ECM, german or US pressing?

porcy62

I am used to the high quality german pressing of ECM vinyl. I noted that on several on line US shop there are a lot of ECM records at good prices, lets say NM records under 8 dollars or less. Since I don't know nothing about the quality of US pressing (US ECM are pressed in US, are they?) , is anybody out there that have more experience? I was asking myself if it worth waiting for german pressings, usually more expensive, (at least in italian shops) , or if I can spare some euros.

To my knowledge, ECM used 3 pressing plants in the US at different times. The earliest ones were crappy. Later they used both Columbia and Wakefield. There might be other variants, but this is what I remember. The later pressings were fine, with a nod to the Wakefields. If you are worried, stick with the European/Polydor pressed records.

Thanks Chuck!

A part the sound quality, the german pressings are long lasting vinyl in my experience, I didn't need to replace any of them with a cd, and I am talking about more then 20 years of listening with every sort of turntable. I am still buying used german pressings and they are usually great, like my old BMW motorbike, no one can stop it!.

Chuck - were the early, crappy ones done exclusively when ECM wss distributed in the US by Polydor? I know that the first few America/Polydor ECMs were indeed so crappy that I got put off of buying anymore for a good long while.

Let me rephrase the question - were all Polydor ECM pressing of the crappy variety? Don't know that I ever got a good one.

When the distribution switche to WB, however, the quality improved dramatically. But still - those German pressings were the quietist vinyl I think I've ever owned.

For the German pressings the quietness quotient is up there with Mosaic Q-LPs Classic Records and Japanese Kings/Toshibas.

I've got both German and US ECMs. The ECMs sound invariably better and I go for them every timne if I can find them. My 'Lookout Farm' is a US pressing I think, this one at least sounds just fine.

• 1 month later...

I´ve bought more than 20 ECM LPs recently, some new (10 Euro at www.jpc.de) some second hand.

The german pressings all sound great, better (more dynamic and direct) than the CD versions in case of many 70´s and 80`s recordings.

I auctioned a couple of US ECM pressings from a UK seller (who described them as Mint), they are noticibly noisier than the german pressings but sound good too

Hi Daniel,

With the new vinyl boom, JPC has added many jazz LPs to their catalogue. Most of them are german OJCs (not recommendable, made from digital masters).

The ECM LPs on the JPC site are the same titles that are being offered on the ECM homepage. So they are in stock at ECM. I got my shipping of a dozen LPs a week after ordering (1-2 weeks was given for most titles). An additional LP with 2-3 weeks shipping time will be sent later without shipping cost.

JPC looks to be the cheapest source for ECM vinyl (10 Euro), prices are 12.5 Euro at Da Capo (they have some additional titles in stock) and 13.8 Euro on the ECM website. Shipping was 7 Euro for 12 LPs.

To see which titles are available on LP. use the advanced search function at JPC or Dacapo (LP+label search). The ECM site doesn't allow searches based on the format.

Edited by Claude