MR. MYSTERY: THE RETURN OF SUN RA TO PLANET EARTH

alankin

NEW!!!!

MR. MYSTERY:

THE RETURN OF SUN RA TO PLANET EARTH

A new opera scheduled for world premiere May 2005 at the Harold Prince Music Theater, Philadelphia, PA, commissioning and presenting partners still in formation.

Music and Concept by Fred Ho

Libretto by Quincy Troupe

Co-written by Fred Ho and Quincy Troupe

The enigmatic and innovative seer and composer-band leader Sun Ra departed planet Earth on May 30, 1993. However, this departure was not to be permanent. In this new Ra-opera (part Ra-like romp and opera), the Intergalactic Arkestra returns with its iconoclastic and intrepid leader to save planet Earth from impending destruction with the healing force of enlightened music. Earth is careening towards a crossroad of doom: over half of its living species have been killed by deforestation, the ozone layer has been shredded by the continual emissions of fluorocarbons into the atmosphere, leading to global warming, the rise of the world’s oceans, devastating climatic changes, the increase of disease; meanwhile humanity suffers from First World rapacious consumerism, apathy and preoccupation with escapism, and reactionary super-patriotism; while the Third World is consumed with the AIDs epidemic, endemic war and social violence, crushing poverty, and cultural genocide. Sun Ra returns to battle the forces of stupidity and planetary self-destruction. He is the ultimate Hero against Hype. The Messiah against Mass Media Mindlessness and Muzak. The Warrior Wizard against World Wickedness. The Trickster to top all tricksters.

Joining him is a new Arkestra of world and extra-world musicians in a crusade for planetary sonic liberation, the Inter-planetary Sonic Liberation Army.

Instrumentation: Sona, 2 Trumpets, 2 Trombones, Tuba, Chromodalphone, Baritone Saxophone, Chinese flutes, Chicano Violin, modified drum set, bass and keyboards.

Additionally: Sun Ra (bass-baritone), Commander/First Officer Sparky (tenor), and the Cosmic Choir (5 singer-dancers).

Setting: On board the Inter-planetary Sonic Liberation Arkestra (ISLA). Time: the not-too-distant Future.

bigredmediainc.com/MrMystery.html

Is this being put on with the blessing of the Ra estate?? Who controls Ra's name and likeness??

And if it is being put on with the permission of his estate, why then is there none of Ra's original music??

Jury's still out on this one, at least in my book.

Then again, maybe they don't need Ra's estate to sign off on this. I mean, wasn't was a movie a year or two on USA, maybe TNN, that was a bioepic about Hendrix. None of Jimi's original music was used, but his likeness and name sure were.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Is this being put on with the blessing of the Ra estate?? Who controls Ra's name and likeness??

And if it is being put on with the permission of his estate, why then is there none of Ra's original music??

Jury's still out on this one, at least in my book.

Then again, maybe they don't need Ra's estate to sign off on this. I mean, wasn't was a movie a year or two on USA, maybe TNN, that was a bioepic about Hendrix. None of Jimi's original music was used, but his likeness and name sure were.

I would hope so. It is happening in Phily where the band lives.