Duke Ellington

papsrus

I'm just now getting into Ellington in a big way. I'd listened to some of his later-period discs and enjoyed them in the past, but not with any great enthusiasm. Such Sweet Thunder and Far East Suite I considered good, not great, albums.

Now I'm suddenly hearing these in a whole new way, and I'm looking back into his catalog and practically salivating while pondering where to go next. I've ordered a Blanton-Webster band box set to get me started, and have Vol. 1 of Duke's Men: The Small Groups, also Blues in Orbit and a smattering of other small group stuff.

I don't want to overstate things too much, but listening to Such Sweet Thunder and Far East Suite, I'm starting to hear these as almost revolutionary. The detail in the music is vast and the musicianship is superb throughout, Hodges and Gonsalves in particular, but others will emerge too I'm sure as I listen more and more. And the arrangements, of course, are beautiful, exciting, funny. And that's just it -- there's so much to hear in this music.

And so ... I'll be interested to read others thoughts on Ellington, his sidemen, his early period, big band, later period, small group. There's a lot there.

:tup

I would get a collection of his stuff from the early 40s, just when Strayhorn hooked up with him. I have most of this on vinyl, but I think there are some good CD comps out there, referred to as the Blanton/Webster band if I'm not mistaken.

From the hi-fi era, get "Masterpieces" and "Ellington Uptown," both of which have longer arrangements of his classic stuff (to take advantage of the LP medium).

I would get a collection of his stuff from the early 40s, just when Strayhorn hooked up with him. I have most of this on vinyl, but I think there are some good CD comps out there, referred to as the Blanton/Webster band if I'm not mistaken.

From the hi-fi era, get "Masterpieces" and "Ellington Uptown," both of which have longer arrangements of his classic stuff (to take advantage of the LP medium).

Thanks. I have the highly regarded "Never No Lament: Blanton-Webster Band" on order -- a 3 CD set which covers 39-42 I believe. Pretty excited about that one. I will look for "Masterpieces" and "Uptown" as well. The catalog is so vast, it's an interesting challenge to begin to acquire Ellington's essential recordings from various periods.

James, you have an exciting road ahead of you! I keep returning to the world of Ellington/Strayhorn music because it contains all human experience in musical mode: excitement, tranquility, love, hate, lust. . . .All the colors and textures of life.

You can almost NOT go wrong. I've discovered over time that all periods are worth examining. I used to love the earliest most, and the latest least, but I've learned to just love it all.

One recommendation I would make: look for the Decca three cd collection "Early Ellington." It sort of went out of print but still can be found. Excellent music, sound and notes.

Another recommendation: seek out the Pablo and Riverside OJC cds, they also are sort of out of print but still findable now and not a clunker among them.

Another recommendation: seek out the Pablo and Riverside OJC cds, they also are sort of out of print but still findable now and not a clunker among them.

A hearty second to all the recommendations thus far... and in particular, track down this one:

The Ellington Suites (Fantasy/Pablo)

10603878_155_155.jpeg

The Queen's Suite reminds me of the Far East Suite in a lot of ways -- truly beautiful stuff.

P.S. this one is available at EMusic...

James, you have an exciting road ahead of you! I keep returning to the world of Ellington/Strayhorn music because it contains all human experience in musical mode: excitement, tranquility, love, hate, lust. . . .All the colors and textures of life.

You can almost NOT go wrong. I've discovered over time that all periods are worth examining. I used to love the earliest most, and the latest least, but I've learned to just love it all.

One recommendation I would make: look for the Decca three cd collection "Early Ellington." It sort of went out of print but still can be found. Excellent music, sound and notes.

Thanks Lon. Looking over the Decca collection now. A little pricey. May have to save my pennies for a month or two on that one. Sounds really nice.

Well, I guess it would be pricey . . . but it's worth looking for at a good price and you never know.

There is a Definitive Music edition from Spain with nearly the same material, but minimal notes, which is not a good thing in this instance.

The music is great!