Roland Kirk

Jazz Kat

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Rhino/Atlantic 2CD compilation 'Does Your House Have Lions' is a very good place to start. If you are feeling flush with the $, add to that the 'Complete Mercury Recordings' box set. This latter package is just phenomenal, lovingly compiled by Kiyoshi 'Boxman' Koyama.

Edited by sidewinder

'Inflated Tear' is indeed something of a masterpiece, the best of his Atlantics and offers a very good all-round view of Kirk's talents with one of his most sympathetic lineups (Ron Burton, Steve Novosel, Jimmy Hopps). If my memory is correct wasn't this one also recorded at Webster Hall?

A few of my favorites (RRK is one of those artists whose presence on any recording is incentive for me to obtain it).............................

Rig, Rip and Panic/Now Please Don't You Cry, Beautiful Edith (twofer)

We Free Kings

w/Jack McDuff, Kirk's Work

Roy Haynes, Out of the Afternoon

Mingus, Oh Yeah

If you ever happen upon a copy of the Mercury box, grab it!

There are many others, but I will stop here and observe other board members offer their choices..........

edited for spelling...........

Edited by Free For All

There are two titles available at yourmusic.com for the low price of $5.99 - Domino, and Live In Copenhagen. Both well worth the price and then some!

Edit - Another vote for "We Free Kings". There's also an interesting late era compilation called "Simmer, Reduce, Garnish & Serve".

Edited by Aggie87

There are two titles available at yourmusic.com for the low price of $5.99 - Domino, and Live In Copenhagen.  Both well worth the price and then some!

Edit - Another vote for "We Free Kings".  There's also an interesting late era compilation called "Simmer, Reduce, Garnish & Serve".

Yes, SRG&S is a nice compilation of RRK's Warner sessions.

e52583q3334.jpg

Seriously, scrimp and save every penny you can, sell off unwanted possessions, work overtime, whatever it takes, to get the Mercury box. One of the most consistently enjoyable collections of music I own. It will give you many hours of rewarding listening.

After that, there was a twofer of Rip, Rig & Panic (which is in the box) with Now Please Don't You Cry, Beautiful Edith (which isn't) on Emarcy.

Inflated Tear (Atlantic)

Kirk's Work with Jack McDuff (Prestige/ OJC)

The Jaki Byard Experience (Prestige/ OJC)

Roy Haynes- Out of the Afternoon (Impulse)

Charles Mingus- Oh Yeah (Atlantic)

Some of the later Atlantic is a little patchy but he usually does something worthwhile on all of them.

And, while it's not in the front rank of Rahsaan appearances, try and catch his guest spot with Mingus on C Jam Blues from Mingus at Carnegie Hall (Atlantic, 1974)... Kirk totally tears up George Adams with hilarious consequences! :g

After that, there was a twofer of Rip, Rig & Panic (which is in the box) with Now Please Don't You Cry, Beautiful Edith (which isn't) on Emarcy.

The Jaki Byard Experience (Prestige/ OJC)

Roy Haynes- Out of the Afternoon (Impulse)

These are the three that get the most play at my house.

Bought my first two Rahsaan LPs of my life the other day. One was the 2-lp set Bright Moments. I didn't enjoy that anywhere nearly as much as "The Inflated Tear." The Steve Turre album, "The Spirits Up Above," a tribute to his former employer was my introduction to RRK's music and I am so glad I am starting a collection. Is there a reason to get the Mercury box before picking up his Atlantic sides? And isn't there something to be said for trying to collect each LP or CD. Has anyone besides Bright Moments done this? Is it very hard to come by RRK's Emarcy LPs and if so is that why its just easier to go get the Mercury box?

cannonball-addict