How is the New Mosaic single Newport 1958 ?

I like it. Excellent sound. If you liked the material on the live session that is on studio here, and are someone who can have multiple versions of the same thing and not squeam, this is likely to please.

It does duplicate some live tracks, but would it have been better for them to have left it a shorter cd? Well maybe, but . . . .

Anyway, I would be hardpressed to agree with the liner notes that all the studio tracks are "better" than the live performance ones they replaced on the original lp; I really find this sort of thing falls more in the "different than" category than "better." I felt the same way about the live and studio versions of Newport '56. I'm glad to have both.

Thanks. I heard a copy at a friend's in Ohio years ago that was stereo. . . it might have been. . .fake?

They might have panned the applause with the band in the center to give the stereo effect. I will see. If it was only recorded in mono, maybe they used a 2 track machine and dubbed the "noise" into the second track and played with it later. 3 or 4 track machines weren't all that common in 1958. Columbia was a bit behind the curve created by the guys at RCA.

This business of destroying original stereo or 3 track masters to create mono issues seems to have happened often. There's an RCA

George Russel cd where the originally released tracks are in mono but the alternate "bonus" tracks are in stereo. And say what you like about Phil Schaap (and I've said my share of nasty things about him) I'm forever grateful that he found a way to release a stereo version of Miles Ahead.

I like it. Excellent sound. If you liked the material on the live session that is on studio here, and are someone who can have multiple versions of the same thing and not squeam, this is likely to please.

I'm someone who can have multiple versions of the same thing and wish for more.

I think the point about the three track tapes is that they had portions edited out and disposed of where applause and announcements had been added on. Michael Cuscuna and Mark Wilder apparently chose the mono tape as it was complete and they could then recreate the complete studio session without pieces removed.

Chuck, Swining: I found my lp this morning. It's STEREO. I found that my preamp that has the phono circuit and that I use with my turntable had the mono button on. . . I listened to it in mono last time, but it's a stereo copy. Not the widest stereo of the time, but stereo. . . .Sounds like "true stereo" from the cut up three track masters no doubt.