Board Updates

Jim Alfredson

Hello everyone.

I have updated the board software to version 1.2 from 1.1.1. Hopefully this will solve some of the problems we've been experiencing. The new version fixes some security issues, makes things easier for Use3D and I as far as moderating, and adds some new features for you, our members!

I would like to thank everyone for choosing this board and also for your patience as I get it up and running. You'll notice some links at the bottom are gone... the upgrade wiped out all my customizations. I had to re-create the skin (ie, the colors) from scratch. I haven't done any graphics yet (like the "reply" button, etc). You'll notice they don't exactly match the color scheme yet. I will update those things soon.

Right now it's time for me to hit the hay. My insanely slow internet connection made this whole ordeal much much much more painful than it should've been. I wanted to stab my temples with a hot knife a couple of times (especially after getting disconnected for the 18th time) due to my whoppin' 14.4 connection speed.

Anyway, hope you all enjoy the new features. Explore around. Things will only get better. Again, thank you for your patience.

----Jim Alfredson & The Moderating Team

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE: I just tried the Private Messaging system and got the same error we had before. <sigh> We'll keep tracking this down. For now, please know that any Private Message you send does actually go through, but for some reason the software is having problems sending the email that tells your recipient that he/she has a new message. Again, the actual private message DOES go through.

Any other problems, please let me know.

Jim, everything seems to run fine, except this error message that appeared when posting a previous message:

Mail Error!

Could not send the email

Failed at 'mail' command

I have not activated the "Enable email notification of replies? ", not for the message I just posted and not by default. Could this be a problem with an option in the admin panel? I have never seen this before.

Thanks!

Edited by Claude

And a request: is it possible for you to set a certain time limit during which it is possible to edit a message without the line "This post has been edited by xxx on xxxxx" appearing?

A lot of message boards have a 5 minute time limit for this, so that people can correct their spelling errors without the embarrassing edit line appearing. This line should however be there when the message is edited later. It is completely missing on the AAJ board.

I think I have the 'mail error' worked out. I've sent two PMs that have been successful. My theory is that my server guy changed something dealing with PHP (I don't really understand it). All I know is that I switched the email system over to STMP and things seem to be working now.

Concerning a time limit on edits, I'll look into that. But not now! :) I'm going to bed. It's 6am. My wife just got up for work and she's not happy with me! :)

I think I have the 'mail error' worked out. I've sent two PMs that have been successful. My theory is that my server guy changed something dealing with PHP (I don't really understand it). All I know is that I switched the email system over to STMP and things seem to be working now.

Concerning a time limit on edits, I'll look into that. But not now! :) I'm going to bed. It's 6am. My wife just got up for work and she's not happy with me! :)

Yes, it is working now! :tup There is going to be a mad member I PMed oh, I don't know, 7-8 times, thinking they had not gone thru! perhaps your wife and he can have a bitch session together!

Guest Chaney

Thanks Jim! Your efforts are appreciated.

I too would like a bit of time to clean up my spelling errors before being branded as an Editor. Get an hour's sleep and get on that one, would you?

:)

I look forward to being able to de-peach. I also wish berigan would not find it necessary to scream at the bottom of each post--in fact, although berigan seems to be the sole abuser, I would not at all mind if that feature was eliminated.

Apropos edits, that line is annoying--however, it was far worse on the late, not-so-lamented BN board, where it added a line for each entry. And please don't have the board add a "credit" line for image posts!

Edited by Christiern

Well, I gots PFunkJazz waiting in the wings, all ready to join in. :bwallace:

But via an 'AAJ' PM he just said to me....

PFunkJazz wrote on 08-20-2003 09:00 AM:

Alright, looks cool. I'm registered - but everytime I try to 'add reply' it tells me an error has occurred and I'm not authorized.

Don't know if this error is related to the recent board upgrade or not. Thought I'd post it here, and see if Use3D or b3-er could take a look at it. He's probably registered under the same name here - "PFunkJazz".

Thanks in advance for looking into it!! :rhappy:

I forget - does this site require e-mail verification response surf bonanza before postage can occur? Maybe the Funker ain't remailed yet?

Keep tweaking away, Jim. Growing pains are inevitable, and since most of us were here from Day One, hopefully we can all hang tough during the various evolutionisms. Someday we can look back with pride and say, "We built this city on Rock and Roll".

And then, hopefully, somebody will shoot us.

Dead.

Twice.

I also wish berigan would not find it necessary to scream at the bottom of each post--in fact, although berigan seems to be the sole abuser, I would not at all mind if that feature was eliminated.

You can turn off signatures in your personal settings, meaning that "Christiern" won't see anyone's signatures if you turn this feature off.

Go into your personal settings, and under "options" click on "board settings". Then look for this question, and set it to "no" in the appropriate drop-down list: Do you wish to view members signatures when reading topics? POOF!!! - no more signatures... :g

=====

Also looking forward to when things aren't all peachy, though I realize there are probably other priorities (like getting PFunkJazz in here).

Keep up the GREAT work guys!!! We luv ya for it!!! :wub::wub::wub:

Thanks Jim. Everything seems to be working pretty well for me, except that I'm back to that multi-pastel look (lavender, light yellow, dusty pink, and the lovely "children's aspirin" orange). If there's any chance we could get a second skin option like you created for 1.1.1, that would be great.

Well, I gots PFunkJazz waiting in the wings, all ready to join in.  :bwallace:

But via an 'AAJ' PM he just said to me....

PFunkJazz wrote on 08-20-2003 09:00 AM:

Alright, looks cool. I'm registered - but everytime I try to 'add reply' it tells me an error has occurred and I'm not authorized.

Don't know if this error is related to the recent board upgrade or not. Thought I'd post it here, and see if Use3D or b3-er could take a look at it. He's probably registered under the same name here - "PFunkJazz".

Thanks in advance for looking into it!! :rhappy:

I gots PFunk's e-mail address now, and I'm about t' send it to b3-er and Use3D, so theys can break down the walls that's keepin' our poor funky friend trapped outside, in the cold and most decidedly unfunky realms of the world.

He don't deserve that!!!! - Don't none of us do. :bwallace:

Please help. The funky-ness of this very board may hang in the balance!!! :w

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Yes, I got PFunk's email address and emailed him. The system is waiting to validate him, which means he hasn't responded to the email it should've sent out after he initially registered. Now, since we've been having mail problems it's quite possible he never received the email.

Concerning skins, yes, I will make one soon. I promise. Maybe this afternoon. I need a break from re-doing the bathroom. :)

Supposedly I might be able to put in the "location" detail under everyone's names like someone was asking about awhile ago. I thought I read you could do this last night... then again I was pretty tired! :)

Keep the suggestions coming.

As far as the software running slower... last night the server was running incredibly slow. I don't know why. That, coupled with my extremely slow internet connection made all this updating excrutiating.

I need to get my cable modem back. :(

By the way, in case anyone didn't notice, I've increased the Private Message storage to 100 messages and you should be able to change your own topic titles. Just go to the Moderation Options drop-down menu (now on the left hand side :blink: ) and choose "Edit This Topic".

It's all for you! :wub:

:tup