Unfreakinbelievable Hail that hit south of Atlanta

BERIGAN

I JUST got home in time, somehow our car that has to sit outside doesn't have a ding, or a busted windshield. I guess the quality was a bit better in 1975...

I have never seen hail larger than maybe nickel sized, maybe one piece quarter sized. This sounded like our house would be destroyed. It was bouncing 2-3 feet in the air after hitting the ground!!!! :ph34r:

Here are some of the bigger pieces I brought in. How is that for weirdly shaped ice bombs????

DSCF2715.jpg

Edited by BERIGAN

We get stuff like that in Central Texas at least once a year. It sucks.

In 1995, Fort Worth had one hit downtown during Mayfest. Baseball sized hail comin' down like a big dog. People were killed, and some buildings, big building, suffered spo much glass damage that they were finally razed rather than repaired, that was actually the more cost-efficient route.

We ourselves had a patio cover collapse under the weight of a sudden rapid massive hail storm a while back. Nothing you can do, it comes down piles up, and don't melt fast enough. That shit is heavy, and....BAM.

We get stuff like that in Central Texas at least once a year. It sucks.

In 1995, Fort Worth had one hit downtown during Mayfest. Baseball sized hail comin' down like a big dog. People were killed, and some buildings, big building, suffered spo much glass damage that they were finally razed rather than repaired, that was actually the more cost-efficient route.

We ourselves had a patio cover collapse under the weight of a sudden rapid massive hail storm a while back. Nothing you can do, it comes down piles up, and don't melt fast enough. That shit is heavy, and....BAM.

Can't imagine getting that once a year! :ph34r: I guess everyone must have nice windshields, what with them being replaced every year.

That's one thing I can't figure out here. Why was it our car wasn't damaged?? Or our , or our neighbor's roofs, when the stuff was so big??? I was thinking, much of the hail was coming in at an angle, which might cause more of a glancing blow to the car, but the hail would still be hitting some roofs right on the button, so to speak.

They showed one highway were was hail so thick that once cars made a path, it looked all the world like snow had fallen, instead of haill. There is tornado damage around Georgia as well.

Can't imagine getting that once a year! :ph34r: I guess everyone must have nice windshields, what with them being replaced every year.

Usually it hits in rural or semi-rural areas, Also, there' usually enough advance warning that people can take the necessary precautions. Bt it's hell if you're in it, rural or urban.

The 1995 storm was crazy, since it happened during Mayfest, a kind of "street fair" that's held downtown. You had many more people out and about in the area than ususal, and, like I said, these type superstorms don't usually hit in the highly concentrated urban areas. But this one did, and it was crazy. Imagine walking around downtown with your family and all of a sudden these...rocks of ice start coming down on you, People got killed, really! And the local FW TV station (all of the big DFW stations are in Dallas, except for this one) broke into their regularly scheduled program, and the noise from the pelting was so loud it nearly drowned out the anchors - who were in the studio at their desks!

When these things hit in the urban areas, the damage is, as you can guess, in the hundreds of millions of dollars. Car dealers entire inventory gets hit, entire neighborhoods get roofing jobs, hey. Our property insurance rates get a nice hike every so often, not just becuase the state insurance commission is in the pocket of the industry, but also because of the huge losses sustained every few years when an urban hailstorm (sometimes accompanied by a tornado) hits.

We live at the butt end of "Tornado Alley" so you kind of expect it. But I can't say that I've heard of Atlanta getting this type thing. But then again, the weather's getting kinda weird all over these days...