2006 annual wish-list for Conns (or maybe Waters?)

Rooster_Ties

My first priority for Conns would be Natural Essence, with a substantial portion of the "trainwreck" as bonus tracks (or else why bother reissuing it, since it's been out in Japan).

Some have argued that only Water would touch it -- but look at the line-up, and tell me this isn't Conn-worthy: Tyrone, Woody Shaw, James Spaulding, Kenny Barron, Reggie Workman, and Joe Chambers. Not one single player (other than TW) who wasn't on dozens and dozens of other key recordings during their careers - including a TON of dates for BN (collectively). Also, Water hasn't done bonus tracks on anything to date (that I know of), so it would seem the only way to get at least some of the "trainwreck" out there would be to go the Conn route.

Also, I might mention this quote (from another board) is about as much as almost ANYONE knows about how "it" sounds...

OK, the Tyrone Washington trainwreck date is not so bad. It is kind of out there though there are tunes, some interesting ones in fact. Herbie Hancock plays great on it and is very experimental at times. Tyrone sounds most like Sam Rivers to me on this date and the date has elements of a Sam Rivers date or perhaps a little Andrew Hill with Chick Corea (with Bennie Maupin)"Is" thrown in. The real problem to me is it seems that Herbie Lewis and Jack DeJohnette never really hook up, especially on the medium tempo tunes. One tune is almost completetly free with a section of what can only be described as vocal "sounds" in a sort of deep you're a mean one Mr. Grinch voice. Stangely there is no vocal interlude on the second take, I guess that was a bit much for Alfred. There is some worthy stuff here but it couldn't be released on it's own. I guess you could put a few bonus tracks on Natural Essence...

I don't care if all of "it" gets released (the take with vocals, for instance, can stay in the can), but I sure do hope the rest of it gets out someday -- and a Natural Essence Conn is its only hope. (And remember, we got a TON of unreleased Andrew Hill over just the last couple years -- some of it kinda rough too -- so I think there's real hope yet for the trainwreck.)

I could list a few more titles I'd like for 2006 Conns (October probably? - getting to be an annual event), but I'll let some others plug their favorites first.

Also, don't forget, if the recent past is any indication, I think there's a darn good chance that one or two of the 6 Conns will be of dates that have never been on CD before (except as part of some Mosaic set -- presumably one that's currently OOP now). So, what are your two favorite sessions that have never been on CD in the US, except as part of an OOP Mosaic??

And what else are you dying to get on CD, finally!!

Have at it...

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a little too much material for a Select, maybe not a potential high-return Mosaic, so let's get those Horace Silver "Silver and...." sides out on CD. Please? :)

It doesn't even have to be the whole series....how about "Brass", "Wood" and "Percussion"?

I could live without "Voices" and "Strings", although there are great Harrell and Berg solos to be found everywhere in the series.

It's about time. The 70s are the new 50s.

Edited by Free For All

Andrew Hill - Compulsion, and the two unissued sessions that were in the first Mosaic box (2/10/65 and 3/7/66). If necessary (won't sell yada yada), they could fit the three sessions on a 2-CD set and label it Compulsion with mucho bonus cuts.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

As far as dates from OOP Mosaics go, I think if they wanted to do a Larry Young date, CONTRASTS is the way to go (clearly), over the only other Larry Young option (Heaven on Earth).

Or if they wanted another Andrew Hill date, COMPULSION!!!!! seems like the best choice (and supposedly high on Hill's list of favorites).

Out of the Jackie McLean set, I'd really like to see IT'S TIME, since that's one of Tolliver's very best side-man dates from the 60's. (And with interest in Tolliver starting to ramp back up, with the Select, and his being on the new Andrew Hill date - there'd be a lot of logic in putting IT'S TIME back out there again.

The Byrd/Adams and Blue Mitchell sets haven't been OOP that long, and most of that material seems better suited for the RVG series anyway. (And the more obscure (Conn-like) dates from the Byrd/Adams and Mitchell sets seem like they'd not be such incredible sellers anyway. I'm thinking of that one Byrd/Adams date from the late 60's, with Chick Corea. Someday, maybe, but not after the set just went OOP less than six months ago.)

IMHO, the Dizzy Reece and Elvin Jones ideas aren't gonna fly right now. Both of those dates are currently still in print as part of the Reece Select, and Jones full-size box. Singles from those sets ain't gonna happen while the larger sets are still in print.

The Creeper -- yeah, that's the one. VERY interesting day, but I'm not entirely sure it totally works. (That's not a huge slam - The Creeper is probably my favorite date on the entire Byrd/Adams box, cuz my tastes lean more towards late 60's material, even if the earlier stuff "works" better.) Maybe, since the Byrd/Adams box is OOP -- but it just went out of print like yesterday, so I really don't think anything in that set is up for consideration. Same thing with the Blue Mitchell material, though it's been OOP a little longer.

Guest akanalog

man...well some people like me do not like box sets! i only like to buy single albums or two-fers.

speaking of which, too bad crappy concord will never put out joe henderson's "black narcissus" as a single disc i bet.

sorry wrong thread.

I'm not sure to what extent people have considered this, but one of Mosaic's recent Selects breaks the mold as far as that series goes and, I think, opens the door for more of the same. I'm talking about "The Pacific Jazz Piano Trios", the one that features Dick Twardzik, Russ Freeman Jimmy Rowles and Claire Fischer. If they can do that, then wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that they might consider others of the same ilk down the road. i.e. ones that focus on the same instrument, but with different contributors. I say, more power to them.

When you think about it, there's really no limit to what Mosaic can do with these smaller sets, as long as they maintain some continuity in terms of the music they choose to present. Point being, I don't think you'd sell many Selects that featured Tyrone Washington and, say, Bud Shank.

Up over and out.

Dizzy Reece: STAR BRIGHT, a very nice date that includes Hank, Wynton K, PC & AT. I have a mono Blue Note copy, but would love to have it on CD as well.

Star Bright is on the Dizzy Reece Mosaic Select. Excellent session!

Another vote for Compulsion!!!!! -- anything with that many exclamation points just HAS to be great, right? ;)

Also would like to see Unit Structures as an RVG or Conn.

A Kenny Cox 2 CD set with 'Multidirection' and 'Introducing Kenny Cox'.

I agree - and I really hope they can either do a 2 CD set (a "two-fer"), or else some minor edit to fit both dates on one disc (I know some hate this idea, but I'm OK with it).

My concern is that If we only get ONE of the dates as a single disc, then we'll NEVER see the 2nd one. Sales for the first one won't justify releasing the 2nd one. Gotta be a two-fer, and get both of them out of the way at the SAME time -- the way I see it.