ECM to begin reissues

Aggie87

June 23 , 2005

Jarrett, Priester, Kuhn, Holland, Phillips - ECM reissues

ECM is reactivating its reissue programme with some much requested albums.

Four titles are reissued on compact disc on August 15. “Concerts (Bregenz/München)” as a specially priced 3-CD set with Keith Jarrett’s epochal solo recordings of 1981. The Bregenz disc was previously available as a single CD. Lavishly annotated, the CD set includes a German/English booklet with liner notes by Jarrett, an essay by Peter Rüedi, and poetry by Michael Krüger. In his book, “Keith Jarret: The Man And His Music”, Ian Carr suggested that the Bregenz and Munich concerts were high points in Jarrett’s solo discography, an opinion echoed by many other critics.

Numerous listeners, having worn out their vinyl albums, have petitioned ECM for a rerelease of “Love, Love” by trombonist Julian Priester. This recording from 1974 is a still powerful historic artefact from the dawn of the so-called Fusion Era. Having just left Herbie Hancock’s Mwandishi Band, Priester rounded up some of the most explosive talents in electric jazz, including musicians from Weather Report, Return To Forever, and the bands of McCoy Tyner and Bobby Hutcherson, and let them loose on his powerful riff-based compositions which suggest some new amalgamation of Afro-Funk, Jazz-Rock and Minimal Music.

“Trance” was the 1974 recording that brought pianist Steve Kuhn to ECM, with a session that also included Steve Swallow, Jack DeJohnette, and Sue Evans. It was recorded in New York City, shortly after Kuhn had returned there, following an extended and influential stay in Scandinavia. Featuring the pianist on both electric and acoustic instruments, “Trance” introduces several enduring Kuhn classics such as “Silver”, “Life’s Backward Glance”, as well as the title track.

“Music From Two Basses” is the 1971 recording that marked the ECM leader debuts of both Dave Holland and Barre Phillips, and is, we think, the first bass duet album in improvised music. Long a reference recording for bassists and all others interested in creative music, this album incorporates much free-playing as well as theme-based improvisations, and Dave Holland’s popular tune, “Song for Clare”.

“Music From Two Basses” is the 1971 recording that marked the ECM leader debuts of both Dave Holland and Barre Phillips, and is, we think, the first bass duet album in improvised music. Long a reference recording for bassists and all others interested in creative music, this album incorporates much free-playing as well as theme-based improvisations, and Dave Holland’s popular tune, “Song for Clare”.

WTF...I bought this as a Japanese issue last year.

I'd like to see ECM spit out Eberhard Weber's Yellow Fields and the duet album with Derek Bailey and Dave Holland.

Guest akanalog

both the kuhn and the phillips have been available for a whle. so this nonplusses me.

people are always askin for yellow fields but it is right there on the ECM webpage.

i think some of these japanese releases aren't through ECM per se though.

like arcade came out a while ago and if i am not mistaken i missed out on illusion suite.

well at least the priester is coming out. though it would be nice to have his other album also.

Guest akanalog

well i am not going to look but i ordered a copy from ECM along with two barre phillips CDs, motians "Tribute" and terje rypdal's "after the rain".

well i am not going to look but i ordered a copy from ECM along with two barre phillips CDs, motians "Tribute" and terje rypdal's "after the rain".

I picked up After the Rain at Tower, E. 4th last week and even though it's an import, it didn't have an import price.

These reissues are welcomed, but I will stick to my recently found mint LP copies of "Trance" and "Love love".

In my view ECM LPs (german pressings) sound consistingly better than the 80's and 90's CD reissues. Not that the CDs sound bad, but the sound is more distant and flat and amplifies the more negative aspects of the "ECM sound". With other labels, I often prefer the CD versions.

Yeah... "Circling In" and "Circulus" as Chick Corea BN two-fers include material recorded with amalgamations of that band (Mosaic, anyone?), and Japanese CBS released "Gathering" and "Live In German Concert" in the late '70s, both of which annihilate the ECM any day for me. Perversely good stuff.

So that's four non-ECM vs. one ECM recording.

'Love, Love' and 'Trance' are two favourites of mine in the German vinyl version.

I'm suprised to see 'Love, Love' listed as there was some mention in the past of the master tapes being in pretty lousy shape.

'Polarization' needs to be in their next batch of reissues. That one is a beauty.