Donald Byrd-Pepper Adams/Elvin Jones Mosaics

Couldn't find an appropriate thread for this, so...

Just many thanks to those who recommended these Mosaic to me. I ordered them (in a bank-breaking splurge) a while back. They came through a fortnight back and I've been working my way through.

The Byrd/Adams is an absolute joy - just 100% feel-good, exciting, heart warming music. I'd not listened to Byrd at all until earlier this year but am really taken by his way with a ballad in particular.

As for the Elvin Jones. Well, I've only got through the first 2 CDs so far - I like to play them a few times before moving on and am astounded. At first I thought...no piano...this might be a bit dry over so many discs! But my god, what excitement and invention. I've always loved the flute and been disappointed by how little you hear it in jazz; well Joe Farrell certainly makes the case for it on these discs. Jimmy Garrison is astonishing on the trio tracks, especially 'Sometimes Joie.' Anyone madly in love with the Coltrane Quartet of the early to mid-60s would love this set. I've been seeking a good Elvin Jones disc since hearing a marvellous broadcast from the Jazz Machine at Ronnie's several years back. The first two CDs of the set bring back that excitement even if it's a different set of musicians. I'll be exploring this one very slowly in the next few weeks!

Another good thing about the Elvin set is that you get to hear lots of George Coleman in a more "progressive" style than that on mot of his own records and those with Miles and others. This is the George that a lot of fellow tenor players enjoy hearing the most, for whatever hill of beans that is worth. ;)

Another good place to hear George w/Elvin is the Enja date recorded at the Vanguard. It's a trio w/Wilbur Little, with Hannibal sitting in on one piece. This album's sort of a "cult classic" amongst tenor geeks ("Laura" in particular is one of those "Oh My God!" type of performances), but I'm not sure if it's still readily available or not. So if you see it, buy it. I doubt you'll be disappointed!

If you like Byrd and Pepper, you might enjoy Pepper's 10 to 4 at the Five Spot, which is easily available as an OJC. It an often complaint, but Pepper doesn't get enough attention. There's a reissue on Quicksilver, which you can obtain directly from their web site, which is really vintage Pepper called Urban Dreams. Any Pepper in my book is worthing checking out. And if you can also get your hands on the Pepper Adams Quartet on Mode, that's a definite keeper as well.

Along the same lines as Byrd/Adams is the Thad Jones/Pepper Adams Quintet - "Mean What You Say".

f36813w60jy.jpg

It's got a "can't-miss" lineup of:

Pepper Adams - Sax (Baritone)

Ron Carter - Bass

Thad Jones - Trumpet, Flugelhorn

Mel Lewis - Drums

Duke Pearson - Piano

Also still in print.