Nancy Wilson's "Hollywood -- My Way"

Larry Kart

Very belatedly have been getting into Wilson some lately (I know ... stop yourself), and this one so far is the most remarkable -- fine Jimmy Jones charts, Wilson, utterly relaxed, is in exceptional, soaring voice, and often she adopts a long-meter approach to the songs that swings like a MF. Check out "Dearly Beloved" for example. Also the poured-into-that-dress photo of Wilson on the album cover is quite something (click to enlarge):

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7226179

Very belatedly have been getting into Wilson some lately (I know ... stop yourself), and this one so far is the most remarkable -- fine Jimmy Jones charts, Wilson, utterly relaxed, is in exceptional, soaring voice, and often she adopts a long-meter approach to the songs that swings like a MF. Check out "Dearly Beloved" for example. Also the poured-into-that-dress photo of Wilson on the album cover is quite something (click to enlarge):

Enlarge what, you say? Stop yourself.

Have you gotten to TLC yet?

terder-loving-care.jpg

That's the one for me! Some of Billy May's best (or at least least-self-referential) writing, in m o.

And Nancy is less mannered than usual (I like here ok when she's mannered, but like her even more when she's not).

I'll check. I've picked up a lot of Wilson vinyl lately.

I (belatedly) got into her Capitol material about ten years ago. We've had some threads here on the subject (here's one: ).

"Hollywood- My Way" is one of my favorites. The material is well-chosen, and the popular melodies of that era really seem "right' for her, in the same way they were for certain instumentalists like Hampton Hawes, Stanley Turrentine, and some others who showed great taste (imo) in selecting and performing them.

As a long ago Nancy fan who lived through a teenage crush on her, I highly recommend these three beauties:

Broadway My Way

post-158-0-33429600-1334377259_thumb.jpg

Yesterdays Love Songs Todays Blues

post-158-0-26598800-1334377260_thumb.jpg

Hello Young Lovers

post-158-0-20060800-1334377261_thumb.jpg

HYL has never been released on CD. It makes one wonder what the hell is going on at Capitol. Many think this is her best album.

P.S. These were before the more mannered approach in her style. And I didn't mean to exclude the excellent album she did with Cannonball.

Edited by Cali