Freddie Roach

Soul Stream

Was listening to "Good Move" last night for the first time in a while. I used to really love Freddie, and listened to him a lot. However, haven't had a good listen lately. Forgotten how much I enjoy his playing and concept. He's has such a familiar, yet unique style.

I the shadow of JOS, Larry Young, Patton, Patterson, ect., it's easy to forget about Roach. I'm not as crazy about his Prestige sides, but I love ALL his Blue Notes (Yes, even "All That's Good" w/voices...matter of fact it's a favorite!)

I mentioned Freddie Roach to John Patton once. His eyes really lit up, "Oh man, I LOVED Freddie!" he said. :D

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not like "Good Move" and sold the cd somewhere.

There was one track on it I liked: think it was the third or fourth one; can't remember anymore.

Haven't dared to try another cd by him since.

Obviously, I missed something, especially with that ringing endorsement by Big John.

"Good Move" has a few nice Roach originals on it. "When Malindy Sings" may have been the one you speak of. Also, "Movin' Up" (or something to that effect) is also a nice one on there.

Personally, "Mo Greens Please" is my favorite Roach. But "Good Move" is way up there. :D

Freddie Roach wrote some of the best liner notes I've ever read.

On an instrument that lends itself to "obviousness", Roach was the kind of player who played stealthily - the closer you listen, the more you hear. Definitely more there than meets the ear first (or even second) time around.

Yeah, Freddie Roach!

Freddie Roach wrote some of the best liner notes I've ever read.

On an instrument that lends itself to "obviousness", Roach was the kind of player who played stealthily - the closer you listen, the more you hear. Definitely more there than meets the ear first (or even second) time around.

Yeah, Freddie Roach!

Yeah, Deeg those notes on Brown Sugar. Makes you feel that you're there at RVG's on a rainy night....

Also...this thread caused me to dig out "Down To Earth." A longtime favorite, but unlistened to in a while. It made me realize what a MONSTER player Roach is. This is a more bare bones session than his others. He and Burrell are a nice match. Some of Freddie's solos are his best on record. He really moves nicely on the ins and outs of the blues and more here.... :tup

Another thought...mentioned Roach to George Braith before as well. He played with Roach quite a bit and is from the Bronx as well. I'll ask George again about Freddie. I'll be sure to post anything interesting on Sir Roach.

Edited by Soul Stream

How come no one's mentioned this "gem"?

e38766la3g8.jpg

:D

I bought the TOCJ of this off someone on the BNBB. I think I've listened to it twice. The vocals are a bit irritating. The only other Roach I've heard is "Good Move." Pretty good album. I'll have to pull it out again.

I love ALL his Blue Notes (Yes, even "All That's Good" w/voices...matter of fact it's a favorite!)

:D

Ditto!

For my money, the most successful of the BN "w/voices" albums. Simply gorgeous playing by Conrad Lester. and my favorite Roach liner notes, bar none. Very "read between the lines"-ish Black Pride.

Blues For 007, baby!

Edited by JSngry

His output - 5 LP's - would be the exact proper size for a Mosaic Select. Would there

be enough buyers to justify?

Not too crazy about All That's Good... to me it's more like All That's Weird... but Brown Sugar and Down To Earth should see the light of day in an easily available format for the US!

Vibes said,

The vocals are a bit irritating.

Vibes, when I first heard this record, I had the same reaction. Not nearly as strong in "dislike" as "A New Perspective," but a similar "why can't they at least try to sing words?" I can appreciate the vocal skills, but it just wasn't my thing.

BUT!

Whereas "Perspective" has not grown on me too much (other than the great cover), I've really grown to enjoy "All That's Good"--probably because it contains some solid grooves and isn't quite as "heavy" as "Perspective." Maybe give it a couple more spins--try to get beyond the vocals?

WHOA...I meant no disrespect to Sir John, I love his work, but look at all the Patton titles that have been in print domestically in the US compared to Freddie Roach's. Good Move is about it...at last afaik. We need more! I know you won't disagree with me there! :D

The Blue Note albums seem to have been carefully thought out productions. Roach wrote

the liner notes to three of the five albums (Nat Hentoff did the other two). Two of the

album covers were not shot by Francis Wolff which was very rare at the time.

I love the tenor saxophonists he used (Hank Mobley and Joe Henderson of course

but wish Percy France and Conrad Lester had appeared on more of these dates).

'Mo' Greens Please' was my introduction to Freddie Roach. I may have preferred

Jimmy Smith and Larry Young but Roach always came out with the right stuff.

Somehow had missed on his Prestige albums but it happens that last week I found

a copy of an English Ace CD which has both Freddie Roach Prestige albums 'Soul Book

and 'Mocha Mention'. Very nice, swinging dates.

I still have the original LP Good Move I remember buying for the daunting 'Ain't necessarily so'...Otherwise not familiar with the rest of Freddie's production ...Any comments about Mo Greens please'...?

Mo Greens is my favorite. His version of "I Know" may be the best thing he ever cut imho. Googa Mooga is right up there too...matter of fact, ALL the tracks are great on "Mo Greens". I can't recommend this one more highly.

"Two Different Worlds" is a world unto itself, perhaps the epitome of all that was organ-room jazz. Knocks you out, makes you dance, makes you holler, makes you head for the bar as soon as the last note's over and the band takes a break, full of the spunk to hit on that lady who you've been eyeing (and vice versa). All in under 4 minutes.

Yeah, Freddie Roach UNDERSTOOD.