Jazz Masters Vintage Collection 1958/1961

Claude

Jazz Masters Vintage Collection 1958/1961

Warner Music Vision - Jazz

vintagecollection.jpg

Here is perhaps the most famous jazz broadcast of all time. Assembled in one all-star studio session, some of the giants of post-war jazz, captured in a smoke-filled room, perform a series of classic set pieces.

1. The Count Basie Orchestra - The Count's Blues

2. Red Allen Octet - Wild Man Blues

3. Red Allen Octet - Rosetta

4. Thelonious Monk Trio - Blue Monk

5. Jimmy Rushing Sings The Blues - I Left My Baby

6. The Count Basie Orchestra - Dickie's Dream

7. Billy Holiday With Nine - Fine And Mellow

8. Jimmy Giuffre Trio - The Train And The River

9. Ahmad Jamal Trio - Darn That Dream

10. Ahmad Jamal Trio - Ahmad's Blues

11. Ben Webster Sextet - Chelsea Bridge

12. Ben Webster Sextet - Duke's Place

13. Miles Davis Quintet - So What

14. Gil Evans Big Band with Miles Davis Quintet - The Duke and Orchestral Sketches No.1 & No.2

http://www.totaldvd.com.au/shopping/index....sp?catadvd=6292

A comment in french:

La collection Jazz Masters s'est attachée, pour ce volume, à retrouver les images d'archives des plus grands jazzmen, entre 1958 et 1961. Les inconditionnels seront heureux de revoir le Count Basie Orchestra, Le Red Allen Octet (avec Pee Wee Russell, Coleman Hawkins) dans une reprise de John Lee Hooker : Wild man blues, Thelonious Monk en trio pour Blue Monk ou Ahmad Jamal, tout jeune, dans deux compositions : Darn that dream et Ahmad's blues.

Mais les grands moments de ce DVD en noir et blanc sont la prestation de Madame Billie Holiday offrant l'une des plus belles versions de son Fine and Mellow ainsi que le grand Miles Davis (accompagné entre autre par John Coltrane) pour So what puis entouré du Gil Evans Big Band et de son quintet (The duke and orchestral sketches N° 1 & N° 2).

Toutes ces images sont accompagnées de petits bouts d'interview (sous titrées en plusieurs langues dont le français) et profitent du son de bonne qualité codé en Dolby Digital.

Vous y retrouverez aussi Ben Webster, Jimmy Giuffre et Jimmy Rushing pour 90 minutes de pure émotion. Un indispensable pour tous les amoureux de jazz.

http://www.zicline.com/an5/semaine29/jazzmasters.htm

The DVD is 90 minutes long and the price is 26 Euro ($28). Has anyone seen it and can comment on the picture and sound quality? I have the Miles videos on a bootleg VHS tape and would like to have it in optimum quality.

• 3 months later...

It looks like the first half tracks 1 - 7 might be from the famous Sound of Jazz TV show.

The complete show is available on DVD but the image quality, obviously from the tape recorded source, is way below par.

the_sound_of_jazz.jpg

If this new DVD has better visual and audio characteristics, it may be worth trying

Edited by P.D.

Disconforme also have issued Sound of Jazz on DVD together with Ahmad Jamal and Ben Webster.

It seems to be a recent reissue.

My memory of the excerpts I have seen on Swedish TV is that the quality was somewhat grainy, but that the music, of course, made up for it. Given the quaiity of the original source, I wouldn't expect too much from any reissue. However, some could easily be quite bad.

As the Disconforme reissue sits waiting on a shelf in my favorite CD-shop; does anyone know how it compares in quality to the other reissues of Sound of Jazz?

Edited by andersf

Here is some more info on this DVD, and a much better price than Amazon.fr

Vol. 1 1958-1959 A package of the most famous jazz broadcast of all time. An all-star studio session with some of the giants of post-war jazz captured together performing a series of classic set pieces. Featuring: Henry Red Allen, Count Basie, Thelonious Monk, Jimmy Giuffre, Jimmy Rushing and a heart stopping sequence from Billie Holiday with Lester Young as one of her accompanists.

Vol. 2 1960-1961 Features more priceless jazz material from vintage American television, with performances from Ahmad Jamal and Buck Clayton, plus the exciting 'Sound of Miles Davis' broadcast in its entirety - with Miles and the incomparable John Coltrane in one of his few surviving TV appearances. Plus, Miles Davis in front of a big band under the casual direction of Gil Evans, his long-time associate. The film captures the magic and spontaneity of Miles Davis - the atmosphere of the occasion is still electrifying today.

Play.com link

The DVD of The Sound of Jazz available in the US is missing the Monk and is not particularly good quality. I have a Lazer Disc (remember them?) I got in Japan of "The Sound of Miels Davis"from which I make video tapes. It's great. I think I could make DVD's by using my Mac. BTW Both "Sound of..." tv shows were produced by Robert Herridge for CBS. I tried to get them released legally on DVD but ran into AFM problems.

Edited by medjuck

I received the DVD from Play.com today.

It is a great historic document. I thought it to be a compilation of live performances from various sources (I believed "Blue Monk" and "The Train and the River" to be taken from the Nowport '58 documentary "Jazz on a Summer's Day") , but these are all perfectly captured studio sessions produced for a coherent series of TV shows (The Sound of Jazz). There is even an additional title not listed on the cover , a blues where Jimmy Giuffre guests with Pee Wee Russell and members of the Count Basie Orchestra. It is at the end of the "Train and the River" track.

The Count Basie session has an all star line up with Coleman Hawkins, Ben Webster, Roy Eldridge and Gerry Mulligan. Obviously it has a loose jam session character, but it's amazing to see those giants playing together and fully aware of the special occasion. "Fine and mellow" by Billie Holiday (beautiful close up camera shots) adds Lester Young and Rex Stewart. The Thelonious Monk trio track presents the pianist almost like a circus attraction, the camera showing his shuffling feet under the piano and the amused looks of Count Basie and Henry Red Allen (?) watching him play.

The hightlight of the DVD is the 30 minute session with the Miles Davis Quintet and the Gil Evans Orchestra. I had this on a pirate italian VIDJAZZ VHS tape before, but it omitted the spoken introduction by Robert Herridge and the introductory theme by Miles Davis. I had expected the DVD to have a much better image quality than the VHS which seems to suffer from NTSC-PAL conversion and multiple generation copying.

But all in all the image quality of the DVD is not so great. I don't know what the technical standard in studio tape recording (as opposed to live broadcasting) was, but the image quality is comparable to much older cinema movies. It is acceptable though, given the historical importance of these sessions. A tue letdown is the variable sound quality throughout the DVD. Some tracks (Giuffre, Jamal, Webster) have a high level of noise and sound like AM radio, making Giuffre's spoken comments hard to understand (turn on the subtitles) and blurring Jamal's piano lines, while other tracks (Billie Holiday, Miles Davis, Count Basie) sound good.

This multi-region DVD is 91 minutes long, divided into two sessions (Volume one and two, see my post above), with direct access to the individual tracks. The booklet contains the personnel list for every track, but not the recording dates. Why must music DVDs always have such poor and spare liner notes, while the information included with CD reissues gets more complete? This DVD is more than just entertainment.

There is a "Vintage Stan Getz" DVD available in the same series.

Edited by Claude

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...