Rene Urtreger

B. Goren.

I can imagine I'm not the only one here on this board who first listened to Rene Urtreger when he played with Miles on "Ascenseur pour l'echafaud". Many years ago I bought another CD of Rene Urtreger: It's called "Masters" and RU plays there with Niels Pedersen, Christian Escoude & Andre Ceccarelli. Unfortunately I couldn’t find any link on the net to this CD. A few days ago I added another CD of Mr. Urtreger to my collection: it is from Jazz in Paris series: "Joue Bud Powell". It was recorded on 1955. The young pianist (21 when recorded) plays 6 Powell's tunes plus 2 originals. This is beautiful session!!! Urtreger sounds great and I think he is a great bebop pianist. Any other Urtreger's recommendations??? Any idea if he is still active in jazz scene in France???

Joue Bud Powell

Edited by B. Goren.

A very kind person on this board presented me this great 3CD set:

B000046S0D.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

An great one! The Humair-Urtreger-Michelot set in three recordings, the first a live one from 1961 (?), the second late seventies (?) and the third a new one done for this release. Great booklet and all, a magnificient one!

ubu

Another great :tup for Joue Bud Powell !!!

I don´t have any more discs with Urtreger as a leader, but you can find him as a sideman in a lot of Jazz in Paris discs, such as

-The real cat (René Thomas)

-Modern jazz au Club St. Germain (Bobby Jaspar)

-Clarinettes à Saint-Germain des Prés

-Kenny Clarke´s sextet plays André Hodeir

-Le dernier message de Lester Young

-Stuff and Steff (Stuff Smith and Stephane Grappelli)

Except for the Clarinettes.... I have all of these. All recommended, except maybe the Prez. I'd only recommend this one to people already familiar with earlier and later recordings of his. It's a pretty tough one. Not that I'd want to miss it, but then it can really be hard to listen to.

ubu

Adding to the chorus -- I order more stuff more regularly from Berkshire than I should. It's mostly a classical outfit; the best I know for cutouts -- stock is vast (I think almost 14,000 items), new stuff pours in regularly, prices are great, and the good fast search engine makes finding out whether they do have something you want a breeze. Only caveat is that it usually takes about three weeks for your order to arrive (don't call and complain until at least a month has passed, if it does -- they can get snarky if you do, and over the years everything I've ordered has arrived). I think their slowness vs. outfits like Amazon (not really comparable, I know) is because Berkshire operates from an actual warehouse and adjacent store in the eastern U.S., and the typical Berkshire customer (that would be me, I'd guess) usually orders a bunch of stuff from different labels. I imagine aging Dickensian counterculture types (rejects from the Ben and Jerry's plant?) walking down endless aisles with long lists in their hands. Fitting that image, perhaps -- within the boxes (when they do arrive), the CDs are tightly wrapped and then taped in several layers of old newspaper, and if the order is large, say 10 CDs, there is no regularity (or particular logic that I've been able to detect) in how many of your CDs will be wrapped and taped into each of the various sub-bundles within the box.

Urteger-Michelot-Humair did a soundtrack and were shown in a recent movie by Claude Berri. They also accompanied Ellery Eskelin in a double-disc that came out a year or so ago...

Can you give some detail on the 2CD thing with Eskelin, please? Couldn't find anything on Eskelin's homepage.

ubu

The 3-cd set with Michelot and Humair is available here for $17.97:

http://www.berkshirerecordoutlet.com/cgi-b...eth=Some&RPP=25

This Bershire site does look pretty good. In addition to picking up the Urgreter, I found they had 65 ECM CDs for $6-7 each, so I got a few of those. They did have a note up that said they couldn't ship ECMs back to Europe for whatever reason.

The 3-cd set with Michelot and Humair is available here for $17.97:

http://www.berkshirerecordoutlet.com/cgi-b...eth=Some&RPP=25

This Bershire site does look pretty good. In addition to picking up the Urgreter, I found they had 65 ECM CDs for $6-7 each, so I got a few of those. They did have a note up that said they couldn't ship ECMs back to Europe for whatever reason.

Also Deutsche Gramophon for good prices and some 1201 for 3$.

• 10 months later...

A very kind person on this board presented me this great 3CD set:

B000046S0D.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

An great one! The Humair-Urtreger-Michelot set in three recordings, the first a live one from 1961 (?), the second late seventies (?) and the third a new one done for this release. Great booklet and all, a magnificient one!

ubu

I've just bought this 3 CDs set last week. This is really a great one!!! The sessions were recorded on 1960, 1979 ans 1999. The booklet looks great but it is writen in French....

Thank you Flurin for this recommendation.

1999. The booklet looks great but it is writen in French....

Bentsy, you are absolutely right! This is a magnifique set :tup

But you should start working on your French...

Then you could read and enjoy that Rene Urtreger article that was in Le Monde newspaper on Bastille Day:

Rene Urtreger interview

Edited by brownie

The booklet looks great but it is writen in French....

Bentsy, you are absolutely right! This is a magnifique set :tup

But you should start working on your French...

Then you could read and enjoy that Rene Urtreger article that was in Le Monde newspaper on Bastille Day:

Rene Urtreger interview

Learning French is definitely on my *to do* list. I'm afraid I'll have the time for that only after I'll retire…