You hate him - I love him

Bright Moments

The thing that usually bugs me about Peterson is his soloing. His melodic expositions are often sublime, always some nice stuff there. but when the solo begins, it's just a matter of time (usually sooner than later) before he starts playing all that doo-dah shit, and frankly, it turns me off faster than I do my TV whenever Robin Leach comes on.

I love the Stratford Shakespearean Festival CD.

That is, IMO, his one really great record.

I also like his London House records and some of the duets especially the one with Dizzy.

I don't know if you ever heard the OSCAR PETERSON JAM, MONTREAUX 1977 where he and Dizzy joust on "Ali and Frazier", that is just blazing!

To paraphrase Mel Lewis on Buddy Rich : "he's the best in the world, at what he does ".

You just have to dig it in whatever dose that you can handle, and appreciate it for what is is.

Man, had no idea what everyone's feelings toward him were. Just except he has a different style than most other pianists, if you don't like it, that's cool. I love his Night Train and We Get Requests albums. His Live at CBC Studios release was tremendous! Very fresh. Don't prefer his trio without a drummer.

I know what Jim means, and I try to phase that out and listen to him more; he rewards listening even with the frustrations.

I dig all those Clef and Verve Songbooks, especially the Clef with Ellis in the trio. My opinion of him has been evolving the last three years or so.

Edited by jazzbo

• 2 years later...

Wow, the OP threads certainly have a way of causing controversy, whether that controversy is based on OP himself or otherwise.

In the spirit of the New Year and keeping things relatively on-track, although I don't necessarily agree with the concept of blasphemy, I've edited my post and deleted the posts concerning religious discussion, which belong in the Politics & Religion forum.

Back on topic, I've watched that clip several times and its pretty darn amazing.