Percy France - I SHOULD CARE (1980)

JSngry

Whatever happened to Percy France?

Hell if I know, but I took advantage of a chance to get this obsucre item on the Endgame label, and HOO-BOY, what a treat! It's a live thing (probably a bootleg, but I hope that at least France himself was the source, if that makes any sense...) from New Rochelle, NY, summer of 1980. Accompaniment is by Dick Katz on piano and JEff Fuller on bass. Selections are all "old favorites". So what's the deal?

I'll tell you what the deal is - Percy France is PLAYING! I only knew him from his odd BN turn or two and some Bill Doggett stuff. A good player, to be sure, but one of many. I figured he'd just disappeared or something. But apparently not!

The Percy France heard here is a superb player in the Hawkins through Byas vein, w/a tough of Jug thrown in as well. GREAT sound, agile chops, a keen harmonic ear, and a beautiful flow of ideas. Nothing at all "innovative", but DAMN this is some fine tenor playing in a style that hardly exists anymore (at least not this organically). The cat plays long, and the cat plays well.

Dick Katz is a treat too, drawing upon his fertile imagination and deep bag of stylistic knowledges in equal measure. At times, he sounds like he's channelling Jimmy Jones harmonically, but mostly he's just going whereever his muse takes him. Which is to some pretty interesting places (he threatens to turn Tatum's "Willow Weep For Me" intro into a boogaloo, but stops just this short of it, which cracks me up). He and France genuinely seem to enjoy the surprises that the other provides.

Jeff Fuller basically doesn't get in the way, which is actually a compliment.

I'm not going to say who I bought this from, but if they have some more copies for sale and want to speak up, here's hoping that they do. And if this is in fact a bootleg that Percy France, Dick Katz, and Jeff Fuller got squat for, if somebody can tell me how to reach them, I'll gladly send them some money. This is a fine program of music.

Highly recommended to fans of old-school, pre-bop modern tenor playing, all-encompasing pianists, and BN trivia buffs.

Now, whatever happened to Percy France after he did this gig?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man oh man!

I dibs the first copy, if that someone wishes to speak up. There was a reference to this release, maybe in the Larry Kart book thread, and I immediately went looking. Thought I found it at Worlds Music-that was where the link in the thread took me-but all they shipped was the $100 worth of other stuff I threw into the order, and not the one thing I really wanted. :excited:

So then I resumed my internet searching and J&R Music seemed to list it, but now its almost to their deadline of 15 days to find something or cancel the order, so it looks like I am SOL again.

BTW, Percy was on the second of my BFTs, off of Sir Charles Thompson and the Swing Organ.

I've got two commercially released cassettes on the Town Crier label under the leadership of pianist Lance Hayward (a kind of Eddie Heywood/cocktailish type) -- "That's All!" and "Live at Eddie Condon's" -- the former with France and Buddy Tate, plus Major Holley and drummer Clarence "Tootsie" Bean, the latter with the same lineup minus Tate ( Rec. in March and April 1984.) France is in great form, as is Tate, and the sound quality is exceptional for live recordings.) Town Crier was the creation of Claudia Marx. She also produced a nice solo album by Roland Hanna, and one that paired Flip Phillips with Toronto-based pianist Carol Britto.

I saw a nice concert with Percy France and Harold Ousley billed as "Two Tenor Boogie" led by pianist Sammy Price - would have been maybe 1987 or so - OK, it was April 3, 1987. This was at Westchester Conservatory in White Plains, NY where bassist Lyn Christie was on the faculty. He played - was there a drummer? Maybe not - I can't recall.

At that time I was very into Jimmy Smith's "Home Cookin'" so it was great to see him - that's been the only time. Don't know if he's still around.

Mike

The Town Crier label still exists

http://www.towncrierrecordings.com/catalog/index.htm

and they have a Lance Hayward album with France on some tracks, though it's not the same material I have on those Town Crier cassettes. If there are any Roland Hanna fans out there, his Town Crier solo album may be his best recording. Terrific sound too.

I was about to post about the website, but Larry beat me to it.

A heads up for the originator of this thread, towncrier also has a Frank Wess date with organist Bobby Forrester, who sounded so good with another tenor who had that France sound, wink wink nudge nudge.

Percy was a very good friend of mine who died in a very tragic way - he was suffering from cancer, recovering slightly, but was hit by a car and killed - one of the nicest people I've ever known, and a major influence on my own saxophone playing (he taught me more about mouthpieces than anyone else). I will say it is still hard for me to discuss him - I spent a lot of time with Percy when I lived in NYC in the late 1970s, he was a frequent performer at the West End Cafe with various groups, including one that I was proud to have put together - a trio with Percy, Bob Neloms on pianio, andf Leroy Williams on drums. What a group - Percy was an amazing performer, one of the hippest I knew, had a nice old-school feeling with plenty of bebop. The Endgame CD you are referring to was recorded for a jazz history class I taught in new Rochelle; it was something of a still-born release, a CD I put together and then withdrew because of a problem with the Japanese, so I have not made it readily available, through there are a few copies floating around. I have plenty in my basement and would be happy to sell for cost, say $4.00 with shipping first class.

Sir Charles Thompson (with whom Percy recorded on Columbia) loved Percy's playing, and he was something of an underground legend. Like some other jazz musicians of great ability he seemd to work hard at avoiding the limelight. He was an interesing guy; somewhere I have an untranscribed tape of an interview; he knew Gigi Gryce well, played in a late 1940s rehearsal band with Miles, also knew Sonny Rollins. A great man, both musically and personally. If you want a copy of the CD email me at alowe@maine.rr.com -

Edited by AllenLowe

not a problem - Percy was really a great human being and a great musician, I'm thrilled that his name has come up. The two musicians I was closest to when I lived in NYC in the late 1970s were Percy and Al Haig, both of whom died suddenly and with little warning. I worry that both are somewhat forgotten today; and I find myself avoiding their recordings, which I find somewhat painful. Percy is particularly obscure and underappreciated - he frequently found himself in musical contexts that did not always bring out his true virtues - he was not really a revivalist, though he had plenty of that Don Byas feeling - he could play bebop with anyone, and I always regarded him as one of the greatest saxophonist I ever heard, bar none -

Edited by AllenLowe

He's also on a Sir Charles Thompson Columbia release, where Thompson plays organ - I'll have to look it up -

AND THE SWING ORGAN, I believe. Also featuring Rudy Rutherford, Aaron Bell, and J. C. Heard. Recently found a copy of this at a local Half-Price Books. Fine stuff, banded for airplay, but not overly "commercial".

He's also on a Sir Charles Thompson Columbia release, where Thompson plays organ - I'll have to look it up -

I mentioned it above, I used a track on my Blindfold Test, its Sir Charles Thompson and the Swing Organ. Great date, as Thompson plays both organ and piano and Percy sounds very fine.

just to mention the West End Cafe, as Larry has - though run by the much maligned Phil Schaap (and I like Phil for all of his foibles), it was at the West End that I saw the following:

Earl Warren (best swing alto player I ever heard - I would take him even over Benny Carter, and he never recorded to advantage)

Sammy Price -

Joe Albany

Jo Jones

Warne Marsh

Dickey Wells

Willis Jackson (I sat in with the band; biggest asshole I ever met; scowled the whole time at the white boy playing tenor next to him)

Jabbo Smith - still had some trumpet chops, and the most beautiful singing voice I ever heard

Joe Turner - was a friend of Percy's, and he used to sing with a mocrophone from a side table. Everything in the key of C -

all for under $5.00. A great place -

I'll give a little extra info on that cover posted by Dan - that's Percy playing at my wedding, September 12, 1982 - and the hidden bass player is Aaron Bell, who was the date of a friend of mine and sitting in with the band (the regular band was: Percy, Randy Sandke, Dick Katz, Skinny Burgan, Leroy Williams) - the hidden trumpet player is Randy Sandke -

Edited by AllenLowe