinkning about how much MAJOR music of all styles he was involved over the years in leaves me no other conclusion that no matter the sad circumstances of his final years, his active years were a blessing to him (and us) of the highest order, even the dreck he played on to pay the bills. It gave him perspective, and that came through when he got played HIS music. Not everybody who gets into the studio scene as deep as he did gets, much less keeps, that perspective. Barney Kessell did.

R.I.P., and much thanks.

R.I.P. BARNEY. I am an enormous fan of his. I first became aware of his talent with the Oscar Peterson Trio material in the early fifties, and then his series of great albums for Contemporary .. all of which now sit on my CD shelves. Many of his later trio albums on Black Lion and Concord are also superb. Also, don't forget Barney playing behind Julie London on "Cry Me A River" ... It will be a Barney Kessel weekend in my house .... currently playing "Music To Listen to Barney Kessel By (OJC)..."

God! My heroes all keep leaving me ......

Garth.

FWIW, in terms of jazz recordings, here's a selected list of the prolific work of Mr. Kessel:

Various Guitarists Hittin' On All Six Proper

Dexter Gordon Settin' The Pace Proper (Savoy, Dial, others)

Billie Holiday The Complete Billie Holiday On Verve, 1945-1959 Verve

Dexter Gordon Dexter Rides Again Savoy (Japan)

Lester Young The Complete Verve Studio Sessions Verve

Charlie Parker BIRD: The Complete Charlie Parker On Verve Verve

Charlie Parker The Complete Dial Sessions Stash

Charlie Ventura / Flip Phillips The Complete Verve/Clef Charlie Ventura & Flip Phillips Studio Sessions Mosaic (Verve)

Billy Eckstine Everything I Have Is Yours Verve (MGM)

Woody Herman The Complete Capitol Recordings Of Woody Herman Mosaic (Capitol)

Shorty Rogers The Complete Atlantic And EMI Jazz Recordings Of Shorty Rogers Mosaic (Atlantic, EMI)

Various / JATP Jam Session # 1 (Parker, Webster, Hodges, Carter, et al) Mercury

Anita O'Day The Complete Verve/Clef Recordings Mosaic (Verve/Clef)

Anita O'day Swings Cole Porter Verve

Oscar Moore / Barney Kessel / Tal Farlow Swing Guitars Verve

Barney Kessel Vol. 1 / Easy Like Contemporary

Art Tatum The Complete Pablo Group Masterpieces Pablo (Clef / Norgran)

Barney Kessel Vol. 2 Kessel Plays Standards Contemporary

Howard Rumsey's Lighthouse All-Stars Lighthouse At Laguna Contemporary

Milt Jackson Ballads & Blues / Bags & Flutes Collectables (Atlantic)

Ella Fitzgerald The Duke Ellington Song Book Verve

Sonny Criss The Complete Imperial Sessions Blue Note (Imperial)

Barney Kessel Music To Listen To Barney Kessel By Contemporary

Stuff Smith The Complete Verve Stuff Smith Sessions Mosaic (Verve)

Barney Kessel The Poll Winners Contemporary

Barney Kessel Let's Cook! Contemporary

Hampton Hawes FOUR! Contemporary

Barney Kessel The Poll Winners Ride Again ! Contemporary

Sonny Rollins The Contemporary Leaders "Plus" Contemporary (Japan)

Barney Kessel Poll Winners Three! Contemporary

Barney Kessel Poll Winners Exploring The Scene Contemporary

Ella Fitzgerald Mack The Knife / The Complete Ella In Berlin Verve

Sarah Vaughan The Complete Roulette Sarah Vaughan Studio Sessions ("Sarah +2"; and the Benny Carter sessions) Mosaic (Roulette)

Barney Kessel Swingin' Party At Contemporary Contemporary

Barney Kessel On Fire Venus (Emerald)

Barney Kessel Breakfast At Tiffany's / Bossa Nova / Contemporary Latin Rhythms Reprise

Barney Kessel Yesterday (Live at Montreux) Black Lion

Barney Kessel Solo Concord

That's just the tip of the iceberg. For those that enjoy the Julie London, check out the Sarah Vaughan too (very intimate session that included the classic "Key Largo" recording that was widely heard on TV ads in recent years).