Interesting Article on Yusef Lateef

Typo alert: Lucky Millinder

Has anyone heard Lateef's double CD from last year?

The most recent music from Lateef that I've heard is that Go:Organic Orchestra music on Rudolph's Meta Records. That's an incredible melange.

By the way, how do you pronounce Assif's last name?

Thanks for posting the article.

Edited by Lazaro Vega

Typo alert: Lucky Millinder

The most recent music from Lateef that I've heard is that Go:Organic Orchestra music on Rudolph's Meta Records. That's an incredible melange.

By the way, how do you pronounce Assif's last name?

Thanks for posting the article.

I think the first a is silent.

I interviewed Yusef Lateef yesterday. It was also a video interview. He told me some great stories on mingus, Roland Kirk and Dolphy. I'll post a link to the short vid when it'll be on line. I also him play last night with the Belmondo Bros. It wasn't a perfect gig, but I loved it, warts and all.

Lateef's recent Album "Influence" is actually under the French Belmondo Bros. name. It's a double CD. The first CD is more third streamy penned by Lionel Belmondo. The 2nd CD is more Jazzy and it includes some of Lateef's music, including remakes of some of Lateef's Jazz Moods (Savoy) tunes.

Lateef's chops are not what they used to be, but hey - the man is almost 86. But when he speaks thru his axes he's really saying something. Lateef's flute work is great. His sound is still golden. The flute is now Lateef's main Axe. Lateef's chops on the tenor is not that strong, but he still can tell a great story on it. The one thing that is was sad to listen to is his Oboe work. Not good at all.

All in all - I would recommend to give "Influence" a spin, even several spins. You'll like it I believe.

Off topic and forgive the grumbling, but I still can't believe that Chattanooga, Tennessee, birthplace of Bessie Smith, Jimmy Blanton, and Yusef Lateef, doesn't have a single dedicated jazz club.

But here I sit. <_<

You might not want to visit the Waiters & Waitresses Club on 9th Street. Years ago, as the jukebox had patrons percolating to the sound of Aretha, I and some friends had a memorable experience there, but we were courting disaster.

Here's a short clip of my interview with Yusef Lateef. You can read the full interview after polishing your Hebrew skills here

besides what's on the video clip, We talked about His days in Detroit, the Muslim riots after those Danish Caricatures, the genius of Eric Dolphy, the Israeli-Palestinian struggle, His future plans, YAL, the making of Bamboo flutes in 2 hours and the absolutely essential fact that despite what's written in his bio, it was Roy Brooks rather than Lateef that played the Shofar!

Lateef is an incredible man, I feel very fortunate to have spent time with him and listen to his stories and wisdom

Here's a short clip of my interview with Yusef Lateef. You can read the full interview after polishing your Hebrew skills here

It's a real pity that the interview isn't in English, because I thought it was even more interesting than Tsahar's! Thanks, Barak.

I thought it was really interesting that he was concerned about Jews taking offense at the playing of the shofar.

Guy

Monsieur Clementin, I have not heard much very recent Tsahar. I'm still digging the Hopscotch 'Live at the Fundaction Juan Miro' with Sonny Murray and Peter Kowald. Very impressed with that one! Also with a couple of Ayler albums - both with Hamid Drake - 'Sould Bodies, vol. 1' and 'Live at Glenn Miller Café'.

There's food for the brain there!

On a side note, I have been advised by friends to avoid Assif's mother who is based in Paris nowadays. I have stuck to the advice so far. But maybe I'm missing something there!

Back to Yusef now!