Kenny Burrell - Freedom

Kyo

Sounds tasty to me:

Kenny Burrell Sextet

Stanley Turrentine (ts) Herbie Hancock (p) Kenny Burrell (g) Ben Tucker (b) Bill English (d) Ray Barretto (cga)

Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, October 22, 1964

1449 tk.2 Love, Your Spell Is Everywhere Blue Note (J) GXF 3057

1450 tk.20 Freedom -

1451 tk.25 Lonesome Road -

1452 tk.31 G Minor Bash -

1453 tk.42 K Twist -

* Kenny Burrell - Freedom (Blue Note (J) GXF 3057, (J) GXK 8170)

Has there ever been a CD version or is one possibly planned?

I just noticed that a recording of K Twist was included as a bonus track on the Midnight Blue RVG. It seems to be from this session. Huh?! :wacko: No discographical info for this track is given except for a sentence in Blumenthal's "A New Look At ..." essay which claims it was recorded almost two years later on a session designed to produce material for release on 45. To make things even worse the RVG claims Midnight Blue was recorded on April 21, 1967 - wasn't that sometime in early '63? That would also explain the "almost two years later" comment. It doesn't make much sense that Blumenthal also mentions the addition of Herbie Hancock on piano (which is true for the rest of the Freedom session) when he doesn't play on K Twist.

Once again I find myself very confused by a Blue Note release.

Edited by Kyo

I just noticed that a recording of K Twist was included as a bonus track on the Midnight Blue RVG. It seems to be from this session. Huh?! :wacko: No discographical info for this track is given except for a sentence in Blumenthal's "A New Look At ..." essay which claims it was recorded almost two years later on a session designed to produce material for release on 45. To make things even worse the RVG claims Midnight Blue was recorded on April 21, 1967 - wasn't that sometime in early '63? That would also explain the "almost two years later" comment. It doesn't make much sense that Blumenthal also mentions the addition of Herbie Hancock on piano (which is true for the rest of the Freedom session) when he doesn't play on K Twist.

Once again I find myself very confused by a Blue Note release.

The Midnight Blue session was recorded on January 8, 1963 at RvG Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ.

"K Twist" belongs to a session (with 4 other tracks) which was recorded at RVG Studio on October 22, 1964.

It seems Blumenthal's claim is correct.

Peter

EDIT: My mistake.

Oops, I just realized that Blumenthal merely claims that K Twist was recorded AGAIN nearly two years later. So it IS from the original '63 session after all.

Guess I'm just easily confused. :blush: But then the RVG giving a completely wrong recording date for the entire session doesn't help...

Edited by Kyo

But Hancock doesn't play on K Twist and that's the only track included on the disc he's talking about.

If he'd said that Hancock only played on the other material from the session, it wouldn't be so confusing.

So there is no piano either on K Twist? Now I understand your confusion.

Perhaps Blumenthal didn't listen to the extra track which was added to the RVG of Midnight Blue and just presumed all the mentioned tracks from the Freedom session were played with the complete lineup (incl. Hancock).

Edit: problem solved - just read Kyo's latest post.

Edited by Peter A

This has been discussed before:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=22565

I'd buy a reissue of this as soon as it was out, but perhaps a MOSAIC Select of Burrell's 1960's Blue Note sessions is an option.

If there are indeed nine Burrell tracks that could be included in a Conn edition of this

- as indicated by Mike Casinghino in this old thread - I'm pretty sure that Cuscuna will

just opt for a single disc Connoisseur Edition release at some point. All the other

Burrell Blue Note albums are easily available on CD at the moment, after all.

Edited by Kyo

[it was a busy day for Kenny because he had a session the same day in Englewood Cliffs with Jack McDuff. It would make sense though because Ray Barretto is on both sessions.

That's funny indeed! And a busy day for Rudy too. I wonder which session was first...

Brother Jack McDuff Sextet

Harold Vick (ts) Eric Dixon (ts, fl) Brother Jack McDuff (org) Kenny Burrell (g) Joe Dukes (d) Ray Barretto (cga)

Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, January 8, 1963

3716 Somethin' Slick! Prestige 45-246, PRLP 7265, PR 7481, PRCD 24131-2

3717 How High the Moon Prestige PRLP 7265, PRCD 24131-2

3718 Shaky Prestige PR 7666, PRCD 24131-2

3719 Love Walked In Prestige PR 7347, PRCD 24131-2

3720 Easy Livin' unissued

3721 It's a Wonderful World Prestige PRLP 7265, PR 7596, PRCD 24131-2

3722 Smut Prestige PRLP 7265, PRCD 24131-2

3723 Our Miss Brooks -

* Brother Jack McDuff - Somethin' Slick! (Prestige PRLP 7265)

* Brother Jack McDuff's Greatest Hits (Prestige PR 7481)

* Brother Jack McDuff - Steppin' Out (Prestige PR 7666)

* Kenny Burrell - Crash! (Prestige PR 7347)

* Brother Jack McDuff Plays for Beautiful People (Prestige PR 7596)

* Kenny Burrell/Jack McDuff - Crash! (Prestige PRCD 24131-2)

* Jack McDuff - Somethin' Slick c/w Screamin' (Prestige 45-246)

Kenny Burrell Quintet

Stanley Turrentine (ts -1/5) Kenny Burrell (g) Major Holley Jr. (b -1/8) Bill English (d -1/8) Ray Barretto (cga -1/4,6,7)

Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, January 8, 1963

1. tk.10 Kenny's Sound Blue Note CDP 7 46399-2

2. tk.14 Saturday Night Blues Blue Note BLP 4123

3. tk.16 Wavy Gravy Blue Note 45-1886, BLP 4123

4. tk.23 Chitlins Con Carne Blue Note 45-1885, BLP 4123, BST 89904, BST2 84429

5. tk.28 Mule Blue Note BLP 4123

6. tk.31 Midnight Blue -

7. tk.35 K Twist Blue Note CDP 7 46399-2

8. tk.44 Gee Baby, Ain't I Good to You Blue Note BLP 4123

9. tk.49 Soul Lament -

* Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue (Blue Note BLP 4123, CDP 7 46399-2)

* Various Artists - Blue Note's Three Decades of Jazz 1959-1969 (Blue Note BST 89904)

= Various Artists - Decades of Jazz, Vol. 3 (Blue Note BN-LA 160-G2)

* Various Artists - The Best of Blue Note, Vol. 1 (Blue Note BST2 84429)

* Kenny Burrell - Wavy Gravy, Pt. 1&2 (Blue Note 45-1886)

* Kenny Burrell - Chitlins Con Carne, Pt. 1&2 (Blue Note 45-1885)

Edited by Peter A

Are we certain this is correct? I thought that Prestige booked certain days of the week at Rudy's and BN booked other days.

Maybe that's why BN gave a different date for the RVG. "That can't be true, there was a Prestige session

over at Rudy's on the same day. I randomly suggest going with an April 21, 1967 date instead!". ;)

Edited by Kyo

Maybe that's why BN gave a different title for the RVG. "That can't be true, there was a Prestige session

over at Rudy's on the same day. I randomly suggest going with an April 21, 1967 date instead!". ;)

April 21, 1967:

McCoy Tyner Quartet

Joe Henderson (ts) McCoy Tyner (p) Ron Carter (b) Elvin Jones (d)

Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, April 21, 1967

1873 tk.1 Contemplation Blue Note BLP 4264

1874 tk.6 Passion Dance -

1875 tk.7 Blues on the Corner -

1876 tk.12 Four by Five -

1877 tk.18 Search for Peace -

* McCoy Tyner - The Real McCoy (Blue Note BLP 4264)

:D

Maybe that's why BN gave a different title for the RVG. "That can't be true, there was a Prestige session

April 21, 1967:

McCoy Tyner Quartet

Joe Henderson (ts) McCoy Tyner (p) Ron Carter (b) Elvin Jones (d)

Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, April 21, 1967

1873 tk.1 Contemplation Blue Note BLP 4264

1874 tk.6 Passion Dance -

1875 tk.7 Blues on the Corner -

1876 tk.12 Four by Five -

1877 tk.18 Search for Peace -

* McCoy Tyner - The Real McCoy (Blue Note BLP 4264)

:D

Now we know what they used as the template for the Midnight Blue booklet and tray insert. :D

Here's a monkey wrench in your theory: the dates in the BN discography are not always correct.

Remember that article in Down Beat where they were asking Ron Carter about an Andrew Hill session (one of the ones in the select) and how he was also in the studio that day for another session and that he had had to rush from one studio to another? Carter said it didn't happen and Cuscuna went back and changed the Andrew Hill date by a few days. This was discussed in another thread - don't have time to search right now.

My point is, the McDuff and Burrell session most likely did not both take place on 1/8/63.

'Now we know what they used as the template for the Midnight Blue booklet and tray insert'.

I'm surprised McCoy didn't get composer credit for all tracks on Midnight Blue :)

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand