Carla Bley Big Band - Appearing Nightly

GA Russell

Carla Bley and her remarkable Big Band (sic) has a new album out called Appearing Nightly. It was recorded at concerts in Paris July 17 and 18, 2006.

This is my third Carla Bey album. It reminds me somewhat of the first I got called Carla Bley Live! which was also a big band date recorded in concert in August of 1981. In fact, I recognize here a few chords which she used on the song Real Life Hits on that album.

There are 5 songs, four of which were written by her. The set ends with I Hadn't Anyone Till You. The title track (Appearing Nightly at the Black Orchid) is 25 minutes long and is made up of four parts.

The album features Gary Valentine on trombone, Lew Soloff on trumpet, Andy Sheppard on tenor sax and Wolfgang Puschnig on alto sax. Bley is on piano, Karen Mantler is on organ, Steve Swallow is on bass and Billy Drummond is on drums. The orchestra includes nine other musicians whom I am unfamiliar with, all apparently Europeans.

I like this album. The band swings more than the 1981 band did, but not as much as a band famous for swinging does, like, say, Count Basie's.

I think that it is the quality of the musicians that makes the album. Bley's arrangements are interesting, but her melodies not so much. I think the best track is the one standard.

I get three or four big band albums a year, and I am glad that this is one of them. It's both interesting and fun.

• 2 months later...