YOUR desert island Charlie Parker disc / side / related-sessions

Rooster_Ties

What's YOUR desert island Charlie Parker disc/side/session (or closely related sessions, of a very limited number) -- ???

Mine's the recently discovered Uptown "Town Hall" date, and I suspect that's true of a number of us here -- so, in the interest of getting a little diversity of opinion, please let's keep that one OUT of the running.

So what ELSE (other than the "Town Hall" date on Uptown) would be on YOUR really short 'desert island' list of Parker recordings??

(One, or two discs at most, per person.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One or two DISCS? By original issue format, or what? :D :D That wouldn't leave many tracks .... ;)

No, seriously, mine would still be the DIAL masters (select your pressing and format; even one single CD can hold a lot of music ...). Condensed statements of the times.

Runner up would be the SAVOY masters (as on that Savoy twofer reissued in the late 70s) - for the very same reasons, obviously.

The Town Hall recording is great, indeed, although I am surprised that you think it would be a consensus choice.

My ultimate choice is probably these three sessions, all from late 1947: two on Dial and one on Savoy. A strong runner up would be the live Bird-Diz recording from Carnegie Hall from the same year. If I could only have a little Bird, that would be it.

Charlie Parker (as); Miles Davis (tpt); Irving "Duke" Jordan (p); Tommy Potter (b); Max Roach (d)

10/28/47

1 Dexterity (C. Parker) (take 1) 2:55

2 Dexterity (C. Parker) (take 2 (master)) 2:58

3 Bongo Bop (C. Parker) (take 1 (master)) 2:43

4 Bongo Bop (C. Parker) (take 2) 2:42

5 Dewey Square (C. Parker) (take 1) [Prezology] 3:27

6 Dewey Square (C. Parker) (take 2) 3:01

7 Dewey Square (C. Parker) (take 3 (master)) 3:07

8 The Hymn (C. Parker) (take 1 (master)) 2:30

9 The Hymn (C. Parker) (take 2) [superman] 2:26

10 Bird of Paradise (C. Parker) (take 1) [All the Things You Are] 3:07

11 Bird of Paradise (C. Parker) (take 2) [All the Things You Are] 3:09

12 Bird of Paradise (C. Parker) (take 3 (master)) [All the Things You Are] 3:06

13 Embraceable You (G. Gershwin-I. Gershwin) (take 1) 3:46

14 Embraceable You (G. Gershwin-I. Gershwin) (take 2 (master)) 3:22

11/4/74

1)Bird Feathers (C. Parker) (take 3 (master)) 2:50

2 Klact-oveereds-tene (C. Parker) (take 1 (master)) 3:04

3 Klact-oveereds-tene (C. Parker) (take 2) 3:04

4 Scrapple from the Apple (C. Parker) (take 2) 2:38

5 Scrapple from the Apple (C. Parker) (take 3 (master)) 2:57

6 My Old Flame (A. Johnston-S. Coslow) (take 1 (master)) 3:13

7 Out of Nowhere (E. Heyman-J.W. Green) (take 1) 4:02

8 Out of Nowhere (E. Heyman-J.W. Green) (take 2) 3:49

9 Out of Nowhere (E. Heyman-J.W. Green) (take 3) 3:04

10 Don't Blame Me (D. Fields-J. McHugh) (take 1) 2:46

12/21/47

1 Another Hair-Do (C. Parker) (take 1 (inc)) 0:14

2 Another Hair-Do (C. Parker) (take 2 (inc)) 0:44

3 Another Hair-Do (C. Parker) (take 3 (inc)) 1:04

4 Another Hair-Do (C. Parker) (take 4 (master)) 2:37

5 Bluebird (C. Parker) (take 1) 2:53

6 Bluebird (C. Parker) (take 2) 0:03

7 Bluebird (C. Parker) (take 3 (master)) 2:49

8 Klaunstance (C. Parker) [The Way You Look Tonight] 2:44

9 Bird Gets the Worm (C. Parker) (take 1) [Lover Come Back to Me] 3:00

10 Bird Gets the Worm (C. Parker) (take 2 (inc)) [Lover Come Back to Me] 0:09

11 Bird Gets the Worm (C. Parker) (take 3 (master)) [Lover Come Back to Me] 2:34

Edited by John L

The Town Hall recording is great, indeed, although I am surprised that you think it would be a consensus choice.

My ultimate choice is probably these three sessions, all from late 1947: two on Dial and one on Savoy. A strong runner up would be the live Bird-Diz recording from Carnegie Hall from the same year. If I could only have a little Bird, that would be it.

Charlie Parker (as); Miles Davis (tpt); Irving "Duke" Jordan (p); Tommy Potter (b); Max Roach (d)

10/28/47

1 Dexterity (C. Parker) (take 1) 2:55

2 Dexterity (C. Parker) (take 2 (master)) 2:58

3 Bongo Bop (C. Parker) (take 1 (master)) 2:43

4 Bongo Bop (C. Parker) (take 2) 2:42

5 Dewey Square (C. Parker) (take 1) [Prezology] 3:27

6 Dewey Square (C. Parker) (take 2) 3:01

7 Dewey Square (C. Parker) (take 3 (master)) 3:07

8 The Hymn (C. Parker) (take 1 (master)) 2:30

9 The Hymn (C. Parker) (take 2) [superman] 2:26

10 Bird of Paradise (C. Parker) (take 1) [All the Things You Are] 3:07

11 Bird of Paradise (C. Parker) (take 2) [All the Things You Are] 3:09

12 Bird of Paradise (C. Parker) (take 3 (master)) [All the Things You Are] 3:06

13 Embraceable You (G. Gershwin-I. Gershwin) (take 1) 3:46

14 Embraceable You (G. Gershwin-I. Gershwin) (take 2 (master)) 3:22

11/4/74

1)Bird Feathers (C. Parker) (take 3 (master)) 2:50

2 Klact-oveereds-tene (C. Parker) (take 1 (master)) 3:04

3 Klact-oveereds-tene (C. Parker) (take 2) 3:04

4 Scrapple from the Apple (C. Parker) (take 2) 2:38

5 Scrapple from the Apple (C. Parker) (take 3 (master)) 2:57

6 My Old Flame (A. Johnston-S. Coslow) (take 1 (master)) 3:13

7 Out of Nowhere (E. Heyman-J.W. Green) (take 1) 4:02

8 Out of Nowhere (E. Heyman-J.W. Green) (take 2) 3:49

9 Out of Nowhere (E. Heyman-J.W. Green) (take 3) 3:04

10 Don't Blame Me (D. Fields-J. McHugh) (take 1) 2:46

12/21/47

1 Another Hair-Do (C. Parker) (take 1 (inc)) 0:14

2 Another Hair-Do (C. Parker) (take 2 (inc)) 0:44

3 Another Hair-Do (C. Parker) (take 3 (inc)) 1:04

4 Another Hair-Do (C. Parker) (take 4 (master)) 2:37

5 Bluebird (C. Parker) (take 1) 2:53

6 Bluebird (C. Parker) (take 2) 0:03

7 Bluebird (C. Parker) (take 3 (master)) 2:49

8 Klaunstance (C. Parker) [The Way You Look Tonight] 2:44

9 Bird Gets the Worm (C. Parker) (take 1) [Lover Come Back to Me] 3:00

10 Bird Gets the Worm (C. Parker) (take 2 (inc)) [Lover Come Back to Me] 0:09

11 Bird Gets the Worm (C. Parker) (take 3 (master)) [Lover Come Back to Me] 2:34

I hear you, John! These were the first sessions that came to mind! The Carnegie Hall concert while certainly great wouldn't have come to mind I guess if it hadn't been in the title of this thread.

Runners up:

The KoKo session, while somewhat chaotic - some severely great Bird on there! (Nov 26, 1945)

Also the two Dial sessions with tenorists added (Mar 28, 1946 w/Lucky T & Feb 26, 1947 w/Wardell Gray, both with Dodo Marmarosa)

The two Dizzy Gillespie Guild sessions (Feb 28 & May 11, 1945)

And I think the Savoy session w/Donna Lee (May 8, 1947) ain't too shabby, either (but it's been a while that I played that one).

Honorable mention then, for "Repetition" w/Neal Hefti from "The Jazz Scene"!

Some great music mentioned here ...

Been listening to the Mosaic Dean Benedetti Bird CDs recently. Standouts for me at the moment are *Sweet Geogia Brown*, No. 19 on disc 1 - that pure, inventive, swinging/ driving *Lady be Good* feeling... and *All the Things You Are*, no. 13 on disc 5, where Bird's reinventions after Kenny Hagood's vocal are simply unbelievable ...

Not to forget *Lester leaps In* and *My Little Suede Shoes* from the Rockland Palace session ...

Q

I still need that Benedetti... the Rockland I have (2CD set) but I'm not yet really familiar with it... I keep starting to listen to Bird in chronological order (the great six CDs of "Young Bird" on Masters of Jazz, some of the Jay McShann material, then the early stuff w/Dizzy, the Savoy/Dial box...) and then I somehow don't have the time to continue into the 50s... next time I'm in for some Bird, I'll start straight with the Verve box and the live material from 50/51.

Very pleased to see this thread, as Bird has always been the ultimate master for me. I have both the Savoy and Dial sides on vinyl and, if I had to make a choice, I think it would be the Savoys, as I first learned the language of modern jazz fifty years ago through them. If I had to cut it down to a single three-minute track, it would be "Warming Up a Riff", a rehearsal piece on "Cherokee" changes from the 1945 "Ko-Ko"/"Now's the Time" session.

there's some absolutell nutty stuff that Prestige/OJC has collected from Bird at St, Nick's and some other badly recorded live stuff - I don't know if he was high, or what, but he's constantly breaking notes, heading for the altissimo range and bursting them apart - Dave Schildkraut used to think Bird, like him, was on some kind of spiritual search when he did this, as though looking for God -

there's some absolutell nutty stuff that Prestige/OJC has collected from Bird at St, Nick's and some other badly recorded live stuff - I don't know if he was high, or what, but he's constantly breaking notes, heading for the altissimo range and bursting them apart - Dave Schildkraut used to think Bird, like him, was on some kind of spiritual search when he did this, as though looking for God -

Allen: Given your description, I bet that you have in mind the other OJC release, "Bird on 52nd Street." In fact, there is a lot more where that came from (Onyx mid-48) on the Benedetti box.

Favorite sessions for me would be the Dial sessions with Howard McGhee, Wardell Gray, Dodo Marmarosa, Barney Kessel et al. Favorite track also comes from that session, "Relaxin' at Camarillo,". I can listen to all the takes of this in a row and still want to hear more.

Agree with you. That fragmented melody line in "Camarillo" is great!

Allen: Given your description, I bet that you have in mind the other OJC release, "Bird on 52nd Street." In fact, there is a lot more where that came from (Onyx mid-48) on the Benedetti box.

Is the Debut/OJC material from "Bird on 52nd Street" covered in the Benedetti Mosaic? I have "Bird at St. Nick's" already, but not the other one, and will skip it if it's in the bigger box...

Bird On 52nd Street and Bird At St. Nick's are now available on this recently reissued reissue, you should be able to find it fairly cheaply as even Concord are giving it away. I got it myself and although it says remastered in 2007 by Joe T., I found it very hard to listen to and would think that no amount of remastering could do anything for it. However if you are a total Bird nut you'll probably love it.

41DEee+4l7L._SS500_.jpg

Amazon Info.

Charlie Parker: Charlie Parker