Kenny Dorham Discographical Info wanted

MartyJazz

I have two private tapes of KD recently transferred to CD-R of which the discographical data I have is open to question. The KD discography on the net is of no help here. Specifically, the data I have indicates that both live performances were done at the "Blue Morocco" club in the Bronx, NY in April, 1967. Yet the personnel on both is completely different except for the presence of Paul Chambers on bass which leads me to believe that it is unlikely that KD headed two different groups at the same club during the same month in 1967. The tunes and personnel that I have are as follows:

KD; Sonny Red (as); Cedar Walton; PC; unknown drums; Joe Lee Wilson (vcl)*

1) Bags' Groove

2) Blue Bossa

3) Four/Theme

*4) I Remember April

KD; David 'Fathead' Newman (ts); Ronnie Matthews (p); PC; Candy Finch (d)

1) I Love You

2) Straight Ahead

3) Walkin'

Can anybody (e.g, Mike F) verify whether the above data is accurate or what corrections should be made?

Edited by MartyJazz

The first one I have it as 4-16-1967

and the second I have as 5-8-1967

In the past I had done some hunting around on the net and I found a page of Kenny Dorham recordings. It had them listed as these 2 dates as well. Hopefully they are the correct dates.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

The first one I have it as 4-16-1967

and the second I have as 5-8-1967

In the past I had done some hunting around on the net and I found a page of Kenny Dorham recordings. It had them listed as these 2 dates as well. Hopefully they are the correct dates.

Thanks, although it's still somewhat surprising that he led two distinctly different groups within 3 weeks or so of each other at the same club. In any event, the KD discography available as the 1st choice when doing a Google, lists no private dates for '67 at all. Again, thanks.

Hi,

I have the following:

Kenny Dorham (tp, ann), David Newman (ts, fl), Ronnie Matthews (p), Paul Chambers (b), Otis Finch (dm), unknown (ann)

Blue Morocco, New York City, April 1967

I love you 16:37

Straight ahead 7:43

Walkin’ 12:59

Blues 10:30

announcement by Kenny Dorham 0:16

Mañha de carnaval (Black Orpheus) 6:45

announcement by Kenny Dorham 0:03

Kenny Dorham (tp), Sonny Red (as), Cedar Walton (p), Paul Chambers (b), Hersh Charles (dm), Joe Lee Wilson (voc, ann)

Minton’s, New York City, April 10, 1967

Bag’s groove 14:07

Blue bossa 12:45

I’ll remember April-vocJLW 8:04

What’s new?-vocJLW 6:20

Four-vocJLW 5:43

The theme 7:45

I can't confirm those dates because the Blue Morocco didn't seem to advertise (and even if they did, probably wouldn't include personnel). I have seen April 10, 1967 for the gig with Kyner and Joe Lee Wilson - drummer is reportedly Russ Charles (sometimes listed as Hersh Charles). Also, my entry has a performance of What's New, with this sequence:

Date: April 10, 1967

Label: Private Recording

Kenny Dorham (ldr), Sylvester 'Sonny Red' Kyner (as), Kenny Dorham (t), Cedar Walton (p), Paul Chambers (b), Russ Charles (d), Joe Lee Wilson (v)

a. Bags' Groove - 14:13 (Milt Jackson)

b. Blue Bossa - 13:58 (Kenny Dorham)

c. I'll Remember April - 08:30 (Gene DePaul, Don Raye, Patricia Johnston)

d. What's New - 08:40 (Bob Haggart, Johnny Burke)

e. Four - 06:14 (Miles Davis, Eddie Vinson)

f. The Theme - 04:00 (Traditional, Kenny Dorham)

I wouldn't be too concerned with the difference in personnel, because gigs like that might not use a working band, just a group of guys who happened to be around at the time.

There's another 1967 Dorham date floating around out there with: Kenny Dorham, Gene Harris, Victor Sproles, Jimmy Lovelace, Joe Lee Wilson. And Dorham was gigging with Frank Foster at the Five Spot in Feb. 1967. In 1967, Candy Finch was in Dizzy's band, so they must have been in NYC on a break. Cedar Walton was gigging with Milt Jackson and others at the time. Ronnie Mathews was with Hubbard. Lots of variables in play.

In the mid 1960s, sometimes Sonny Rollins totally changed his sidemen from night to night while on a two-week gig at a club!

Mike