Yusef Lateef's Funk

Guest akanalog

"the doctor is in...and out" is pretty funky, but then it gets weird. the first 2/3 is sweet-kenny barron on keys, al foster on drums, anthony jackson on bass...but then there is a weird spoken word and ARP bleep song that gets good but spends a little too long getting to that point (even though it is only like 4 minutes long) and then a joke-ey sort of violin thing and then lateef playing sax over an old recording of "in a spanish town" which is kind of cool but after two silly songs, kind of kills the album for me.

"autopyschicotemus" or whatever on CTI is sort of funk and fun but nothing great and sort of falls into cheesiness at points.

i think "the gentle giant" got kinda funky for a little but i didn't love it as an album.

i do have a question about it-there is a version of hey jude that is really soft but in the liners it says "do not adjust your volume, adjust your mind"-so it was not a mistake that hey jude is quiet? it gets louder i guess. but i always wondered if the "adjust..." comment was sort of playing off the goofup or if lateef was serious. he seems weird so i guess he could have been serious.

i have a live recording of lateef from like '78, which is pretty funky. i think maybe khalid moss, greg bandy and steve neill are the band? but they come out playing this sick groove-fun stuff.

I know Yusef's 'Jazz Around The World'. It's nice enough but the pieces are all on the short side and the emphasis is on the around the world theme. A bit gimmicky imo.

Yes, nice album but I would agree, the tracks end far too early before the group really gets fully into the material. 'Live at Peps' and 'The Golden Flute' are more satisfying in this respect.