2008-2009 Hot Stove Thread

tkeith

I brought it up in the MLB 2008 thread, so I'll start it here.

My beloved Sox are toying with the idea of trading Mike Lowell (2 rings, WS MVP, carved from awesome stone) to make room for Mark Teixeira (0 rings, 0 MVP, unproven, higher taxes, not ready to lead... oh, wait... skip the part about the taxes). Don't get me wrong, I love Teixeira, but I don't toss a guy like Lowell aside (particularly when doing so will cost me several million dollars). Also, Teixeira is going to warrant a long-term, BIG money contract, and the Sox just got out from underneath one such albatross. I hope Theo is smarter than this. If they *do* make the move, I hope they'll consider moving Teixeira back to 3B, his natural position, and move Youk back to 1B, his adopted position, at which he is much better.

That's the kick-off, I've got to do some work, now.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And who do you think is going to provide some pop in this lineup going forward? Teixeira hits, hits for power, and gets on base, with more walks than strikeouts last year. He is the ideal addition to the lineup and the only reason they should hesitate is if the bidding gets up to 8 or 10 years. Do you want Teixeira taking aim at the short porch in Yankee stadium? Do you want him gobbling up balls that Giambi waved at, or throw runners out on plays that Giambi heaved the ball into CF?

And on top of that, you want Teixeira to play "his original" position????

When was it his original position? In little league? He has played third base all of FIFTEEN times in his major league career, ALL OF WHICH were in his rookie season. And you think this is his natural position? And that Youk is better at his adopted position?

What the fucking hell are you smoking?

"Don't sign him, keep the old man coming off a bad injury, but if you do, be sure to tell him he'll play 3B for the first time in six years if he signs with Boston."

You don't know what the fuck you're talking about, which is unfortunately par for the course. Apparently Hanley Ramirez is more important than a world championship, which just happened to be won by that "fat fuck" from Texas. And what else did you say about that? "You could have gotten Lowell in a separate trade". Yeah, right. WHO WANTED LOWELL AT THAT POINT? And why would the Sox want Lowell in a separate trade when Youkilis was taking over at 3B and only moved to 1B because Lowell was forced on them to get Beckett, the pitching hero of the last championship?

You are the only person I have ever known who continues to lament that trade, who doesn't rate it as at least even because the Sox won a world championship with Beckett.

Edit to say that in that rookie year, when he played "his natural position", Teixeira made an astounding SEVEN errors in only TWENTY attempts. And in 85 career games at 3B in the minors, his fielding percentage was .917. Yeah, that's his "natural" position.

Or, maybe he's a butcher at 3B which forced a change to 1B where he became an elite defender.

Edited by Dan Gould

Who would take Lowell at this point especially with this recent surgery ? I say sign Teixeira and keep Lowell .

Lowell probably won't play a half season at third so keep him for his bat off the bench , his leadership and the occasional

third base replacement.

Believe me the Sox have $$$$$$$ they are loaded.

What are they gonna do for SS ?

The talk around town that i have heard is do they take a chance on Derek Lowe again or go after Burnett ?

Edited by zen archer

Who would take Lowell at this point especially with this recent surgery ? I say sign Teixeira and keep Lowell .

Lowell probably won't play a half season at third so keep him for his bat off the bench , his leadership and the occasional

third base replacement.

Believe me the Sox have $$$$$$$ they are loaded.

What are they gonna do for SS ?

The talk around town that i have heard is do they take a chance on Derek Lowe again or go after Burnett ?

Lowery is the SS for a long time to come. Its obvious his hitting problems came from playing through a sprain/non-displaced fracture in the wrist of his top hand when batting lefty (he did hit well over .300 as a righty). He's going to pepper the wall with doubles and remind you of Pedroia without the lip. Lugo can go away or sit on the bench as the reserve infielder. Ideally they'll pay 15 million of his remaining 18 and get rid of him, as I am sure Pawtucket needs a new bag of balls. Lowell doesn't have the value he had after his 2007 season but if he shows he is healthy in spring training/April, he would still have interest.

They should never go after Burnett. He is soft, plays hard only when a new contract is on the line, and is perpetually hurt or inconsistent. He's a horrid risk. If Lowe came back on a two year deal, I might consider it, but he's going to get a four year offer from the Mets and has no reason to come here. And don't forget, he wasn't all that great the last time in the A.L., he just came up huge in the post-season.

If they go for a pitcher, it should be Sabathia, if only to ensure the Yankees give him more money and years than they would otherwise. And if they can get him, all the better, even if his girth scares me.

And who do you think is going to provide some pop in this lineup going forward? Teixeira hits, hits for power, and gets on base, with more walks than strikeouts last year. He is the ideal addition to the lineup and the only reason they should hesitate is if the bidding gets up to 8 or 10 years. Do you want Teixeira taking aim at the short porch in Yankee stadium? Do you want him gobbling up balls that Giambi waved at, or throw runners out on plays that Giambi heaved the ball into CF?

Ah yes... overpay to keep him from the Skanks... that's always worked well. :rolleyes:

And on top of that, you want Teixeira to play "his original" position????

When was it his original position? In little league? He has played third base all of FIFTEEN times in his major league career, ALL OF WHICH were in his rookie season. And you think this is his natural position? And that Youk is better at his adopted position?

What the fucking hell are you smoking?

Well, I was fresh out of asshole powder, seems the bulk of it was shipped to Florida. As it happens, ye who can't be questioned, Teixeira came through the minors as a [very good] 3B, but that position was occupied in Texas by Hank Blalock. Either could have been moved, but since Blalock had played the position at the MLB level Texas opted to move Teixeira. Youkilis, though originally a 3B, is better at 1B. It's at least worth considering trying Teixeira out at 3B.

"Don't sign him, keep the old man coming off a bad injury, but if you do, be sure to tell him he'll play 3B for the first time in six years if he signs with Boston."

You don't know what the fuck you're talking about, which is unfortunately par for the course. Apparently Hanley Ramirez is more important than a world championship, which just happened to be won by that "fat fuck" from Texas. And what else did you say about that? "You could have gotten Lowell in a separate trade". Yeah, right. WHO WANTED LOWELL AT THAT POINT? And why would the Sox want Lowell in a separate trade when Youkilis was taking over at 3B and only moved to 1B because Lowell was forced on them to get Beckett, the pitching hero of the last championship?

Well, hate monger, as it happens, Lowell -- if you'd spend half as much time fact checking as being an asshole -- was one of the most solid Sox this season (compare his production to games played prior to aggravating the injury in September). But, keep talking -- you've never let facts stand in your way. You really ought to apply at Fox News.

You are the only person I have ever known who continues to lament that trade, who doesn't rate it as at least even because the Sox won a world championship with Beckett.

Perhaps you should get out more.

Edit to say that in that rookie year, when he played "his natural position", Teixeira made an astounding SEVEN errors in only TWENTY attempts. And in 85 career games at 3B in the minors, his fielding percentage was .917. Yeah, that's his "natural" position.

Or, maybe he's a butcher at 3B which forced a change to 1B where he became an elite defender.

Ah yes, that's it... because fielding average tells us everything. Hey, turd burglar, try having a civil conversation just once in your life. Congratulations blowhard, you're the first to make my ignore list.

Yes, he was such a good minor league third baseman, he played a grand total of 85 games there - with an utterly shitty fielding percentage. Maybe, just maybe, he was such a special hitter, he had to be brought to the majors despite his horrid fielding. He played 15 games there in the last six years. It is utterly moronic to believe that anyone would consider moving him there, let alone that he would be interested in a team that would consider it.

And Mike Lowell, in July and August (he was placed on the DL August 14, so these are pre-injury stats) had an OPS of .580, for an astounding OPS+ of 54. When this team needed him the most (Manny gone or on his way out, Papi not ready to contribute) Lowell was completely MIA.

And its so nice to see that after a post in which the only remotely "nasty" thing I said was "what the fuck are you smoking?" I get "asshole powder" "turd burlar" (quaint Maine terms of endearment?) "hate monger" and "blowhard".

You've learned well, grasshopper.

I could see Tex going to either the Sox or the Yanks; just a matter of who wants him more and who's more willing to pay what Boras.... er, I mean Tex wants. Short-term it might be good; long-term? Well, look at the last Boras client who played for the Rangers and signed a long-term agreement with the Yanks..... A-FRAUD!!!

Knock yerselves out, guys. We'll continue to be mired in our own patented brand of mediocrity here in Rangerland/Jonestown/Loserville, but we'll enjoy watching the mudslinging from the NE area.

While I don't disagree with that assessment, you gotta remember: Tex is an egomaniac in a class by himself. He wants the big-time. The Angels aren't big-time. The Sox & the Yanks are big-time. I'm sure money will play a huge factor, but ultimately it's gonna come down to who can afford to pay Tex what he wants. And what he wants is to play in the spotlight. And that spotlight continues to shine in Boston and New York. Plus, the Angels can't afford the big money like the Sox & Yanks can.

Not complaining about that; it simply is what it is. For your sake, Dan and Thom, I hope the Yanks sign him. Name me one former Ranger who DIDN'T fizzle under the glare of the spotlight. Kenny Rogers, A-Fraud, Ruben Sierra, Kevin Brown, the list goes on....

Edited by Big Al

Not complaining about that; it simply is what it is. For your sake, Dan and Thom, I hope the Yanks sign him. Name me one former Ranger who DIDN'T fizzle under the glare of the spotlight. Kenny Rogers, A-Fraud, Ruben Sierra, Kevin Brown, the list goes on....

Agreed. But then there's lots Dan and I *should* agree on, but he's too busy being a prick. Oh... that's probably not appropriate.

The battle for Texeira will probably be a three team race and I just can't see the Angels letting him go (unless they have a replacement waiting) because they gave up a decent first baseman.

I can't see CC going anywhere but to the Yankees although I do hope the Sox make them up the ante big time.

My team (Mets) has a lot of work to do; good luck on fixing that pile of shit known as the bullpen. I might keep one or two of them but get rid of the rest. It will be a work in progress.

I can't see CC going anywhere but to the Yankees although I do hope the Sox make them up the ante big time.

Word is he loves hitting. How much that is worth to him, who knows? Probably not a lot, but it may be a factor. He's also a West Coast guy. (His fantasy football team is named the USC Buckeyes. He shared ownership with a friend and he said the USC was his contribution to team name.) I'm thinking he may be a Dodger. I wouldn't be that surprised if he was willing to leave a few million dollars on the table if he values that SoCal kind of living.

Its going to be a lot more than a few million dollars to leave on the table, if the Yankees do what everyone suspects - blow the next highest offer out of the water. With the $850,000 luxury boxes sold out, they can surely afford it. And here's something else to consider - the union has an interest in everybody taking the best financial offer they can, to "set the market". Supposedly Thome had a lower offer to go somewhere else (or maybe stay in Cleveland?) but got enormous pressure to accept Philly's deal. The same thing will happen to Sabathia.

OH ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME!?!??!?!?!?!?!?

Wakefield's option picked up

Look, Wake was super reliable for 50% of this season and I love him for being a good soldier. But the writing is more than on the wall... I can only hope that he has a Schillingesque season -- all pine.

Edited by Thom Keith

The bullpen blew seven saves for him. He tied for the team lead in quality starts. His WHIP and BAA were well below career numbers. He was 17-12 last year with an ERA that was .63 higher. No reason not to keep him around.

Having said that, I wouldn't want to see him pitch in October, unless he finishes on one of those rolls that he usually gets on at least twice a year.

I'm wondering if we should have a Hot Stove League thread for the Red Sox and one for all other teams so we can get some words in edgewise :P;)

The ignore feature, it turns out, is great for that. In fact, I've cut my reading time in half just by omitting one ranting author. Far out! :excited:

It does work great - I get the last word after consistently showing how foolish you can be (18 quality starts, one of the lowest BAA in the league? GET RID OF HIM!) (Hasn't played third base in six years, made a boatload of errors whenever he did? Sign him and put him at the Hot Corner!).

Edited by Dan Gould

It will be interesting to see if Manny signs up with the Dodgers with this two year $50,000,000 contract. It could be said that it's vastly more money then Manny deserves, but he did the impossible: got the Dodgers playing with emotion. Though it's a fact that the year before free agency seems brings out the best in players, even Andruw had a much better year in 2007 then in 2008. <_<

edit: to make some sense

Edited by louder

It will be interesting to see if Manny signs up with the Dodgers with this two year $50,000,000 contract. It could be said that it's vastly more money then Manny deserves, but he did the impossible: got the Dodgers playing with emotion. Though it's a fact that the year before free agency seems brings out the best in players, even Andruw had a much better year in 2007 then in 2008. <_<

edit: to make some sense

He might be the one guy that could get thru Andruw's thick skull on how to hit again...and to convince him that with 2 strikes, there is an 80% chance he will get a low and away slider, and to not swing...IF he could hit like he used to, IF he was in front of Manny...wow....

The "World Fucking Champions" open the 2009 MLB regular season on April 5 vs. the Braves.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

Wish baseball would forget about this World Championship bs in March and open the season earlier, gosh, the season almost went into November! What a waste of time. I'm already looking forward to new season -- football stinks.