Duke Ellington: 1936-40 Small Group Sessions

Guest Bixieland

Guest Bixieland

Admittedly, I don't know much about its contents. I love the samples, the era, and of course the Duke. So..is this essential? I'm thinking it just might be....

Today must be a banner day for starting repeater threads. Especially that clown who started yet another "Mosaic Select Running Low" thread. Probably a Styx fan or something. ;):g

There must be something in the format of boards like this that brings out the obsessive-compulsive nature of people who simply can't live in a world where, God Forbid!, a question might be asked a second time.

We must have order!

You WILL use the Search function to find any possible previously existing thread that addresses any thought or question you might have!

We cannot have duplicate threads, EVER!

If this board were the only one where this sort of Order! and Discipline! were demanded of its posting members, that would be one thing. However, I see this behavior repeated in board after board in all manner of subjects.

Get it. Listen to the bassplayers. Then listen to the trumpeters. Then listen to the pianists. Then listen to the saxophonists. Then listen to the guitarists. Then listen to the trombonists.

You may or may not want to listen to the vocalists.

After all that, come on back and let's talk about it! :D

Actually I struggle with the search function myself. These days if you enter more than one term it searches on both independently. It won't "search on a phrase" and it won't accept Boolean AND Algebra.

That's enough about me. How was it for you?

Maybe searching two terms or more will work if you add asterisks, like for instance *free jazz*. I did a search that way recently and it worked.

Today must be a banner day for starting repeater threads. Especially that clown who started yet another "Mosaic Select Running Low" thread. Probably a Styx fan or something. ;):g

There must be something in the format of boards like this that brings out the obsessive-compulsive nature of people who simply can't live in a world where, God Forbid!, a question might be asked a second time.

We must have order!

You WILL use the Search function to find any possible previously existing thread that addresses any thought or question you might have!

We cannot have duplicate threads, EVER!

If this board were the only one where this sort of Order! and Discipline! were demanded of its posting members, that would be one thing. However, I see this behavior repeated in board after board in all manner of subjects.

Right! Stop that! This is SILLY! Carry on, Sergeant Major! :g

(BTW, you do know who started that "other" thread, right?)

Guest Bixieland

Excellent. I don't get the chance to pull the trigger on too many Mosaics...nor am I a music scholar---I know what I know by pulling the trigger on Mosaics! (and on CDs and box sets in general...oh, and also from snappy boards like this with helpful posters like youselves.)

Guest Bixieland

Okay one more question about this Duke box...if you had to choose one, which would you get...the Gillespie, or the Duke set.

I'm at a loss there. Originally I was ready to get the Duke set...now I don't know...the Gillespie sounds exciting. Damn.

Edited by Bixieland

You probably won't be able to get the Duke material with such sound and documentation (until the thieves get to work - minus the great documentation) but most/all of the Dizzy stuff should show up again. The choice is yours..

The Ellington sides are of more importance historically, but at this stage of your listening "career" the Diz might be more fun.