Harp in Jazz

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Betty Glamann who recorded Kenny Dorham's 'Jazz Contrasts' on Riverside! She was also marvelous with the Oscar Pettiford big band recordings on ABC! She did wonders with that non-jazz instrument.

Wish I had heard more of Janet Putman who did good work with the Jazz Modes and was also picked to play harp in the Miles Davis/Gil Evans album 'Sketches of Spain'.

Have yet to hear a Dorothy Ashby date that really impresses me but I have not heard many!

There's also Jack Melady. He did an album of his own and he appeared on one or two Prestige albums--one with Lucky Thompson:

183703.jpg

Mostly, he recorded Irish music (with the Clancy Brothers). We met in Iceland when I was an AFRS dj and he played trombone in the USAF band. I haven't seen him in a long time, so I don't know if he is still playing.

There was a lady jazz harpist who had her own trio and unfortunately died recently. Can't remembere her name, but she was the subject of an article by Whitney Balliett, if you wish to look her up.

I'm unable to remember whether or not the 50's sauter Finegan band had a harpist, but you might check that out too. :angry:

Betty Glamann who recorded Kenny Dorham's 'Jazz Contrasts' on Riverside! She was also marvelous with the Oscar Pettiford big band recordings on ABC! She did wonders with that non-jazz instrument.

Wish I had heard more of Janet Putman who did good work with the Jazz Modes and was also picked to play harp in the Miles Davis/Gil Evans album 'Sketches of Spain'.

Have yet to hear a Dorothy Ashby date that really impresses me but I have not heard many!

Betty also appeared on a few tracks of Johnny Lytle's "People and love" on Milestone in 1972. I thought her playing was very effective in what was a very funky LP.

MG

Strange how that works! For alll the world I couldn't remember the name of that lady harpist who played jazz, forgot about it and went about my business. Then about a half hour later, her first name popped into my head. A few minutes later, it all came back. It's as if while you're doing something else, part of your brain goes about opening dusty file drawers until it finds the answer.

The lady's name was Daphne Hellman. She had a home near me on Long Island, and her trio was called

Hellman's Angels. Thats all I know, and I didn't know I knew that.

Carol Emanuel's work with John Zorn was always really cool -- snippets on the first Filmworks, Cobra (with Zeena Parkins--yes, two harpists on the same album) & especially Spillane (she is also responsible for the woman's scream at the start). She also had a solo album on Koch though I haven't heard it. No idea what she's up to nowadays.

I remember Dorothy Ashby's Savoy recordings as being pretty good. You can hear one of the harpists on Cobra quote from one of Ashby's tunes at one point.

Carol Emanuel's work with John Zorn was always really cool -- snippets on the first Filmworks, Cobra (with Zeena Parkins--yes, two harpists on the same album) & especially Spillane (she is also responsible for the woman's scream at the start). She also had a solo album on Koch though I haven't heard it. No idea what she's up to nowadays.

I remember Dorothy Ashby's Savoy recordings as being pretty good. You can hear one of the harpists on Cobra quote from one of Ashby's tunes at one point.

Carol Emanuel with her sisters Ruth and Irene all played harp on Wadada Leo Smith's piece "The Burning of Stones". Muted trumpet and 3 harps! We recorded this at RVG's on May 21, 1979.

FWIW, Betty Glamman (or Glamann) plays on Ellington's "A Drum Is A Woman" too.

If I could choose but one jazz - no, any style - harp CD, it would be the Prestige twofer of Dorothy Ashby combining her two LPs Hip Harp and In a Minor Groove - the reissue is titled like the latter. Flutist Frank Wess is an ideal partner, and the rhythm men (including Roy Haynes!) swing with zestful elegance.

B00000JAFI.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I have heard several Ashby albums, but these remain the best for me.

There was a Japanese harpist following her style, Tadao Hayashi, who was killed in 2001, I have two excellent jazz LPs he made, three of them are available from a Phillipine site (that's where he lived last):

http://www.book-of-dreams.com/philippine-music8.htm

tadao_hayashi_timeless_piec.jpg

Saw Zeena Parkins and Ikue Mori live last year or the year before... Zeena was terrific!

Here's their disc, which comes recommended to anyone inclined to look a wee bit further than yer ole Blue Note hardbop grandpa stuff:

mego071.jpg

This *great* third stream album (starring John Lewis, Stan Getz, Tony Scott, Aaron Sachs, Lucky Thompson and others) includes some very effective harp comping:

B00000K1HZ.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This thread indeed is fascinating and makes me want to buy some more CDs... as if I didn't have more than enough already. But I'll definitely want to check out "Afro Harping" and the twofer by Dorothy Ashby.

Edited by king ubu