Roscoe Mitchell

sal

I've been eyeing "Songs in the Wind" and "Song for my Sister" for a while now, but haven't taken the plunge. Allmusic gave them both good reviews....but we know how that goes. Anyone who has heard these care to share their thoughts?

Edit: Add "Nine to Get Ready" to the list as well. Thanks!

Edited by sal

Sal:

I have Nine to Get Ready. It's ok. I don't listen to it a lot. It's not as "important" as Sound (I'm being a bit facetious) and it's not as fun as Snurdy McGurdy on Nessa Records. It's probably better than ok, but I just haven't listened to it in a while. If you PM and remind me, I'll try to bring it to the Jazz Showcase on Sunday for Alexander/Mabern.

Eric

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Listening to 'Nine to Get Ready' all of today. This is an incredible album. In fact, I've been listening to three Mitchell albums a lot lately: Snurdy..., This Dance..., and Nine..., and thinking how well they all work as albums. They seem to be far more planned than being a collection of discrete tunes.

The opener of Nine to Get Ready is a really dark, dark piece, for sure.

The tune Lester B. is beautiful...

And the one following it has some a circular-breathed Mitchell solo which is positive fire-breathing...

Anyway, not in too much of a position to comment constructively about this album. It'll all be ridiculously positive gushing.

But, if you're at a loss as to what to stick on tonight...

"Nine to Get Ready" is one of my favorite Roscoe CDs. It has a great flow of composition/improvisation with a tremendous line-up. And this is one case where the ECM "sound" is benefitial, as the doubled up bass/drums/piano is prominent but not over powering. This has a more confident "album" feel, too, especially in comparison to the 90s AEC stuff, which seems either cut n' paste or tracks clumped together. I'll definitely have to seek out "The Bad Guys."

• 4 weeks later...

Just picked up 'Song for My Sister'. I'm enjoying it very much (perhaps not so much that long track with the extended instrumentation).

The Note Factory is a great band. I think I prefer Hugh Ragin to Corey Wilkes, perhaps. I can't wait to hear 'Bad Guys'. Listening to the Wadada Leo Smith Kabell box as I type, and he's really a fabulous player.

• 3 weeks later...

'Carefree' from the last CD in the Nessa box is just awesome!

I've had these three takes going round and round all morning.

I love this tune, and the feel they get is amazing (a little like the 'Dexterity' from Paris).

And it's good-humoured - makes you smile!

I think there's Roscoe shows a bit of a kinship here with Sonny Rollins, rhythmically, and in the way he improvises on the theme - taking little bits here and there, worrying them over etc.

The bass playing is wonderful on these tracks as well.

• 1 month later...

New Roscoe Mitchell out on <<ROGUEART>>

couv_roscoe_mitchell.jpg

It’s been many years since the multi-facetted art of Roscoe Mitchell overwhelm us, whether with the Art Ensemble of Chicago, or his Note Factory, or his solo performances or so many projects with so many giants. However, we know that Roscoe Mitchell still has much to say. Incredible as it may seems, this here quintet generously offers yet another dimension of his music. The first striking thing in “Turn” is how Mitchell perfectly controls such an elaborate speech while, rich as may be the written parts, they never hamper the freedom to ad lib. And that’s why each new listening at “Turn”, each of Turn’s turns (and there are many), bring new emotions and wonderful surprises. Roscoe Mitchell unquestionably is the architect of this refined musical building called “Turn”; however, without such great musicians as Corey Wilkes, Craig Taborn, Jaribu Shahid and Tani Tabal, the other members of the quintet, we wouldn’t have entered it so easily. For all these reasons, we dare say “Turn” is a masterpiece. And we do mean masterpiece!

Edited by Chaney

While ordering Turn from the jazzloft I noticed there's another new Roscoe Mitchell CD that looks very interesting

Roscoe Mitchell & Tatsu Aoki

CD Title: Chicago Duos: First Look

Year: 2005

Record Label: Southport

ss112.jpg

http://www.jazzreview.com/cd/review-17207.html

Musicians: Roscoe Mitchell, flute, reeds, and percussion. Tatsu Aoki, acoustic bass, percussion.

Review:

First Look flashes with wide jazz images in a free jazz style, and reveals the great talents of its composers, Roscoe Mitchell and Tatsu Aoki.  The music has a magical spirit all its own and it will most appeal to those who are fans of these two musicians and enjoy free jazz at its finest.

There are nine songs on the CD.  Each represents the artist at his best.  The songs include: "In," "East Side Easy," "Number Five Wings Place," "The Journey," "Glide," "Dot," "Journey For the Cause," "Yoshihashi," and "Out."  The listener will find each song a different jazz experience in the free jazz mode.

Yoshihashi is a strangely intricate composition and reveals how well these two composers mix together in a musical performance.  The jazz themes are evident.  Another intriguing song in "The Journey," with its playing time of 15:11minutes. "Dot" will be of special delight to those who enjoy the inner workings of free jazz in this spirited performance!

If you are new to the sounds of these two performers, this is a good introduction to their skills and techniques as performers.  This is also a fine example of the music they compose together.

This CD is highly recommended for those who enjoy the performances of Roscoe Mitchell, Tatsu Aoki, and their provocative free jazz stylings.  Congratulations for making this unique CD possible go to Southport, a leading producer of Chicago jazz. 

Record Label Website: http://southport@chicagosound.com

Reviewed by: Lee Prosser

Hmm, the Duet with Aoki sounds promising.  I have several other Aoki discs and think most are really interesting.  However, I must admit that I don't listen to them frequently and have left them in storage.

I've recently been enjoying the album with Don Moye and Aoki (with Frances Wong and Joel Brandon on a couple of tracks) :tup:tup:tup