Cal Tjader's military service

DRD

This is for those those who would like to know about Cal's military service. He enlisted in the Navy as a corman (medic) in the summer of 1943 before his 18th birthday on July 16th. I still have to pinpoint the exact date but I believe it was only two or three weeks before his birthday. His mother had to sign for him since he was technically still a minor. He served in the Philippines fighting the Japanese until the Pacific war was nearly over.

I have a letter Cal sent to home dated July 6, 1945 from the Oakland, Calif. Naval base but I know he was stationed in Guam for awhile as well. When I get exact dates for his initial enlistment and Guam stay, I will let everyone know. -Duncan Reid

I spoke with Cal's brother Rick about the military service. As for his enlistment date, it was sometime after Cal graduated from highschool. Late June or early July of 1943 is as close as I am able to pinpoint the date. Later on, Cal was sent to Guam as the Pacific war was ending in the summer of 1945. He was then transferred back to Oakland early in 1946. He spent two weeks in Oakland before being sent home to San Mateo. The reason Cal's July 1945 letter says Oakland is that was where letters were sent for overseas Northern California personnel. So Cal listed that as his return postal address.

Edited by Tjader Biographer