Yusef Lateef - Psychicemotus

mikeweil

I find the sound of this reissue is below the standard of the LPR series. Van Gelder's 1960's piano sound never was overwhelming, but here I perceive it as harsh (and almost distorted in track 7), and mixed to the extreme left it sounds unpleasant. The bass sound is dry, almost as with a pickup (but 1965 is too early for a bass pickup).

Furthermore, I hear some bass notes in the background on the Gymnopédie track, as if they had the original basstrack mixed down except for some notes on the downbeats - seems there was a much busier bass part at first.

Anyone else hear this?

Edited by mikeweil

I listened to this a half a dozen times when it first came out, and feel that the sound is excellent; sounds a lot like the lp I have of this (without all the groove wear!). So . . . no. . . I don't remember it sounding the way you seem to, and I don't remember the bass notes.

Flurin also said this sounded bad in the store when it came out. . . . I'm wondering if this European version is the same transfer I have here in the US or if there is a pressing problem, etc.

Flurin also said this sounded bad in the store when it came out. . . . I'm wondering if this European version is the same transfer I have here in the US or if there is a pressing problem, etc.

Sounds reasonable .....

Being late here... although couw told me about this thread. Got the Euro version in the meantime and *love* it, but sound is indeed merely ok, not at all outstanding. I didn't listen to my disc closely enough to hear those bass lines, but I will try and play in on headphones.

I listened to this again this weekend.

I would in no way consider the sound of the piano to be harsh. Everything is very smooth and resonant. The piano plays very softly in some parts; dynamics are well presented on this session. The bass drum and tamborine sound really nice with the room reflections. . . .

I think there's something amiss with your version. . . I can't imagine my copy sounding as you describe it. I forgot what track had those "ghost bass notes," but regardless I didn't notice any. . . .

Checking this out now. Piano far on the left, yes, "hidden" bass on "Gymnopédie", too... I guess my very first notion (remembered by Lon) was pretty much correct. Sound is ok, but it's no way a great sounding reissue - definitely not. Good to have the music, though, but *IF* the Americans get a better-sounding version, that sucks!

• 1 month later...

I have the Euro pressing and was also surprised by the sound. I suspect these "Impulse originals" are just repressings of mid-90s reissues with no new mastering. When I first spotted this one together with the Gabor I thought I had chanced upon an older US reissue which had somehow found it's way into Euro retail, not being aware of any new Impulse or Verve/Universal reissue series.

But maybe it is a new (barebone) reissue series a la the latest Bethlehem Toshibas. That would fit the present restrictive reissue policies of the majors.

I have the Euro pressing and was also surprised by the sound. I suspect these "Impulse originals" are just repressings of mid-90s reissues with no new mastering. When I first spotted this one together with the Gabor I thought I had chanced upon an older US reissue which had somehow found it's way into Euro retail, not being aware of any new Impulse or Verve/Universal reissue series.

But maybe it is a new (barebone) reissue series a la the latest Bethlehem Toshibas. That would fit the present restrictive reissue policies of the majors.

But then why are there still LPRs (or at least the batch including this disc was still an LPR) in the US? Sucks! First EMI/Blue Note goes the copycrap route (my first wish for new Conns or RVGs would be regular Compact Discs, no matter what's on them...), then Universal goes shit (cover print quality/pixels is not first rate on these, either, to put it mildly), and then what? Maybe we'd be better off (at least in respect of getting nice jazz reissues) if the US annected Europe in one go, maybe after they'll be done with Iran, North Corea and Cuba. :angry:

That's interesting. . . but to my knowledge there WAS no mid-nineties reissue of either the Lateef or Gabor titles (there was a nice sounding K2 Japanese reissue of the Gabor later).